Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How important is sweep speed

Davy crockett

Hello again folks, my question is how important is sweep speed.

Can you go to slow, can you go to fast. Do different modes have different speeds

Thanks everyone, you guys are great

Generally the less targets you have in the ground the quicker you can sweep....dense nails or trash requires a slowdown of sorts. I've found that a fairly brisk sweep speed can bring out deeper targets, in cleaner ground. In average dirt you can expect to find a silver dime at 9" max with the stock coil. There could be some wacky exceptions, such as the beach, where it seems depth is way better. But in turf, 7-8" on a silver dime is a regular occurrence around here.
As a side note, Auto +3 works really well, it doesn't appear to de-tune the sensitivity as much when in Auto as my Explorer does. It really is environmentally dependent though...
Good luck!

Yep, what IDX said.

Best depth comes from a fast swing, but you can still find targets at good depth with an extremely slow swing. Always swing as fast as your ground and trash levels allow to still discriminate individual targets.

Sweet speed affects filering/processing. Sweep speed can make all the difference in trash minerals or open ground. The slower you go the less filtering takes place. ..which is good in trash for recovery speed.

If you run open screen I don't think sweep speed is critical your going to hear it all it's if your brain can keep up which determine your sweep speed . Now if you start adding disc you will have to slow down the more disc the slower you will have to go the machine well recover from a null if your sweep speed is not to fast but as you add more disc you well have to sweep slower to let the machine recover from one target to the next . sube

I have a hard time making myself do it, but I am amazed how little I hear of people varying settings and/or sweep speed on targets. Like most people (I would guess) the thought "Hot dog I finally hit something" is followed by blank brain and rapid recovery response resulting in another bottle cap or penny in hand. I guess I am advocating experimenting to see how it works.

pasttom said:
I have a hard time making myself do it, but I am amazed how little I hear of people varying settings and/or sweep speed on targets. Like most people (I would guess) the thought "Hot dog I finally hit something" is followed by blank brain and rapid recovery response resulting in another bottle cap or penny in hand. I guess I am advocating experimenting to see how it works.

I could NOT agree more Tom, it's hard sometimes to slow down and NOT dig the target right away...rather, play with it, then see what and where...it may help to recover others. I LOVE my Explorer when it finds something in the middle of a lot of other trash, because getting the swing speed JUST RIGHT makes the machine report ONLY the good target. Sweep speed and length is critical here, but it pops right out like it's the only thing around. Pure MAGIC it seems...

To me the most critical thing on the swing is not so much the swing speed but making sure it is level and not a pendulum swing that occurs naturally when stopping the swing and reversing it at the end of the swing when swinging too fast. If you are not rotating your body on the swing, you are probably pendulum swinging. And that means you are only getting maximum depth for only part of your swing.

PryorCreekJoe said:
To me the most critical thing on the swing is not so much the swing speed but making sure it is level and not a pendulum swing that occurs naturally when stopping the swing and reversing it at the end of the swing when swinging too fast. If you are not rotating your body on the swing, you are probably pendulum swinging. And that means you are only getting maximum depth for only part of your swing.

Another point well taken Joe...if a guy has a 5' swing and lifts at the ends, the effective depth is chopped way short for all but the center 2 or 3'! Imagine the deeper targets that are missed every day because of this. I find it a bit more difficult to keep a level swing all the way across when I wear my harness, that is one of the drawbacks of it. But in any case, for proper coverage and maximum target finding potential, a full, level sweep is key. Great add on...

Lets face it...... no one is swinging a CTX like a tesoro...... so yes coil control is key especially after a few hours of hunting.

Davy crockett said:
Thank you folks, when you do a swing do you like to lightly touch the ground or grass or try to be slightly above it,

Your coil should be brushing the ground all the time. Every inch you give up above the ground you give up below.

sube said:
If you run open screen I don't think sweep speed is critical your going to hear it all it's if your brain can keep up which determine your sweep speed . Now if you start adding disc you will have to slow down the more disc the slower you will have to go the machine well recover from a null if your sweep speed is not to fast but as you add more disc you well have to sweep slower to let the machine recover from one target to the next . sube

Completely Agree Sube

Thanks for the info guys, I was watching someone hunt a few weeks ago and he was swinging real fast and a few inches above ground. I'm thinking he was just trying to find coins near the surface. He does find a lot of clad coins and seems pretty successful in finding other things also. And he covers a lot of ground. He's a very good hunter indeed. I've never tried hunting yet just for coins, I've been digging a lot but also learning a lot about junk. I did find a nice money clip that I found because I did dig junk a lot.

This is most interesting stuff.