Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hidden Shields

Prep1957

I have a park I like to hunt which has been hunted by every coin hunter since the 1960'.It was hunted by me with my Safari at least a dozen times and Etrac CTX 3030 most recently to where most times you go there now you would be very lucky to find a coin.A friend of mine wife had got a detector.He asked if I would help her get started,detector was little higher than a mid range detector.I told her to go to this park since it was close and I would help her.You would select what you wanted to hunt by enabling certain boxes no ID read out.I enabled the nickel box with others and off we go hunting she gets a clear signal at 6 inches it turns out to be V nickel her first coin and a surprise to me also.She is hooked.15 feet from that spot she gets a clear hit again digs down about 6 inches again she says she has a cool looking token I look and it is worn shield nickel.I told her next signal she gets I want to check it with my Safari.She moves 4 feet from where she got shield nickel and gets a clear 8 inch read I check with my Safari it reads -2 in conductive before I get it clear it is another shield nickel.She does this 5 more times all shield nickels safari reads were from +5 to -2.Not bad first hunt 7 Shield Nickels and a V nickel.This is a $350.00 detector.Now I have pulled a lot of V nickels and shields out of here but that is even lower than I would hunt.The only thing I can think of was iron in soil was pulling nickel signal down.

Garrett 350-Got her in at 1804 Church 3 more Shields and 2 Nickel 3 cent pieces,Too dry for me to hunt went fishing instead.None of these coins look very good they turn red up here, but she is having fun.We need rain bad.

Using my safari the other day-relic mode solid 9 was a buffalo nickle -usually get these at a 14---Tony...

Am I correct to assume that while the #'s may not match what we are used to seeing that the tone was correct and not a Fe tone?

Isn't it amazing how different people do with different detectors..

Yes the tone would be correct.After following her around digging up all the nickels,costume jewelery,tokens I missed it dawned on me even hunting in open screen I would have not dug these in the past because most of these were coming in at 8 and 9 the same range as .22 shells which I hate to dig.I put blue non stick painters masking tape over my screen and was getting nickels and costume jewelry just going by tone.She never dug one .22 but got the nickels.I had dug several 3 cent silvers from this location over the years.One of the nickels was hiding a 3 cent silver in very good condition.