Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Here is one for the experts in "What the heck is this!"

Strobing_NYC

So this was found in the Hudson Vally region of NY state as I'm sure most of you know its one of the oldest places of American history with Henry Hudson sailing up the river many many moons ago. I have no idea what this could be maybe an old school button but I have never seen anything like it EVER!
as you can see it has 4 small holes in it, and with a digital caliper it measures .50 of an inch and is not perfectly circular its off slightly which could be from sitting in the dirt for 100's of years?

Is it spherical in shape? Some years back while searching around an old Arizona mining camp/military outpost I found an item very similar to your find. My thinking was maybe an old iron "ball button" of some sort:shrug: Maybe others will chime in who have found something similar.?

Can you show us a picture of both sides? My first thought was a blow hole button from the early to mid 1700's, but after enlarging your picture I don't think so. A picture of both sides with a little of the dirt washed off might be a big help in identifying your button.

Thanks for the suggestions so far I will be posting better images this afternoon for everyone, sad part is i used to be a professional photographer lol well I guess I still am since you never loose the knowledge you have learned in the past.

Here are the better images as promised...
thanks for looking any ideas would be great as to what this thing is.
So its almost a perfect circle and like i said in top post its 1/2 inch wide, with 3mm holes I'm guessing where they would attach to clothing if it is a button.
the other small circular items I think are seals of some type they both have a "M" or "W" depends which way you hold it :) and one of them has a 55 on the back you can also see something around the edge like what's on a coin the little ridges

n/t

Just a guess but the button could be a mid to late 1800"s shoe button.

The lead items are probably bale seals. The white patina suggests they are old.

I also thought it was a bell but there is no indication of where a piece broke off maybe it broke clean off? I am leaning towards some type of button but what do I know :)