Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How good is the XP Deus on coin shooting?

u2robert

I know it's an excellent detector for relic hunting how is it for coin shooting and park hunting?

Last edited:
After I learned a little about it and got a hf 9x5 coil I really like it a LOT. I think it has the best seperation of machines i have used. I am finding coins I have left behind with other machines.

Last edited:
The Deus will find coins. The problem with Deus is user will dig more junk. Granted with more and more experience one can lessen the junk they dig but will still dig more vs say Minelab CTX, Etrac, Equinox, Explorer units.
The real key to using Deus in a modern trash site looking for coins is tone nuance. It will take a more keen ear. Just reading the meter won’t cut it. Unlike the other models mentioned above. There are some other things one can do with Deus when hunting modern trash like use unnormalized vdi for freq used, cross checking targets using various freqs. I should point out the use of HF coils on Deus far harder to avoid digging junk vs using the original LF coils and the newer x35 coils. The other thing that can make the Deus more difficult to identify good finds vs junk finds is Deus ID depending on depth of find, in conjunction to soil mineralization and or size of target and detector settings the mighty Deus will as targets deepen all yield a 90s plus IDin meter or no ID at all. There is an icon called a horseshoe that can be used to reflects signal strengths of target and a sliver of the horseshoe will be witnessed many times more on deeper targets. Deus for ID takes into account assuming older Objects buried deeper vs more modern trash. So using deus in fill dirt areas can be very problematic. Xp Deus from an emi standpoint Is above average for handling but falls short of multi freq detectors like fbs/fbs2 line of Minelab. The Deus ergonomics rank superior though when compared to all others. I have used Deus for a number of years. Many folks in USA purchased deus units and quickly sold them. They never caught onto Deus or didn’t put the time in to become more proficient. Some folks even bought units later their 3 units. The reason for this was generally the good performance and finds being reported by those who did start mastering the units. This forum here and others have loads of tips to get a Deus user up to speed quicker.
Cheers

Here’s version 5 Xp Deus Manual.

Here is a link which features a BIG list of videos talking of Xp Deus. Some ORX info exist too.

Last edited:
I am one of the people Squirrel 1 is talking about that has really struggled with the XP Deus as a modern coin hunter in heavy trash. I am still learning how to use it in thick aluminum and bottle cap trash. I have no problems using it for relics and even for gold prospecting in iron infested sites or high mineralization. In thick aluminum trashy parks I am learning to be patient with the Deus andmy developing ability to use it for coin/ jewelry. I will hunt usually in some form of Deus Fast with full tones. If I start to get frustrated with tons of audio overload I will simplify the tones down to 5, 4 or 3 tones with tone breaks set so that nickels and copper pennies and higher will sound as a single pitch. I also just try to be happy with my results.

Avoiding all bottle caps and aluminum trash is next to impossible with just about any VLF detector and the Deus is certainly no exception. I know all of the tricks for the Deus in this regard and use them. I have found that setting up my Deus for shallow jewelry and high conductor coin cherry picking by lowering the sensitivity and only digging targets with good two direction audio is a good way to start in a really trashy area. I can readjust settings later for the deeper stuff.

Jeff

u2robert:
I know it excellent detector for relic hunting how is it for coin shooting and park hunting?
I don't own or use a Deus, however this past year I bought two brand new XP ORX devices, and keep a 5X9½ DD HF coil on my first one and a 9" X35 coil mounted on the second unit. They are part of my Detector Outfit of other excellent-performing units, with some assigned for my urban Coin & Jewelry Hunting and others for Relic Hunting in very dense, iron contaminated sites.

I've been enjoying this great sport for over half a century and prefer to use detectors that are Simple, Functional, yet very good in Performance, and for a lot of the Coin Hunting I do, for a lot of site choices I have found the ORX w/9" X35 DD to provide surprising in-the-field performance. I like the ORX's 3-Tone audio
(when I am listening to the ferrous debris) and with the round 9" DD coil I have had very good performance on mid-depth to deeper located coins.

Like any detector, you just have to learn it well, not go overboard with a lot of unnecessary adjustments and tweaking, in order to master what the detector offers. I like the ORX because it is simple, straight-forward, and works so well. Naturally, frequency choice will be important to respond well to coin targets across the typical conductivity range.

