Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How i hunt with a 6 inch coil

sube

Not much happening here l'm still hunting but short hunts in places i have hunted for 50 plus years . Still finding wheats and silver dimes . Gotta say not getting any easier but coins are still there and will stay there till the super detector comes out Don't hold your breath it will be a while.
Thank God i don't have to use a big coil where i hunt i only use one to locate high thrash areas the more thrash the more coins i thank the pigs that lived before me if they weren't pigs the coins would be gone.

White whale hunting is done were i hunt not many coins all by themselves there may be coins at the 10 plus depth but your looking on the outside area where there were fewer people = less coins to start.
The trash filled spots are where the people were = coins pull-tabs are the worst they mask the best most are shallower than the coins we seek dig them or move to another trash pit with fewer they are a great powerfull clean signal and in my ground they come out like the day they were dropped great at masking everything below and to the side of the coil that are deeper than the tab.

So you can see why i use the 6 a big coil has no place here a fruitless endeavor to say the least .
What were looking for is small returns from coin signals masked by some junk try this coin facing you go across the coil small return maybe 6 inches max try a big coil 6 inches max in theory the big coil should be deeper but is not why not as sensitive to small returns.

Falsing and the 6 it falses more because it has more nail tips pointed at it the big coil always has another target under it so it can't false but will false if there is no other target under it.

Hunting with the 6 first pinpoint your high tone i mean exact where it is (very important) is it where the high tone was or not if not move. This is a throw en false not under coil well read 40 to 41 on screen then there's the double false a nail under the coil when deep hard to here both beeps screen well say 47 to 50 leave.
Then there's the false that sounds good all the way around (nail rusted to a small wire with a round mass of iron oxide on one or both ends)
This has to be treated different stick your trowel or shovel in the ground 4 to 6 inches wiggle it now check signal did it change or stay the same most times it well tell you it's iron . If not dig a 8 inch plug 6 inches deep place coil in hole did it change or is it a good signal if it still sounds good put your digger in hole 4 inches deep and wiggle again if good dig.
You all know that digging a 10 inch nail sounds good and when you get it close to the coil 4 inches out of hole it grunts now why it was fused with the soil now it's not.
Best time to hunt when the soil is (DRY) why if wet that iron well be bigger (HALO) silver in my soil does not halo they come out shiny not corroded pennys corrode some (HALO) but not like iron .

Settings ferrous coin 32 fe line open screen adjust tones to your liking but keep 47 to 50 low tone grunt 75hz otherwise you well hear all the double falsing from nails your directly over making you have to look at the screen all the time. I always use pitch hold for sound 50 tone is a no no here .Sensitivity max or as high as you can go your looking for a hole in that junk pile if you use less your not going to get the deep ones what you want. sube

This is the kind of post that takes YEARS of hunting to make. Going over target after target after target…and paying CLOSE ATTENTION to what is going on is not always easy. Most people just want to go dig something good and go home…me too! But when the sites within a reasonable driving distance get really void of coins, you HAVE to become a “better hunter” to stay in the game. It gets to the point where the “easy” or “obvious” signals are all but gone, and it seems impossible to make any more coins appear from these places. In other words, hunting begins to SUCK.
The advice above can help people do better, especially:
1) Nails usually false at 12-40/12-41. Absolutely true in my sites with my settings.
2) Dry soil can HELP! Digging is harder and depth might not be optimized….but it cuts down on iron interference!
3) BEFORE YOU DIG a “sketchy signal”….sink your shovel into the ground and just heave the plug a little bit without actually taking any soil out…just move the soil. This is the same idea as the “old timers” stomping on the ground to break the iron halo….but this hurts body parts, so don’t do that.
IMO these 3 things are the highlights of the above post. Being able to determine to a high degree of certainty if the target is a coin or not let’s you work more quickly and be more productive.
Great post Sube, thanks for taking the time to actually type it out and help some people!

I have a site that the 6" coil is needed. I will review this before going to the location.

Great advise.
Thanks

Not much happening here l'm still hunting but short hunts in places i have hunted for 50 plus years . Still finding wheats and silver dimes . Gotta say not getting any easier but coins are still there and will stay there till the super detector comes out Don't hold your breath it will be a while.
Thank God i don't have to use a big coil where i hunt i only use one to locate high thrash areas the more thrash the more coins i thank the pigs that lived before me if they weren't pigs the coins would be gone.

