Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How can I find out about a ghost town?

cyberdan (SoCA)

I know the town of Centerville, CA existed, many people have told me about it. But I can not find any internet info on it. It is about 15 miles south of Eureka.

Perhaps talk to a local historical society, or libraries if the internet isn't showing anything.

Google earth should show old roadbeds, also old,cemeteries usually remain unless they were relocated for public works projects.. dial back the history timeline in google earth and you can see things as the seasons change. Locating old fords/ stream crossings usually isn't too difficult. Those waterways were crossed/used many times prior to bridges being built.... also the courthouse should have old land maps that's were used for tax purposes.... you will find little pieces and have to interpolate and extrapolate those details..... try googling historical maps of when the county was first formed, and they will generally show primary settlements at the time the county boundaries were drawn up....

kingingkunsan said:
good site for ghost towns. But I did not see Centerville. Maybe you could dig deeper.

I couldn't find it either. But I found out there is a ghost town just a few miles from where I used to own 14 acres. Believe it or not the town is called Waldo.

So I am asking WHERE'S WALDO?

Josephine county Oregon.

I posted my question back before Christmas and since then I did some library research and found out a lot about it.

I also did research about a town I was going to move to. I was staying in Eureka, CA for three months waiting on my home to be finished about 80 miles north. So I went to the local library at least three times a week to their research room. (it is quiet, warm and no homeless)

I found out so much about my new town, Crescent City, CA. The library in Eureka has 10 times the research material on my new county than my local library.

So if you guys have not tried your library go give it a visit. It might have a special room just for research on your local area.