Monte

Last edited:
When your in a modern trash site with pieces of aluminum try running 7 or 11KHZ keep the reactivity at 1 or 2, GO SLOW and listen to the tones. Aluminum to me gives a hollow sound and if you wiggle the coil back, as you get close to the edge of the coil the numbers change drastically. Now do the same thing on a coin and you will see what I mean.
It works for me.

One factor which has not been addressed is the role of target masking in modern trash. E.G. a bottle cap will totally mask a smaller coin if close enough. Marked off a 10x10 plot in an old park one day where trash is terrible but old coins are very shallow. Dug 50 caps and tabs then went back and dug 1905 V nickel. Would I do this every time? Nope life too short but shows whats still there. Squrell's suggestions right on. I only use the x35 in trash now and some days i dig more coins than trash with few caps. You might google Scott Clarks Detecting letter. He's mostly a relic guy but he suggests using only one tone setting and learning it which really helps in trash. I have a CTX. The FBS machines are the only one which really ID better but keep in mind most coins are found at 8" or less and the Deus easily ID well at this depth. The FBS machines also have a slow recover speed which makes hunting in heavy trash problematic. One contributor mentioned swinging the coil both ways and bypassing the object if not a good tone both ways. This has been debunked. Lay a nail and a dime beside each other and swing both ways. At least with the Deus you will easily pick up the dime one way. I understand one of the Nocta machines is the only one that will pick up both ways. Hope this helps.

As a beach hunter, for me personally, I find the HF Coils work the best. They’re great at sniffing out coins and I do depend on the tones but more importantly I really depend on the x/y screen to tell me what’s under the sand.

It is just a learning curve when using the deus, compared to using something else.I am different than jeff in pa.I crank reactivity to 3 or 4, I want to tighten the ground sector that I am hunting.A lower reactivity opens it up further.

That's one of the great things about the Deus, you control what you want it to do. I have been in sites where there was so much modern that I lowered the sensitivity a lot and just picked out the 93 and 94's that were just under the surface. All so I could just get a quick fix of the Deus. LOL. Of course then I crank up the reactivity.

Small video showing airtest distance ID capability of Deus detector. As soil mineralization rises Deus distance for correct ID lessens for buried targets.
I sure as heck get better results than he did....up to 10" usually, and in the ground, not in air.

I love it ask a coin shooter in modern day trash. I use Deus Fast with 4khz. It's a fun machine and you can't beat the weight and balance.

I have never got close to 10” for accurate ID on any sized coin using Deus using both 9” and 11” coils. 10” ID is Minelab fbs/fbs2 territory, Deus can’t do. User will likely see higher 90s for ID or no ID at all. And on a 10” dime, no way in the world with Deus. I have zero experience with the biggest Deus coil.

I have had the same experience as squirrel1 as far as Deus depth on in the ground targets. In the high mineralization in my area, the Deus with 11” or 9” coils no matter what kind of coil (HF, LF or X35), frequency or program I use, is lucky to correctly ID a 6” clad dime or clad quarter. It will definitely hit 8 to 10” coin targets sometimes, but with no numerical target ID or just 99. I really have no idea what is under the coil in that case. I’m not complaining, just stating my experience after more than 200 hours and lots of studying on the Deus. It is a great relic detector and is also excellent for gold prospecting. Jury is still out on whether I can master the Deus in my dirt, in thick modern aluminum trash. Some of my buddies have (although they mostly cherry pick) so I am keeping my hopes up!

Jeff

I had 3 coils the 9" LF and the 9"HF and the 5x9 HF the LF was by far in my area a better coin coil I think the x35 would be a killer coil for coins!

"That's one of the great things about the Deus, you control what you want it to do. I have been in sites where there was so much modern that I lowered the sensitivity a lot and just picked out the 93 and 94's that were just under the surface. All so I could just get a quick fix of the Deus. LOL. Of course then I crank up the reactivity."

The splendid thing that happens for me is the silencer setting readjust to a higher setting when I bump the reactivity up.I normally set it at -1 silencer or 0 ,but park hunting is so chatty so it's comforting for me to go to a silencer setting of 2, which it automatically does for you. I am sure I have much more to learn in settings and how they effect things negatively, kind of like I don't know what I'm missing but I find enough to keep me entertained. LOL.