Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How do you detect if deaf?

when I used to go to competion hunts there were a few deaf hunters there. maybe you could contact the fmdac or some of the bigger hunt sponsors. I can't remember any of their names. good luck

The AquaPulse metal detector can use a bone phone or headphones so I don't think there has to be any new electronics in the metal detector.

Probably a simple adaptor or connector changeout could make a bone phone conversion to any detector.

The Kellyco ad says the vibrating pad can be used under the diver's hood or held in his hand.

ROBOCOP

I am very hard of hearing and completely deaf in many of the higher tones and over 80% gone in the other tones, so hearing is important for me. It took me a while to find a set of headphones that will work for me and some work on one detector and yet on another they are not loud enough for me to hear them well. On my Sovereigns i have to use a set call the Timberwolfs while on my Explorers and E- Trac they were not loud enough and found the Troy Pros gave me good volume. On my CTX a set of the Uni Probes seem to work good for me plus I have a excellent pin pointer too all in one.
Back few years ago I did a Field test for a company (don't remember the name) and this was a unit that plugged into the headphone jack and had a small red light on a wire that attached on the rod down by the coil so when you got a hit it would light up. Now when you were right over the center the light would be the brightest which was a good idea to help center your target. Being I use a Sovereign with their different tones for IDing I had to always check the meter which I did not like. I feel as I told them if they could use different color lights as the light would change color with the different tones it would be a slick item for those of us that are either deaf or very hard of hearing.
Because of my high tone loss I could never run my Explorers with the variability maxed out as it would sound like a null to me, so I had to run the factory settings or a little lower. The Sovereign was not as high pitched and the high tone was sweet tone for me with a good set of headphones that block out all background noise.

Rick

I tried light and I don't like it! I like vibration because I keep eye on id target numbers and feeling vibration! I don't like look at target number and light at the same time! That's me and all my deaf friends prefer vibration like Vibra-phone 280. I have 4 because of what if one don't work OR company out of business!

It would be trivial to build an arduino based device that could plug into the headphone jack and then buzz a buzzer at different speeds depending on the frequency of the headphone signal so the buzzer would be able to pass along any tone ID information. I recently built a similar device that turned on and off strings of leds depending on the frequencies of the music that was playing. Someone could use the same code but make slight modifications to the code base in order to make it buzz a buzzer instead of light up lights. Probably cost <$40 or so to build.

Here is the code. It was written for an arduino uno but should run ok on an arduino mini which would be a better form factor for such a device. All you would need to do is hook up the headphone jack output to analog pin 0 and then rewrite the led output code to output a vibration frequency on one of the digital pins and then hook up the buzzer to that pin and ground. You could 3D print a case for it if you wanted.

// audio input to pin A0

// output leds
const int lowLedPin = 4;
const int midLedPin = 5;
const int mid2LedPin = 6;
const int hiLedPin = 7;

//clipping indicator variables
boolean clipping = 0;

//data storage variables
byte newData = 0;
byte prevData = 0;
unsigned int time = 0; //keeps time and sends vales to store in timer[] occasionally
int timer[10]; //sstorage for timing of events
int slope[10]; //storage for slope of events
unsigned int totalTimer; //used to calculate period
unsigned int period; //storage for period of wave
byte index = 0; //current storage index
float frequency; //storage for frequency calculations
int maxSlope = 0; //used to calculate max slope as trigger point
int newSlope; //storage for incoming slope data

//variables for decided whether you have a match

byte noMatch = 0; //counts how many non-matches you've received to reset variables if it's been too long
byte slopeTol = 4; //slope tolerance- adjust this if you need
int timerTol = 25;

//variables for amp detection

unsigned int ampTimer = 0;
byte maxAmp = 0;
byte checkMaxAmp;
byte ampThreshold = 20; //raise if you have a very noisy signal

boolean LLP,mLP, m2LP, hLP = false;

void setup(){

Serial.begin(57600); // for debugging output via usb

pinMode(13,OUTPUT); //led indicator pin
pinMode(12,OUTPUT); //output pin
pinMode(lowLedPin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(midLedPin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(mid2LedPin, OUTPUT);
pinMode(hiLedPin, OUTPUT);
cli(); //disable interrupts

//set up continuous sampling of analog pin 0 at 38.5kHz

//clear ADCSRA and ADCSRB registers

ADCSRA = 0;
ADCSRB = 0;

ADMUX |= (1 << REFS0); //set reference voltage
ADMUX |= (1 << ADLAR); //left align the ADC value- so we can read highest 8 bits from ADCH register only

