Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

HMS Bounty has Sunk while trying to avoid Hurricane Sandy

Dodqe

14 Rescued from HMS Bounty, 2 Remain Missing
hms-bounty

One of the world's most famous ships, the HMS Bounty is a victim of Hurricane Sandy.
Initially the ship was reported to be "intact and upright" but subsequent reports say it has sunk.

The Bounty departed Connecticut last week and was underway to Florida, making efforts to sidestep the large hurricane moving up from the south.

According to a picture posted from the ship October 25, "Bounty has departed New London CT...Next Port of Call...St. Petersburg, Florida.
Bounty will be sailing due East out to sea before heading South to avoid the brunt of Hurricane Sandy."

Unfortunately, the ship succumbed to what initial reports are saying were 18-foot-seas, when the Bounty's Captain ordered everyone aboard to abandon ship.

According to WSAV 3, an NBC station out of Savannah, Ga. 14 of the 16 member crew have so far been rescued.

The HMS Bounty is a replica of the original 18th-century ship captained by William Bligh, who had an infamous disagreement with his acting Sailing Master, Fletcher Christian.
The Mutiny on the Bounty became a famous tale, made into a 1962 movie when a replica of the original Bounty was built. The ship caught in Sandy is the third edition of the original ship and appeared in Pirates of the Caribbean II.

On Saturday the Bounty posted the following text with a picture of heaving seas to its Facebook page:

"A SHIP IS SAFER AT SEA THAN IN PORT!
In the next few posts I will try to quell some fears and help to explain
some of the dynamics that are in Bounty's favor."

Riding the Storm Out...Day 2
I'm sure that Bounty's crew would be overwhelmed by all the prayers and best wishes that have been given.
Rest assured that the Bounty is safe and in very capable hands.
Bounty's current voyage is a calculated decision...NOT AT ALL... irresponsible or with a lack of foresight as some have suggested.
(image from previous storm)
bounty.jpeg

Riding the storm out...Day 3
Here are some readings from a weather bouy 150 miles east of Cape Hatteras, which is close to Bounty's current position.

[size=small]Station 41001
NDBC
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 14:50:00 UTC
Winds: ENE (70

tragic story....i had heard something about this story before the power went out and i was forced to live like the amish for one week..... i recently puchased a shipwreck map of the delmarva area and noticed a very very large percentage of the wrecks were indeed old sailing vessels of this type so to speak...... my sympathies to anyone who finds themselves in rough seas on a potentially sinking boat ..... while serving in the navy back in the 80 s the ocean going tug boat i was assigned to almost sunk off of hatteras ..... fortunatly we made it back toport after the storm let up ,but man thats the most scared ive ever been i my life...... thanks for posting the story dodge.....