Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Here is one more thing that makes this hobby fun

iskirkra

That is researching your finds! I found this token at one of the oldest spots where there was activity in my area, and my area is not that old, the border between Texas and Oklahoma. The oldest coin I have ever found was at this location and it was an 1896 V nickel. I searched all the token databases and everywhere I could think of and could not find any information out about this token. It is in bad shape but says " Good for 5c in trade" and on the back says "Walter Ringe Fayette MO".

So I looked in the death records for the state of Missouri and found a Walter Ringe and he died in a car accident in 1924 in Boonville Mo which is just down the road from Fayette. He died from a broken neck in the accident. Maybe a Model T? On the death certificate it noted his occupation as "Pop Corn Wagon".

I continued to research and found the coroner's records for Missouri during that period and found the Coroner's report. It told who the other driver was and listed Walter Ringe's alias, and he was known as "The Popcorn Man".

So putting this all together I can guess this token was for trade at his Popcorn Wagon.

Maybe his wagon looked liked the picture. This missing piece is, how did that token get in my area? Will probably never figure that one out.

Love this hobby and the E-Trac.

HH -- Randy

Wow! That's a great read Randy. A HUGE Congratulations on the token and the diligence you took in tracking down the source. You're the "POPCORN" man now!!!! That was an interesting bit of history.

NebTrac

Way to dig...before and after the find!!!
HH,
Bunker

I love finding those tokens you got a good one there with a good story. I guess sometimes things stick you are the Popcorn man now.LOL

cool token, and an interesting read on your research finds too. Thanks!!...can we call you Orville??

jughed440 said:
cool token, and an interesting read on your research finds too. Thanks!!...can we call you Orville??

:rofl::rofl:

I am raising 3 grandkids and things are tight, now I am thinking the pop corn wagon might would bring in a few extra bucks!!

You can call me anything you want as long as you buy my popcorn!!!

Love the tokens !!!!

How neat! Next time I am up checking out the Howard Co. Historical Society (in Fayette) I will inquire further for you.

Maybe he traveled to different county/town fairs??