ADCSRA |= (1 << ADPS2) | (1 << ADPS0); //set ADC clock with 32 prescaler- 16mHz/32=500kHz
ADCSRA |= (1 << ADATE); //enabble auto trigger
ADCSRA |= (1 << ADIE); //enable interrupts when measurement complete
ADCSRA |= (1 << ADEN); //enable ADC
ADCSRA |= (1 << ADSC); //start ADC measurements

sei(); //enable interrupts
}

ISR(ADC_vect) { //when new ADC value ready

PORTB &= B11101111; //set pin 12 low
prevData = newData; //store previous value
newData = ADCH; //get value from A0
if (prevData < 127 && newData >=127){ //if increasing and crossing midpoint
newSlope = newData - prevData; //calculate slope
if (abs(newSlope-maxSlope)<slopeTol){ //if slopes are ==

//record new data and reset time

slope[index] = newSlope;
timer[index] = time;
time = 0;
if (index == 0){ //new max slope just reset
PORTB |= B00010000; //set pin 12 high
noMatch = 0;
index++;//increment index
}
else if (abs(timer[0]-timer[index])<timerTol && abs(slope[0]-newSlope)<slopeTol){ //if timer duration and slopes match
//sum timer values
totalTimer = 0;
for (byte i=0;i<index;i++){
totalTimer+=timer;
}
period = totalTimer; //set period

//reset new zero index values to compare with

timer[0] = timer[index];
slope[0] = slope[index];
index = 1;//set index to 1
PORTB |= B00010000; //set pin 12 high
noMatch = 0;
}
else{ //crossing midpoint but not match
index++; //increment index
if (index > 9){
reset();
}
}
}
else if (newSlope>maxSlope){ //if new slope is much larger than max slope
maxSlope = newSlope;
time = 0; //reset clock
noMatch = 0;
index = 0; //reset index
}
else{//slope not steep enough
noMatch++; //increment no match counter
if (noMatch>9){
reset();
}
}
}

if (newData == 0 || newData == 1023){ //if clipping
PORTB |= B00100000; //set pin 13 high- turn on clipping indicator led
clipping = 1; //currently clipping
}

time++; //increment timer at rate of 38.5kHz

ampTimer++; //increment amplitude timer
if (abs(127-ADCH)>maxAmp){
maxAmp = abs(127-ADCH);
}
if (ampTimer==1000){
ampTimer = 0;
checkMaxAmp = maxAmp;
maxAmp = 0;
}

}

void reset(){ //clear out some variables
index = 0; //reset index
noMatch = 0; //reset match counter
maxSlope = 0; //reset slope
}

void checkClipping(){ //manage clipping indicator LED
if (clipping){ //if currently clipping
PORTB &= B11011111; //turn off clipping indicator led
clipping = 0;
}
}

void loop(){

checkClipping();

if (checkMaxAmp>ampThreshold){
frequency = 38462/float(period); //calculate frequency timer rate/period

/*
//print results remove comment characters for debugging
Serial.print(frequency);
Serial.println(" hz");
*/
}

delay(3);

// turn on leds as indicated lLP,mLP, m2LP, hLP
// modify the code below to buzz buzzer instead of light leds, currently set up for 4 tones ranges
// < 400 hz
// 400 hz thru 1250 hz
// 1250 hz thru 2 Khz
// > 2Khz

if (frequency < 400) {
LLP = HIGH;
} else {
LLP = LOW;}

digitalWrite(lowLedPin, LLP);

if (frequency > 400 && frequency < 1250) {
mLP = HIGH;
} else {
mLP = LOW;
}
digitalWrite(midLedPin, mLP);

if (frequency >1250 && frequency < 2000) {
m2LP = HIGH;
} else {
m2LP = LOW;
}
digitalWrite(mid2LedPin, m2LP);

if (frequency > 2000) {
hLP = HIGH;
} else {
hLP = LOW;
}
digitalWrite(hiLedPin, hLP) ;

}

Florida Keys Pirate said:
I've seen a plug in , vibrating accessory just recently. Can't remember where I saw it though. ( no , not at the local adult XXX store ) . Think it plugs in where the headphones would. I'll post if I find it.
Sorry I just saw this thread. At one time I had what I think you are referring to. It was called "Vibraphones". It attached on the rod between the arm cuff and the control box, and plugs into the headphone jack. It contained its own battery and also had a sensitivity adjustment.. I used it when I started losing my hearing due to an autoimmune disease. Since then I have gotten a cochlear implant and can hear the detector just fine.

Nokta's newest detector the fors has a mode where the Handle vibrates when u get a target..also a built in l.e.d flashlight poiting at the coil...Very nice

Bill Babb is the guy i was thinking about that hunted at Treasure Week several years ago. he should be able to answer any questions you have.

You could get a special underwater "Bone Phone" it sits behind the ear on the skull and vibrates when target is found. Divers wear it under their diving hood, as most totally submersible machines have no meters......nge

MY NAME IS CHARLTON. I AM DEAF. VIBRATION WORKS ON WHITES XLT, Dfx, and eureka minelab. I plan to buy a nokta fors core. Do you know any deaf people with metal detector

PHONE/vp. 772 672 3511
Text. 772 979 4131