Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hidden WWW2 gold treasure and CTX

carrera4s

Greetings from Greece,
First of I'd like to share my happiness for this forum since it's an oasis of knowledge, experience and information for both metal detecting and our beloved CTX.
I own a CTX almost a year know and I've been trying to learn this machine as good as it gets. My main interest buying this machine as you can imagine, is to help me detect and dig up treasures where in my country are numerous and spread all over it. Just to mention, I don't mean archeological findings, because here the legislation frame is to strict and it's welcome since the country is full of history.
Now, 2 friends of mine experiencing many years of searching several locations in Greece for WWW 2 relics and treasures (mainly gold British pounds) which have been buried, dropped from aircrafts during the war (WW2). They are mostly organized concealed underground or in caves by the army or guerillas. We strongly believe that we are very close to some stuff after deciphering hidden signs on rocks, woods, maps and murals and after thorough studies, testimonies from that era survivors and of course after serious metal detecting using spot and long range metal detectors. These gold British pounds are in aluminum or iron cases (military ones where bullets were placed). We are talking about 1-5 of those cases, each of them including around 2-5000 pounds. Making the calculation, the weight of each case is around 16 kilos. Assuming that each of them is adjacent to the other, the total weight is going to be around 45 kilos.
At this point, I'd like to ask your expertise and any similar suggestion you may have regarding CTX capability to hit such target. Such stuff is buried around 1-2 meters deep and I am just wondering if CTX is capable to hit such volume of target so deep and if yes, is there any chance to be depicted on screen ( large blue shadow down and right maybe?) what kind of sound should I expect. Maybe it's so silly to ask this question, since I am almost sure but is there any chance to hit both the metal case and the gold inside or the aluminum (or iron) case will mas the gold?
Lastly, I'd like to let you know that the mineralization in soil here is almost everywhere low or moderate and in mountains and at such locations we've been searching the trash is pretty low.
As far as CTX's settings, I would be grateful if you have something specific to point out.
Thank you all in advance and every suggestion you may have will be warmhearted welcome.
Kind regards to all of you.

WoW
That would be an adventure of a lifetime.
I do not own a CTX sadly. Though I own an Explorer and other deep machines.
Big iron and big aluminum I suspect will both give near the same signal. At least on my machines.
Sizing in all metal and pinpoint would be your biggest clue. A signal the size of the cases your expecting to find I'd expect.
You could try burying a large aluminum lunch box and practice. A large rusty iron/steel plate or box similar in size from a scrapyard.
Though depending on how the aluminum was treated. Painted or anodized. It may be all but dissolved. White powder.
My Minelab and old Garrett's have found large objects at 4 ft +. I'm pretty sure your CTX is capable enough. Not a screaming signal. But solid and smooth.
You may want to look into one of the old or new two coil box coil machines. Garrett and White had some good ones. Cover more ground. And capable of seeing a large soup can at 15+ ft.
Good Luck.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your observations Odanscoils. Exactly as you described it, adventure of a lifetime!!! Being honest, there are numerus treasure hunters in Greece have been searching many years for such treasures.
Regarding CTX's settings, needless to say that I work it with almost zero discrimination and sizing setting on. I am a bit curious though, if in such depth, such volume of finding is going to be hit by the CTX. OK, yes I can do an air test with some large iron/steel boxes but I don't know if the sound and the TDI is going to be even similar with something which is buried for over 50-60 years and depending on how the soil has affected on them.