Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hillsborough Military Academy Button

dblue

Me and my nephew went to an old Confederate camp a couple days ago and he dug this HMA button. He was afraid to try and clean it as it didn't look too good when he dug it, but, years ago, I came up with a method for cleaning buttons that has worked really well for me. I cleaned the button for him, and it turned out really Awesome....:) Here's a before and after.......

Attachments

• IMG_4262.jpg
    IMG_4262.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_4268.jpg
    IMG_4268.jpg
    748.6 KB · Views: 107
Wow what a nice button. How did you clean it?
It is a very nice button, I'm really happy with the way it cleaned up. I learned a long time ago that a nice valuable dug button can easily be de-valued really quick by improper cleaning. There's lots of methods that I have heard of people using, some simple and some not so simple. I'm no metallurgist by any means but I have experimented over the years with different methods with lesser valued dug buttons to come up with the method that I have been using for years now. I also have learned to never give advice to someone on how to clean a valuable button because if it doesn't turn out to their expectations it then becomes my fault....:)

Congrat's to your nephew on the save of that beautiful Confetrit' button, and Congrat's to you on the cleaning and preservation of the button. This button really cleaned up nicely and the detail is beautiful. Well Done. Is the backmark on the button as nice as the buttons front?

Congrat's to your nephew on the save of that beautiful Confetrit' button, and Congrat's to you on the cleaning and preservation of the button. This button really cleaned up nicely and the detail is beautiful. Well Done. Is the backmark on the button as nice as the buttons front?
The back is solid and intact but not as nice as the front, with close inspection can see Schuyler H&G N. York backmark.....

Attachments

• IMG_4272.jpg
    IMG_4272.jpg
    584.4 KB · Views: 84
It is a very nice button, I'm really happy with the way it cleaned up. I learned a long time ago that a nice valuable dug button can easily be de-valued really quick by improper cleaning. There's lots of methods that I have heard of people using, some simple and some not so simple. I'm no metallurgist by any means but I have experimented over the years with different methods with lesser valued dug buttons to come up with the method that I have been using for years now. I also have learned to never give advice to someone on how to clean a valuable button because if it doesn't turn out to their expectations it then becomes my fault....:)
Some insight to your method would be nice dblue. Grinding stone, man made chemicals, or some Mother Nature juice? Button sure does look purty.