Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How deep can a Ace 150 and a 250 air test a dime ??

Air tests mean nothing as in my 44 years of beeping I have yet to encounter anyone who detects in the air. You didn't specify in which mode or at what sensitivity settings. It does make a difference dontcha know.

Bill

A 250 in all metal at full sensitivity should get about 8-9 inches. The faster you sweep the coin past the coil the deeper it reaches ( such is the nature of a motion detector ).. A quarter should hit about ten. I have recovered quarters in damp bark chips at ten inches.

Bill

Air testing is only slightly helpful for use as a reference point. Don't rely on it for much. My detector does best in clean, semi loose, damp soil or at least that's what I seem to find. Don't worry to much about depth. Good technique will improve your depth more than a top end machine.

I came up with 5-6 inches depending on how fast I was winging the dime by.

Chris

Yeah some tectors will air test better in an air test than in the real world and some will test vice versa, so it's a real crapshoot to come up with anything credible and dertermines nothing - other than your tector is working and will detect a coin.

Bill

Sens maxed out. Stock coil. Solid beep. 17 inches divided by 2 ='s 8.5 on my machine. Maybe I got a hot one?

Thanks bros, sounds like its deeper than the compadre air test and deeper than my golden umax , my frend is looking for a good detector and looks like the ace will be a good one , and i know soil conditions will limit depth based on the amount of minerals in the ground

With sensitivity at #6 I was getting khouse's results. That's about as unstable as I can stand when hunting. Normally it''s at four bars.

I'm blessed with some mild sweet soil. I can run the sniper at full sens, stock coil at full and the 9x12 at 7 bars. Believe it or not I have been using the 9x12 in the tot lots. 2 bars of sen get me within 2 inches of the supports. Then 4 bars in the open. Yesterday at 4 bars I dug 3 coins that were at least 6 inched deep. I really love this big azz coil!

Yeah the 250 has surprised many a beeper swinger. That's one reason why Garret sells a trainload of them every month.

Bill

khouse said:
I'm blessed with some mild sweet soil. I can run the sniper at full sens, stock coil at full and the 9x12 at 7 bars. Believe it or not I have been using the 9x12 in the tot lots. 2 bars of sen get me within 2 inches of the supports. Then 4 bars in the open. Yesterday at 4 bars I dug 3 coins that were at least 6 inched deep. I really love this big azz coil!

Hmmmm, very interesting about that big coil.

The big coil has to be swung real slow next to the metal but you can do it. No it's not as good as the sniper for this. The sniper is king around and under metal. Lately I've been hitting tot lots with limited time to hunt. So I use the 9x12 to cover it faster. I'll go back another time with the sniper to finish up. The big coil may be Garrett's best kept secret?

Let's face it, people are going to play with the air test. Just for the heck of it, here is an air test I just did with a new Ace 250. All coins were silver except for the penny and nickel of course. S-8 is Sensitivity setting of 8, S-6 is Sensitivity of 6 and S-4 is Sensitivity of 4. Distances round down to the nearest 1/4"

______________9x12 Coil - All Metal____________|____________6x9 Coil - All Metal
-
_________S-8_________S-6_________S-4_______|______S-8_________S-6_________S-4
-
1c_______10"_________9"__________7 1/2"_____|______9"__________8 1/4"_______6 1/2"
-
5c_______10 1/4"______8 3/4"_______7"________|______9 1/2"_______8"__________6"
-
10c______10"_________8"__________6 1/2"_____|______8 1/2"_______7 1/2"_______6"
-
25c______11"_________9"__________7 1/2"_____|______9 1/2"_______8 1/4"_______7"
-
50c______11 1/2"______9 3/4"_______8 1/4"_____|______10 1/2"______9 1/4"_______7 1/2"
-
1.00______11 3/4"_____10 1/2"______8 1/2"______|______10 1/2"_____9 1/4"_______7 1/2"

What surprised me was the half dollar and dollar wasn't detected as much as I thought it should be. The air test was repeated twice with the same results. Also, the distances were the same for All Metal, Jewelry and Coin Modes. This surprised me a little bit also. As soon as it stops raining and drys up some I'll see what it does in my test garden. I have silver dimes from 1" to 4" in 1 inch increments and from 4" up to 12" in 1/2" increments. They have been in the ground since 1974, 35 years and have gotten deeper somewhat over the years.

Sorry about the underlining, original post removed all my spaces and it was very hard to read.

On notch machines I find no difference in depth in any notch configuration. It the progressive discriminating machines (non notch) there is a difference.