Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Honest experience with etrac and AT pro or gold

John (Ma)

Anyone have or had the AT pro or gold and can compare to the etrac? Is the etrac really going to be worth that much more? I have been contiplating each machine. I had an etrac in the past and was not ready for it and I know it loves silver. I have been eyeballing the AT series as well and was looking for some honest experiences on wether the Etrac is worth all the extra cash. Thanks

it gives you a ton more information about the targets plus tons more of options for setting it up

Get the Etrac, you'll be very happy you did!

I went from the AT Pro to ETrac. Still learning it but don't regret the switch a bit. The ETrac is gonna offer so much more. That being said, I only gave good things to say about Garrett and the AT Pro.

Heres a Link to what a friend of mine wrote to me about the AT Pro compared to his E-trac.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?79,2017333

I always had the mind set that you don't need a high priced machine to find the good stuff. That is until my ATpro and M6 couldn't even hit several deep coins a buddy of mine located with his etrac. No matter how I set them up it just wasn't happening. I watched as he dug a Merc and Barber at 8+ inches. 2 weeks later I had an etrac and my silver and nickel count went way up. It hits gold great too. Plus in my opinion it's better in the trash than the ATpro. Now is the ATpro a slouch? Heck no! It's a great machine especially for it's price. I've owned 4 - Atpro's and 4 - M6's and they are top of the line machines. Actually the Etrac and Atpro make a great pair.

The ATP is like a 30-06 rifle ... good all around, but not the best at anything.

I've got both and thoroughly enjoy both. Each one has its advantages and they are a good pairing. My hunting buddy use to out hunt me with his Etrac and me running the pro. However there were many times when I would find more than him, and it convinced me that if you step over it with an adequate machine you will find it. I had a friend with a CTX humble me in the depth dept. My hunting buddy moved up to the CTX and I moved up to the Etrac. On our first hunt after the upgrade he waisted me in all depts but since that time we have been about equal. The Etrac gets deeper but the ATP is waterproof like the CTX.Both great machines. My ATP has paid for itself many times over but I haven't hunted long enough with my Etrac to recover its cost as of this date.

I also have an Explorer SE and a DFX and love using them for a change. I love the variety of all my machines and would be hard pressed to part with either one. I wished someobut could mix all of their attributes into one machine but that would just make all the others useless. Enjoy all of them,I do.

Atpro is a good machine but the Etrac will eat its lunch in the trash fields. I know because i have both and the etrac is hard to beat. A guy that knows the Atpro would be a formidible adversary but the E has better discrimination and that is the secret to hunting trash. Too many people dont take the time to learn what they are doing and are in a big hurry to get rich and pass up targets all the time. I hunted with 2 guys yesterday with an Atpro and a 3030 and i followed them through a trash field and dug out silver they didnt see. They were in a hurry to cover ground while I am content to go slow and be a detective. This may be a bold statement but I say the Etrac is the best macine on the market. Weaknesses...yes but when you learn it not much sneaks past you. Spend the cash and get the Etrac. If you wanna be flashy get the 3030. Get the Atpro and you have a good machine but it has its shortfalls too.

Excellent feedback thus far and encourage any others as well, thank you!

duggr said:
Heres a Link to what a friend of mine wrote to me about the AT Pro compared to his E-trac.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?79,2017333

"""use an AT-Pro as lightweight backup for my Etrac, especially on rainy days miles back in the woods!"""

Exactly why I bought an AT Gold. A good backup machine that doesn't mind a little rain...and nugget hunting when traveling west

Ive got both and think they compliment each other. In a light rain yesterday I was beach hunting, no worries, with my AT gold. And the AT gold will get some decent depth so no problem there. The Etrac is deeper for sure and can be customized more plus one of the biggest benefits for me is salt water locations......it excels there.
NEL coils are available for both also so lots of coil options for both.
If you hunt water at all, just wading, don't try the Etrac there. The way the rod is designed water can shoot up the inside of the shaft, had it happen with an Explorer years ago. I don't wade the Etrac, ever..

I also have and use both though my eTRAC is my goto detector.
Here's my personal take.

ATPro compared to eTRAC
Plus's
-lighter weight
-waterproof
-uses less batteries, less weight
-extremely short learning curve
-can detect certain small gold jewelry
-iron mode
-faster recovery
Minus's
-less depth
-low number of discrimination resolution points
-no continual auto ground balance
-no auto sensitivity setting
-only 2 EMI noise cancelling frequency channels
-no threshold tone

eTRAC compared to ATPro
Plus's
-much greater target depth
-much much more discrimination resolution points
-auto ground balance
-much more EMI noise cancelling channels
-much more options (ferrous, conductive, etc.)
-auto sensitivity setting
-adjustable threshhold tone
Minus's
-heavier
-uses more batteries (more weight)
-not 100% waterproof
-occassionally cannot detect certain some small jewelry (small split rings, chains, etc.)
-longer learning curve
-slower recovery
-very expensive