White whale hunting is done were i hunt not many coins all by themselves there may be coins at the 10 plus depth but your looking on the outside area where there were fewer people = less coins to start.
The trash filled spots are where the people were = coins pull-tabs are the worst they mask the best most are shallower than the coins we seek dig them or move to another trash pit with fewer they are a great powerfull clean signal and in my ground they come out like the day they were dropped great at masking everything below and to the side of the coil that are deeper than the tab.

So you can see why i use the 6 a big coil has no place here a fruitless endeavor to say the least .
What were looking for is small returns from coin signals masked by some junk try this coin facing you go across the coil small return maybe 6 inches max try a big coil 6 inches max in theory the big coil should be deeper but is not why not as sensitive to small returns.

Falsing and the 6 it falses more because it has more nail tips pointed at it the big coil always has another target under it so it can't false but will false if there is no other target under it.

Hunting with the 6 first pinpoint your high tone i mean exact where it is (very important) is it where the high tone was or not if not move. This is a throw en false not under coil well read 40 to 41 on screen then there's the double false a nail under the coil when deep hard to here both beeps screen well say 47 to 50 leave.
Then there's the false that sounds good all the way around (nail rusted to a small wire with a round mass of iron oxide on one or both ends)
This has to be treated different stick your trowel or shovel in the ground 4 to 6 inches wiggle it now check signal did it change or stay the same most times it well tell you it's iron . If not dig a 8 inch plug 6 inches deep place coil in hole did it change or is it a good signal if it still sounds good put your digger in hole 4 inches deep and wiggle again if good dig.
You all know that digging a 10 inch nail sounds good and when you get it close to the coil 4 inches out of hole it grunts now why it was fused with the soil now it's not.
Best time to hunt when the soil is (DRY) why if wet that iron well be bigger (HALO) silver in my soil does not halo they come out shiny not corroded pennys corrode some (HALO) but not like iron .

Settings ferrous coin 32 fe line open screen adjust tones to your liking but keep 47 to 50 low tone grunt 75hz otherwise you well hear all the double falsing from nails your directly over making you have to look at the screen all the time. I always use pitch hold for sound 50 tone is a no no here .Sensitivity max or as high as you can go your looking for a hole in that junk pile if you use less your not going to get the deep ones what you want. sube
Let me ask you a question. I too hunt very trashy parks with my 800. I am seriously considering buying myself a CTX3030.
I have recently learned that using 4k on the nox will make pop tops, pull tabs invisible. You will get the solid coin reading. Switch to multi you will get the solid pop top or pull tab reading. In 4k mode, the pull top can be laying right on top of the coin and the coin will ring up solid.

On the CTX3030 is there any way to unmask coins that are under or very close to pop tops? One reason I am seriously considering the CTX3030 is the fact that it can ID targets better than the 800. My main hunting activities are Civil War relic hunting (in trashy metro Atlanta) and park hunting for silver coins among the modern trash.

thanks for any help

Great tips for those who hunt in dense ferrous and non ferrous debris. Thanks !

@pull-- anybody can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong: I cannot separate the two targets. I have found that like a nickel/pulltab near a conductive coin, the signal gets pulled downward-- so a silver dime comes across as a penny.

@pull-- anybody can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong: I cannot separate the two targets. I have found that like a nickel/pulltab near a conductive coin, the signal gets pulled downward-- so a silver dime comes across as a penny.
I have also always found this to be the case…when two or more NON-ferrous items are within the coils field, the signal will be a “composite” ID…a clean clad dime signal at 26 would become perhaps a 22 with a nickel with it. A lot depends on how things are sitting and sweep angle, etc. but I’ve always seen a ”down average”. Even with my single freq Whites IDX.

?????????? ok.

Pulltabfelix couple of crappy videos i made well be making better ones in the future you tube (separation 0011) (ctx 12 line) The best way to separate a complex signal is with pinpoint locate all targets under the coil and and scan each one to see what it is. Can't do this by sweeping same for the nox . jkline this is true it well be pulled down may read 12.35 to 12.40 but the nox well only tell you there's a pull-tab there in muti i well dig that 35 or 40 thinking indian or penny but not a 15 on the nox .
The ctx with its bigger scale well read pull-tabs at 12.13 to 12.32 notice none are in the indian zone which is 12.34 to 12.37 but most indians read 12.35 on the ctx no where near a pull-tab . The nox with it's smaller scale will read 13 to 19 same tabs i have been at fairgrounds where half the tabs come in at 19 i have found indians at 17 to 20 with the nox hard to find indians that are reading the same as pull-tabs .
When the two targets are to close to separate you get the blended target tab dime 12.35 ctx the nox 15 what id do you want i well take the ctx everytime

