Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

High Trash vs Ferrous Coin

Bishop2012

This may be a dumb question but can someone give me a layman description of when you would use ferrous coin vs high trash? I notice on FC I can get double signal separations but many times I get one low in iron at bottom right and one around penny range but once I dig the iron both symbols are gone. Usually ends up being a rusty nail. On high trash this same item looks more like a scattered line crawling from bottom right to penny/coin area around 12-34.

I think I understand your question here. High Trash with the CTX is a mode you use to hunt that has a narrower
channel/more disk/ than just your coin mode. You can use either ground coin or ferrous coin option in the High Trash Mode.
As for the rusty nails, some will hit where pennies hit but if you look closely, you will see a lot of scatter around it when it is
on 12/34. Most of the time if you move from a north to south position over the target to an east to west position (1/4 turn over the target)
you will loose it or it will be very faint if it is a nail. Hope this helps.

Now I'm confused. I was editing a setting and the discrimination options included high trash or ferrous coin. I couldn't do both at the same time.

CTX-3030:
NOTE: Out of FOUR settings in Target Separation Menu - HIGH TRASH, LOW TRASH, FC Separation, and GC Separation, only one setting at a time can be selected from this Menu. A Target Separation Matrix (shown below and on page 41 of the Instruction Manual) can be very helpful in selecting an appropriate setting:
Target Separation Matrix

Both are for hunting for targets mixed with iron. From my understanding of it, if you have large iron target next to a coin, AND iron is disced out..... high-trash tries to respond to the coin while ignoring the iron. FC tries to show them both but separately.

I would like to edit to add this. the High trash isn't JUST for iron and coins. It causes the detector to respond to the strongest ACCEPTED target, even if that is a nickle next to foil, etc. The FC mode is specifically for separation of conductives and iron.

That makes sense from what I was seeing. Unfortunately I'm not sure I am reading the signals correctly. I would see what looked like two distinct targets but when I dug it was just a nail and the other ghost signal was gone. So, apparently I need more practice interpreting what I am seeing.

Bishop2012 said:
That makes sense from what I was seeing. Unfortunately I'm not sure I am reading the signals correctly. I would see what looked like two distinct targets but when I dug it was just a nail and the other ghost signal was gone. So, apparently I need more practice interpreting what I am seeing.

Some nails are just a PIA, especially the ones that are bent. Are you using a pinpointer? The CTX isn't good on detecting through open ground, if you still have a coin after digger the nail, it could still be there but harder to detect now. A pinpointer can tell you if there is still something in the hole.

But.... even with all that said, without actually being there, and knowing all your settings, and seeing exactly how the signal responds and pinpoints, we can't really understand. We are all just guessing at the problem.

Oh I completely understand. I'm just trying to glean some knowledge as best I can. I ordered Andys book and signed up for the Bootcamp in May so I should learn a lot. Yes, I do have a pointer, after using it I'm not sure I would want to hunt without one anymore.

Here are links to a couple Treasure Talk blogs I wrote for Minelab.

http://www.minelab.com/usa/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/ctx-3030-target-separation-more-than-a-random-choice

http://www.minelab.com/usa/go-minelabbing/treasure-talk/ctx-3030-target-trace-pinpoint-trace-smartfind-2-visually-identifying-multiple-targets

If you look through the Treasure Talk section of Minelab's website, you might find answers to questions you haven't even thought of yet! :thumbup:

While we are talking about High Trash setting.
I mostly run my pattern 2 with an open screen with very little discrimination..
Usually just one row across the bottom and part of the top side for the wrap around falsing.
Should High Trash only be used with discrimination since it tries to lock on to accepted targets?
Could I be doing more harm than good running very little discrimination while in this mode?
Thanks,
Bryan

Heh to expand on the previous question... Is there a way using the CTX to determine the mineralization levels in the soil? I'm unclear on how you determine that value.

Bryan V said:
Should High Trash only be used with discrimination since it tries to lock on to accepted targets?
Could I be doing more harm than good running very little discrimination while in this mode?
Thanks,
Bryan

Yes, the high trash mode was designed to be used with discrimination. If there is no disc, it's wasted use of the mode. That doesnt mean you should use a tiny slit of accepted targets, but it was designed to alert on the strongest ACCEPTED target.

Bishop2012 said:
Heh to expand on the previous question... Is there a way using the CTX to determine the mineralization levels in the soil? I'm unclear on how you determine that value.

Yes, you look at the suggested sensitivity level. The lower the sens level, the worse the ground interference is.

Bishop2012 said:

Someone more experienced should answer this question but as I understand it from Andy's book and the manual
the bottom reading on the screen tells you where your sensitivity is set on the left side in white. Then right beside
that in green is where the machine says the minimum setting for sensitivity should be.
That is based off the way I hunt in MANUAL SENSITIVITY. You can go to Auto + and it will show in white on the
left at the bottom of the screen that you are in auto and the machine is doing the work for you.

Chime in guys. Am I right on this?