Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Higher Sensitivity Equal More Depth?

stitchlips

I have only used the CTX on beaches and I was wondering what the pros think. Does a higher sensitivity give you more depth? I am not sure that it does. A higher sensitivity does seem to react better to targets that are not directly under the coil.

I have found several deep targets with a lower sensitivity setting of around 18 or so, but they were larger targets. Sunglasses and lead weights. So, anyone else care to weigh in?

Sensitivity definitely makes a difference in depth, however you have to be willing to put up with the noise. I recall doing an air test with several coils and the difference achieved using a manual compared to auto sensitivity was great. Now an air test doesn't replicate ground conditions exactly but it definitely gives you a feel for what the machine can do if you crank it up

GKMan said:
Sensitivity definitely makes a difference in depth, however you have to be willing to put up with the noise. I recall doing an air test with several coils and the difference achieved using a manual compared to auto sensitivity was great. Now an air test doesn't replicate ground conditions exactly but it definitely gives you a feel for what the machine can do if you crank it up

What worked best on your tests, manual or auto?

for depth obviously manual, but in real world conditions you can only run full bore so often without too much falsing.

Im an auto +3 guy. but I crank it up to max every now and then to see how long I can tolerate it.

From what I have seen over the years is the higher sensitivity not only is sensitive to non ferrous target, but also ferrous target so I have seen where the ferrous target can block out a non ferrous signal, so you don't get a good signal on the good target. On my Sovereigns and the Explorer I swear by manual sensitivity over auto and set them to a stable threshold, but on the E-Trac and the CTX 3030 I feel the auto +3 works the best for me, but that is me and feel I get lot less falsing and still gets great depth also. In manual I seem to get too many iffy signals that is rusty iron.

Rick

Rick(ND) said:
From what I have seen over the years is the higher sensitivity not only is sensitive to non ferrous target, but also ferrous target so I have seen where the ferrous target can block out a non ferrous signal, so you don't get a good signal on the good target. On my Sovereigns and the Explorer I swear by manual sensitivity over auto and set them to a stable threshold, but on the E-Trac and the CTX 3030 I feel the auto +3 works the best for me, but that is me and feel I get lot less falsing and still gets great depth also. In manual I seem to get too many iffy signals that is rusty iron.

Rick

I have found the same thing on the CTX-3030 but I've been limited to the types of soil because of the time of year. I can't wait to get out in late fall and winter to the hard to reach sites.

Without a doubt running that high sensitivity you're going to get those iffy signals. I have typically ran the high sensitivity in areas that are very clean and quiet and after I've already cleaned up using an auto sensitivity

I've done much testing on the CTX and E-Trac comparing Auto+3 to Manual settings. The Auto+3 is going to be stable, quiet, and give average depth performance. So, if you want to go deeper (that is, find smaller targets at greater depths), then you'll need to run in Manual. The fastest way to adjust the manual setting is to switch to MAN-30. The detector will likely begin chirping erratically. No problem, just lower the setting by two. If MAN-28 is still too unstable for your liking, after a few sweeps lower it again. Somewhere below MAN-30 there exists a spot which you are willing to tolerate - trading some audio chirpiness for extra depth. For me, I usually settle around MAN-24 or so in my ground.