Look for a used ctx the new model should be out in a year or two maybe don't know but won't hurt your wallet as bad but if you hunt high thrash iron and conductive thrash there's not a better choice if there is let me know hey i'm still learning the ctx and i had one from the start 2012 .sube

Sube, still trying to figure out whats wrong with my 3030. Am working directly with ML right now. May have to do a new one. Used one's not that competitive if you can get a good deal on a new one. One thing I did find out from someone in the know is there is NO new 3030 coming out. Understand that whats coming out is a scaled up version of the Vanquish. Unless there is a scaled down FBS machine coming, not interested. The EQ is good and has its place but heavy modern trash aint one of them.

Ok, I don't have the CTX3030 yet, and have studied the manual pretty good. It appears that recovery fast when active is supposed to help separate those blended signals. Those with actual CTX 3030 experience may clarify if that is true or not.

Thanks John

Copied from the CTX3030 manual​

Recovery Fast​

When Recovery Fast is active, the detector will react faster to target signals, but the discrimination and Target ID may be slightly less accurate.
Use this setting in areas littered with objects, where a desired target could be hiding next to unwanted objects.
If there are two targets very close together that cause a single detection, the signal processing that is usually employed when Recovery Fast is off may cause a blending of the Target IDs, giving a Target ID somewhere between the two actual IDs (Figure 29).

Figure 29 – Blending of Target IDs

The two Target IDs may still be slightly less accurate than ideal, however when Recovery Fast is off, the ID will be more variable and may not resemble either of the targets.

In the example shown (Figure 29), using Recovery Fast will provide two distinct target IDs in each direction, whereas when Recovery Fast is off the ID will be more variable and may not resemble either of the targets.

1635026034963.png

Pulltabfelix couple of crappy videos i made well be making better ones in the future you tube (separation 0011) (ctx 12 line) The best way to separate a complex signal is with pinpoint locate all targets under the coil and and scan each one to see what it is. Can't do this by sweeping same for the nox . jkline this is true it well be pulled down may read 12.35 to 12.40 but the nox well only tell you there's a pull-tab there in muti i well dig that 35 or 40 thinking indian or penny but not a 15 on the nox .
The ctx with its bigger scale well read pull-tabs at 12.13 to 12.32 notice none are in the indian zone which is 12.34 to 12.37 but most indians read 12.35 on the ctx no where near a pull-tab . The nox with it's smaller scale will read 13 to 19 same tabs i have been at fairgrounds where half the tabs come in at 19 i have found indians at 17 to 20 with the nox hard to find indians that are reading the same as pull-tabs .
When the two targets are to close to separate you get the blended target tab dime 12.35 ctx the nox 15 what id do you want i well take the ctx everytime
I am counting on the CTX 3030 to be better and separation than the Nox. It seems that most agree on that. There are some nox user that state they can tell by the audio a slight difference. My ears or concentration don't seem to be that good anymore. As a 3 year user of my 800 I am well aware of the strengths and weaknesses of the 800. depth indicator and some target ID's are a weakness. I find that hunting in 4khz in a very trashy park will pick coins out among the pull tabs and pop tops almost every time. At 4khz the 800 will ring up the coin and not the pop top and will not average or blend the signals. Not sure how that works, but it does. Do your own test between multi and 4khz on coins with pop tops and pull tabs.

I keep the 6" on the EQ & the 9" on the Deus.
I just wish Minelab would make a 8-9" coil for the EQ 800

I agree. but I did buy the Coiltek 10 x 5" for my 800 and love it. It stays on the 800 almost all the time.

It is a mystery to me why Minelab hasn't already made an 8" coil for it, or allowed somebody like Detech to make one. Peeps would buy it just because it was an 8-inch-er, even if it only performed no better than the 6" coil. The 6" coil doesn't get enough credit, but people still rate the six against the other 6 inch coils from other machines. An 8 inch coil for the Equinox would sell, by the mention of 8 inch dimension alone!

I bet that Detech could deliver an 8x6 coil for the Equinox that would smoke the Nox coil market...probably already has but can't legally sell it.