Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How good is the XP Deus on coin shooting?

Folks considering Deus or new to Deus here’s some info I put together. Quite a lot actually.

I know it excellent detector for relic hunting how is it for coin shooting and park hunting?
I don't know what the others are complaining about the deus being not a good coin hunter, have used many detectors and it beats them all, maybe they just haven't used it enough to be comfortable with it. I have the 11" LF coil and the 5x9 HF coil and they both have their good places to work. The pin point is the best i have ever seen if you back up the coil to where the target is at the tip of the coil i can hit a coin with a probe almost every time. One of the multi frequency detectors that i have works better on the beach but is terrible in parks for coin hunting i would have to dig up a huge hole with it. So here we go again what works good for you is the detector you should be hunting with.

Hi Digger45,

In moderate to high mineralized dirt the XP Deuses (plural since I have owned two) have not been able to accurately detect any coin sized target past 5 to 6 inches depth. I either get 99 or no target ID. So in my area, I pick the Deus for surface to 5” work in aluminum trash filled parks. It does very well for that scenario. It is outstanding for relic detecting or gold prospecting where I am likely to dig everything. If I am coin and jewelry detecting for the older, deeper stuff, I pick a different detector that can accurately identify targets down to 10 inches or more in moderate to high mineralization.

Jeff

I don't know what the others are complaining about the deus being not a good coin hunter, have used many detectors and it beats them all, maybe they just haven't used it enough to be comfortable with it.
I agree with that 100%. VDI isn't everything. The eyeball beats everything in identifying targets :) Here is one of Gary Blackwell's Skill School Video's that actually did help me in digging deep targets. The day after I saw this video I dug a 10 inch deep Barber dime so I know it can be done.

I know it excellent detector for relic hunting how is it for coin shooting and park hunting?
Do not let anyone tell you that the Deus is not a great detector for modern clad in trash. Yes, I found a small but newer park that evidently has not been detected, but the Deus wore me out by making me dig all these coins. Not every park I visit gives these results, but every park I hunt is filled with trash and the Deus will pick the coins out of the trash.

Attachments

• 01122020 (Small).jpg
    01122020 (Small).jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 220
  • 02092020 (Small).jpg
    02092020 (Small).jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 198
  • 10062019 (Small).jpg
    10062019 (Small).jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 191
  • 10202019 (Small).png
    10202019 (Small).png
    391.5 KB · Views: 217
  • 11032019 (Small).jpg
    11032019 (Small).jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 206
James/Texas wrote:
Do not let anyone tell you that the Deus is not a great detector for modern clad in trash. Yes, I found a small but newer park that evidently has not been detected, but the Deus wore me out by making me dig all these coins. Not every park I visit gives these results, but every park I hunt is filled with trash and the Deus will pick the coins out of the trash

Relax people. The Deus is truly a great detector. I am just giving the original poster u2robert the truth from my experience on some of my sites where the ground mineralization bar on my Deus is over half to 3/4 filled all of the time. On other sites with mild mineralization, my experience is just like yours!

Nobody during this topic, including me, has said that the XP Deus is not good at coin shooting in heavy modern trash. I did say that if you add in high soil mineralization to heavy modern aluminum trashy coin hunting sites that the Deus, just like every other single frequency detector, whether entry level or expert level, will lose some depth, target ID stability and unmasking capabilities. Highly mineralized ground will mask targets. The fewer the targets the easier it is to detect. A carpet of targets and high ground mineralization is a bad combination for any single frequency VLF. Watch Gary's video highlighted earlier. He goes into this subject in detail near the end of the video. Going to lower frequencies and bigger coils does not help. Using smaller coils and much higher frequencies, 17kHz and up, is the only way to penetrate the mineralized soil. I have used some other "great" single frequency VLF detectors where I live that did much worse than the Deus and lost target ID stability and target separation at 3"!

Jeff

Last edited:
I'd say the Deus is a very good coin detector - I've dug thousands of coins with mine.
How it rates compared to other machines is not a big issue to me.
It's a fantastic - wireless - ultra light weight - compact - very comfortable - swing all day machine !

The Deus is mainly a dig by sound machine but personally, I've found that the target ID numbers are pretty darn reliable.

Good Hunting !

Last edited:
Do not let anyone tell you that the Deus is not a great detector for modern clad in trash. Yes, I found a small but newer park that evidently has not been detected, but the Deus wore me out by making me dig all these coins. Not every park I visit gives these results, but every park I hunt is filled with trash and the Deus will pick the coins out of the trash.
I love the Deus for the farm fields and the woods but I have a tough time with it in some of the trashy parks. The bottle caps and pull tabs sound similar to coins to me. I will admit I need some more practice with this machine, but I'm curious if you are able to get around the issue of digging so many bottle caps and pull tabs?

I agree with that 100%. VDI isn't everything. The eyeball beats everything in identifying targets :) Here is one of Gary Blackwell's Skill School Video's that actually did help me in digging deep targets. The day after I saw this video I dug a 10 inch deep Barber dime so I know it can be done.

I watched it. Great video, thanks for the heads up.

I love the Deus for the farm fields and the woods but I have a tough time with it in some of the trashy parks. The bottle caps and pull tabs sound similar to coins to me. I will admit I need some more practice with this machine, but I'm curious if you are able to get around the issue of digging so many bottle caps and pull tabs?

For me anyway, if I set my silencer at zero or 1 instead of -1 and have iron volume on, I can get a little more iron grunt/signal break-up on the edges of the coil just pulling away from bottle caps. Also, if you can see the ground mineralization bar, (I definitely have bad eyesight for little things) mine will almost fill up over a bottle cap as I swing over it repeatedly. Just swinging over the dirt here will do the same thing unfortunately. Quarters and big silver will not cause the mineralization bar to fill up nearly as much usually. Maybe you could experiment with some of your typical bottle caps versus quarters and see if that happens for you.

Other than listening for multiple beeps on pull-tabs...............and listening for a little more spread out tone, that is about all I can offer. Surface to 5" nickel tones seem to have a little more definition on the edges of the tone and a little more space between them during sweeps. So, to simplify, to me nickels sound harder and more defined. Maybe it is just my imagination.

Jeff

For me anyway, if I set my silencer at zero or 1 instead of -1 and have iron volume on, I can get a little more iron grunt/signal break-up on the edges of the coil just pulling away from bottle caps. Also, if you can see the ground mineralization bar, (I definitely have bad eyesight for little things) mine will almost fill up over a bottle cap as I swing over it repeatedly. Just swinging over the dirt here will do the same thing unfortunately. Quarters and big silver will not cause the mineralization bar to fill up nearly as much usually. Maybe you could experiment with some of your typical bottle caps versus quarters and see if that happens for you.

Other than listening for multiple beeps on pull-tabs...............and listening for a little more spread out tone, that is about all I can offer. Surface to 5" nickel tones seem to have a little more definition on the edges of the tone and a little more space between them during sweeps. So, to simplify, to me nickels sound harder and more defined. Maybe it is just my imagination.

Jeff
Thanks for the tip jmaclen. I'll give it a try.