Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How do you detect if deaf?

Robert2300

Someone asked that a few posts back.
"How do you detect being deaf?"
That's a good question for Garrett. I bet he or anyone
with electronics back ground could come up with
something...an attachment...that would vibrate and
let you know when you were "ON TARGET." You
could plug it into the head phone jack. Does anyone
have any ideas? Any creative geniuses out
there? No harm in asking.
Robt2300

Its a problem that has been mentioned many times before and too be honest nothing really has ever been developed,of course some folks may have totally lost hearing and that is a massive blow especially for folks that like detecting,but i am pure guessing here but it would be a financial and manpower investment for the detector makers for such a small minority of deaf users,so i am guessing this is the reason why.Of course i stand to be corrected on this one.

One item i did notice on the largest selling platform in the world that has 4 letters and starts with a 'E' and end with a 'y' a small plug in adaptor that worked by i think it was sound operated led lights ie green for a good target and i assume a red one for a bad target,it was i think about $20 or abouts and no bigger than a box of matches,this system as i understand it worked great but alas it only worked for the Garrett Ace series of detectors and no other one.

This LED light setup was designed for illegal detecting at night,but it was promoted as being a tool for hard of hearing,if this system worked on the Garrett audio socket i dont think it would be hard to adapt for other makes and model,but not being a electronics whizz kid it may be a problem with other models.

Just some input on a possible solution.

Already done twenty odd years back for use with detectors in water. A vibrating pad. The first few Whites diving P.I.'s used this method before underwater headphones were developed.

Modern update is on the Nokta Fors Core. Apart from a digital metered display on the handgrip of the machine the handgrip also can be switched into a vibration mode. Ideal for the hard of hearing.

I've seen a plug in , vibrating accessory just recently. Can't remember where I saw it though. ( no , not at the local adult XXX store ) . Think it plugs in where the headphones would. I'll post if I find it.

There is a plug in light available ..It plugs into the headphone connector and lights up when a target is found..

I have seen several people use this device..and it seemed to work well for them... That in conjunction with a meter should make detecting possible for the hearing challenged. Or simple beep & Dig turned into light up and dig...

Nokta has a new detector that has a vibration mode in the handle, designed with the hearing impaired in mind. Nokta fors CoRe Coin and relic machine. Nice looking machine. I want one, just trying to justify the thousand bucks though. kellyco is selling them.

My deaf sister-in-law is interested in metal detecting. A few months ago I showed her how to use my AT Pro by reading the screens and how to use the pin pointer using the vibrations to focus in on the target, She was really excited about the idea. Also showed her a few detectors on-line and digging tools.

My guess is she will end up finding lots of stuff

I am deaf, also two friends of mine are deaf. All of us use Vibr-phone 280. It work good for us! My friend and I use Minelab E-Trac but we add "L" Plug that work on Minelab but I don't know about Fisher. Add plug have one black line that work on E-Trac. I am not electric expert but My good friend is electric expert and told me to add plug on vibra-phone 280 because It have two tiny lines on plug that wouldn't work on E-Trac so I added "L" plug from RadioShack and it work! Here's picture of "L" Plug and you can see one black line at end of the plug that work on Minelab! My other deaf friend have Whites and don't need special plug.

ChicagoJohn said:
I am deaf, also two friends of mine are deaf. All of us use Vibr-phone 280. It work good for us! My friend and I use Minelab E-Trac but we add "L" Plug that work on Minelab but I don't know about Fisher. Add plug have one black line that work on E-Trac. I am not electric expert but My good friend is electric expert and told me to add plug on vibra-phone 280 because It have two tiny lines on plug that wouldn't work on E-Trac so I added "L" plug from RadioShack and it work! Here's picture of "L" Plug and you can see one black line at end of the plug that work on Minelab! My other deaf friend have Whites and don't need special plug.

This plug most likely coverts the normal three conductor (stereo plug) to a two conductor (mono) plug. And is readily available from places like RadioShack. Does the E-Trac not use a stereo headphone jack?

Mark

Excellent. Thanks for all the wonderful information.
We really need to have a place for this kind of information
on FIndmall.
Robt2300

Just gonna throw this out there for conversation...what if a headphone mfg, made the ear cups with several vibration points in them? Picture the face of a clock around the periphery of an ear, then, the signals, instead of being audio, would vibrate a signal to a different area around your ear depending upon the composition of the target, its size, depth, etc. just like audio does?? The ear is a sensitive place, just feel around yours right now...you get the idea?:shrug: Just sayin'... a vibrating handgrip is better than nothing, but not the same as some delicate feedback relayed to the headbone...
Mud

It just ocurred to me that a headset that plugged in just
like a regular headset, only IT VIBRATED like heck and knocked
your socks off might work. Seriously. Any electronics experts out
there willing to try to fabricate something like this? It might really
take off.
Robt2300

How about a hat instead of earphones? Earphones suck in so many ways anyhow, so how about a hat with vibration pads placed all the way around the brim? A hard silver tone would hit you right between the eyes! We are really brainstorming now! Somebody go and get me some more beer! Hot Dizzley Damn Me and Bob are on a roll here brothers!:beers:
Mud

Could be as simple as using one or two mobile phone vibrators wired inside a head set. With a on off switch. Silent hunting at its best . Also you could add different vibrating modes for good targets and bad targets . just a thought ..

What scuba divers have used is called a bone phone. It's a vibrating pad that they slip under their diving hood right behind their ear.

It's currently sold as an accessory for the AquaPulse metal detector and can be seen on the Kellyco website.

I have an old AquaSport metal detector that was developed by Mel Fisher and Eric Foster and was used by Donnie Jonas back in the Atocha days and it has a bone phone.
Might be the first use of this I have to research that.

Here's pics.

ROBOCOP

I like this whole subject!..deaf or not, everybody says primary metal detector engineering technology has hit the wall, under Hz constraints so to speak...but NOT hearing technology!

So, it would be a natural progression for a plucky mfg to develop 'signal transference technology' through some other medium than traditional sound...vibration into the headbone is the logical conclusion, deaf or not, the headbone is the most sensitive and accurate way to deliver a signal to the human CPU...and you dont need eyes or ears for that...whoever figures this out and comes up with a comfortable aftermarket product to replace the basic headphone will have a path to riches...all the basic tech is there, its a matter of incorporating it into a product that is efficient for we do..not only for us, but in all sorts of venues where headphones are currently utilized..:shrug:.
Mud