Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Horsepower of the V nets the coin I've been wishing for all year:thumbup:

Ytcoinshooter

Watching the snow pile up today with the warm glow of a satisfying hunt under my belt. I got out yesterday to a lake bed I've been hitting in Oct & Nov as the water is draining for dam restoration. I put a write up in today's finds. Now since there's some activity here with some new to the V series users I thought my experience yesterday might be of interest. There is one area I found at the lake that a big coil is practical where the trash isn't dense and I can work it with my 12"x10" SEF. The other areas of activity around the lake have to many targets under a coil this size at the same time. I'm lucky in that I've got one with a good null, very stabil coil away from interference. There is no EMI / RFI at the old swimming spot on this lake that is not a swim area or beach currently. I can run it hot and work slow. I thought about how great it is to go in there with the V3i in a place that normally Id have to (and have when the water was up) work with a dedicated water unit. Some of the key settings: 5kHz band pass, sensitivity RX 8 am 76 disc 96, recovery 96, all VDI numbers -95 through +95 with zero tone for -95 thru -1, all other VDI's use the stock tone settings. I run best data and these are some of the tweaks in my version of the HiPro program. On November 4 I used the same coil and settings to hit a 1917 Walker about nine inches down in the sandy bottom and it was flanked by 2 silver Washington quarters when I found signals to the sides and widened the hole. Yesterday I got a solid 1/2 dollar hit at an indicated 8" and after playing with the signal I was certain it was no can. Small pinpoint and yet I didn't loose it raising the coil about 6 to 8 inches over where I pinpointed. Busting with anticipation I scooped to the side of where it pinpointed. Then I ran the pinpointer along the sides till I located it and exposed the tarnished edge using my finger. At that point I called my stepson over from where he was detecting. When I saw stars along the rim I let out a hoot. I haven't dug a Barber silver all year and was hoping for any before the end of the year. Silver half #8 this year, double last years 1/2 count, the most in one year for me.
cleaned up

Later I swapped detectors out and headed to the other side of the lake. I got rush thinking I might of had a 90% silver $ when I popped a big tarnished coin. Turned out to be a '72 IKE. the eagle has landed
One more thing that I forgot to include in my post in today's finds is this pic. Kinda made me pause for a minute if you can read it
A great day to be grateful for as I watch the snow here. Thank goodness we don't have to deal with the lake effect snow like upstate NY and the other states that deal with it.
HH - Bruce

Nice finds! Looks like you have an excellent understanding of the "V". I've only had mine for a few days now and hope to get out this weekend - even if it's cold here in NJ.

Very nice write up as usual. Super finds.

Congratulations....big silver is hard to come by these days.....a testament to the 'tector and the operator!!

Wow that is deep Going to take my 10x12 out Sunday and see if I can do what you did!!

nalc472, I think there are a few factors that enabled me to pull deep coins with the 12"x10".
1) low trash density - biggest consideration
2) no EMI
3) I knew there were deep silver coins there from having dug 3 walkers and several silver quarters there since Oct. 7 from similar depths.
4) the half dollars are big targets compared to dimes & cents

Having worked with that coil over deep coins in a test plot in my yard I knew what to listen (audio) and look for (VDI behavior). I was confident if I got into an area where there would be less target masking and crept along rechecking, centering over every spurious high audio tone I was doing the best I could to up my odds. It's nice coil but like any tool recognizing where it's best applied saves a lot of frustration.

Good luck Sunday and post up your impressions.
HH - Bruce

Don't you just wish the Coin could tell you the story of how it got there. Back in those days that was a lot of money to lose.

Nice hunting. Nice digs too. I haves 12x10 also and I can push it pretty hard. Right tool for the right job.

Bruce,

Congratulations on your 1907-O Barber Half. That's good hunting! I hope that you get a break in the weather so that you can hit that site again. Best of luck and ...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

Thanks, the weather here is unsettled, raw and wet or sunny and hovering around freezing or below. Fortunately snow is not a factor for now. I did get back there once after this post to see if there was possibly anything more from the productive strip where I found most of the silver coins, 3 gold rings and 4 silver half dollars. I went over the area with my PI Pro retrofitted with the dual field coil. The detector ran great but there were no more coins lurking. It's a big lake so I'm checking other areas for good targets when time and weather allow. The other areas do have more of a trash problem so the 12x10" will have to get parked. Places like this are a window of opportunity that will close too soon if not taken advantage of. We are slipping into the season of researching sites and the infrequent chilly hunt on the beach after a nor'easter.
HH - Bruce

Bruce, you have a good site there. With your equipment and skill, I'm sure that you will squeeze every good find that's possible out of that area. As far as research season is concerned: I liken it to handicapping a horse race, analysis, history, instinct, and experience (and of course a little bit of luck!) and then the anticipation, excitement of placing the bet and cashing the ticket. Judging from your "track record", I would expect that come spring, you will be cashing your share of tickets! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

I ran my 10x12sef at RX 5 yesturay and noticed that it is quite stable and deep at that RX gain. Any thoughts?

nalc472 said:
I ran my 10x12sef at RX 5 yesturay and noticed that it is quite stable and deep at that RX gain. Any thoughts?

I've recently begun running my 10x12 on the V3i as low as RX2 and DS at 100. It almost doesn't even need a grond balance...it's that quiet. It easily hits the easy stuff down to 6 inches here in Texas on buried stuff, and going up to RX3/DS95 gets me 9 inches. Pumping gain high is a detriment IMO. I've done exactly "that" for most of my ownership with the V3i. These bigger coils don't need the power. Lesson learned here.

Lots of headroom between RX2 and RX10. Use the DS sensitivity is my advice.

My 12x10" has a good null, it passes the RX 15 test. At low gain it hits deep as everyone noted, running it at 6 to 8 works well for me. I choose where I set it carefully and have the ability to really push it where EMI and trash concentrations allow.