Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How about a sticky post of favorite settings used on the Equinox - for clarification please indicate model (600 or 800)

JimmyCT

I feel this post may be beneficial for newcomers or for those just looking for recommendations / ideas on how to set up the Equinox.

I utilize the Equinox 800 mainly to hunt parks, fields, woods and private homes. Up to this point (4/22/2020) This combination of settings has given me the best results and is exactly what I need for my hunting situations. It provides me with the best depth and has excellent sniffing capabilities in iron.

Park 1 - Multi - Freq
Always noise cancel and perform it frequently throughout my hunts. Not so much when I am not close to civilization though.

No threshold
Ferrous volume - 1, Non-ferrous volume - 25
GB - 0
sensitivity - 23
50 tones
Recovery speed - 4
F2- 0
Very slow coil speed

Park 2
Manual ground balance
No threshold
GB - manual
sensitivity - as high as it will go until it becomes unstable
5 tones
Recovery speed - 5
F2- 0
All metal mode

I have really good luck finding silver with these settings

I am not new to metal detecting but, to the Equinox I am. I hope people add to this post.

I feel this post may be beneficial for newcomers or for those just looking for recommendations / ideas on how to set up the Equinox.

I utilize the Equinox 800 mainly to hunt parks, fields, woods and private homes. Up to this point (4/22/2020) This combination of settings has given me the best results and is exactly what I need for my hunting situations. It provides me with the best depth and has excellent sniffing capabilities in iron.

Park 1 - Multi - Freq
Always noise cancel and perform it frequently throughout my hunts. Not so much when I am not close to civilization though.

No threshold
GB - 0
sensitivity - 23
50 tones
Recovery speed - 4
F2- 0
Very slow coil speed
What a GREAT idea earthlypotluck...! I'm still a semi beginner with my Equinox-600 and I'm sure all of us with beginners would love to see what the experienced
and successful users are using for setting, AND in what situations. I like your format.... I hope the others follow it.... and yes..... specify the 600 or 800 model.

For salt water hunting, I use Beach 1 with the Equinox 800 even when in the water (note; Beach 2 is recommended for in water use). Just feel like I know Beach 1 and it is weighted toward higher detection frequencies and is better at detecting smaller gold like, my favorite, solitaire ear rings. Beach 2 is weighted towards lower detection frequencies to reduce noise when in salt water and to make it run more quiet. Great for coins and larger gold rings in the surf. But not sure about small gold chains and ear rings. Other variables under Beach 1 are just personal preferences, but I am a 2-tone kind of guy with background the slightest above threshold and sensitivity as high as I can get away with (19-23). So, Beach 1 it is in the water ...I don't mind a little chatter...been married 40 years.
Found Solitaire Ear Rings 2020.jpg

Equinox 600 user here. Please bear in mind that I am far from being an expert with the machine! If I am hunting a park I use Park 1. If I am hunting a field I use Field 1. All of my settings are pretty much factory. I always noise cancel every time I change something such as sensitivity or switching from Park 1 to Field 1. I like and use the FE 2 setting with iron bias at 0. I also use the 5 tone setting even on Field 1. My sensitivity ranges from 18-23 depending on the EMI in the area. In our rich black soil I do not ground balance. I am probably forgetting something but that's pretty much what I use. Last year I had 11 silver coins total and I have 7 already this year. It just depends on how I feel to go hunting. My goal is 30 silvers for this year! Good luck and HH! Ted

Jim ( Earthlypotluck) (aka guru):clapping:, after you finally convinced be to buy an Equinox, and setting it up similar to what you suggested to start with, I have not seen the need to do much adjusting for my area and
have been doing well at sites that I have been detecting for quite a while.
My settings are as follows:
Park 1
Sensitivity 23-24
No threshold
50 tones.. ( I started out with this from day one and have not even thought about changing it)
Ground balance at 0 ( have tried ground balancing, but did not see any improvement in my soil)
Iron volume at factory default
I have not been using all metal mode
Iron bias at 0 (F2)
Recovery speed set at 4
I also have been switching back in forth between using the wireless headphones and a pair of Garret MS-2 headphones (I like using both)
And most importantly.. slow down and give the detector time to do it's work.
Theses settings have netted me 53 silver coins so far since last October and 42 of them were found this year so far!!
Now I am not an expert by any means and not trying to brag about how many coins I have found, but more stating how good this detector is at finding silver at heavily hunted sites.
My best day so far is six silver dimes in one day... a new record for me!!

Last edited:
Guys...One thing I forgot to mention is to turn your cell phone to airplane mode while hunting. I hunted an old school today and only got a piece of copper pipe. My detector was chattering quite a bit no matter what I ran for sensitivity. I then went to a small park and it did the same thing. Right there I realized that my phone was in my pocket. I turned it over to airplane mode and badda bing! no more chatter and I ran at 21 for sensitivity. No silver but a good bit of clad.

Guys...One thing I forgot to mention is to turn your cell phone to airplane mode while hunting. I hunted an old school today and only got a piece of copper pipe. My detector was chattering quite a bit no matter what I ran for sensitivity. I then went to a small park and it did the same thing. Right there I realized that my phone was in my pocket. I turned it over to airplane mode and badda bing! no more chatter and I ran at 21 for sensitivity. No silver but a good bit of clad.
My cell phone is so old it does not have an airoplane setting but when detecting on Cornish beaches no point having it on as I would not get a signal anyway:LOL::LOL: