Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How is your headphone battery life these days?

nw1886

Hey all. Been using some new 2700ma metal nickel hydride batteries in my headphones. I'm not noticing any kind of increased battery life over standard alkalines? (Getting maybe 2.5 to 3 hrs. of juice.)
It really isn't a big deal but....What are you all getting? Thanks, Scott

I haven't put the clock on the headphone batteries but I get a LOT more than than three hours of use..............seems more like 20 hours or more with alkalines.

You should get much more than 3 hours. I have put used ones from the detector, in my headphones, just to run them down completely and have gotten more than three hours.

He is using rechargeable batteries. I've used them in mine but measured how long they last. I do do know that if I carried an extra 2 that they lasted on my longest hunt. Mine were 2500's. I used a charger that charged 4 of them, so when I came home all 4 when on the charger. They still work great.[attachment 161493 Reading.gif]..Rob

WOW! I'm going to put a fresh charge on and actually time them accurately but that time is not too far off the mark. Plus, I'm getting a lot of audio hang once they get low. (May just have a bad set.) Noticed too that the rev. # says 1.1 for the headphones and it's 1.3 on the machine. I'll call. Thanks

That the normal Rev.#'s Scott unless you have the V3i, then the headphones will be 1.3.

As simple as I can explain;- ALL times, voltages, parameters are Approximates, due to ALL the variables involved, settings condition of batteries ,component values , chargers etc....

Head phones need approx 2 . 6 to 3 . 2 volts to operate properly , which is what AA alkaline batteries supply

1.5 volt alkaline batteries - 3 volts at at 2500ma. runs for 20 hours then voltage starts to drop off -voltage reduces.

Nicd,NiMh, 1.2 volts = 2 . 4 volts. at 2500 ma. ONLY 2.4 volts total , slightly higher voltage , 2.8 ,volts when newly charged . runs headphones for 3 to ?? hours due to voltage dropping and maintain 2.4 volts for 20 hours- not enough to run the headphones which need 2 . 6 to 3 . 2 volts to operate properly.

I can write pages on this subject.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Andy I can tell you I have run the NIMH batteries in the WHP with no trouble for months. The WHP have never been a problem for me until the voltage drops to 2.0 volts. I don't know where you got the 2.6 volts. Right now my WHP are running perfectly as usual and read 2.32v. Whites claims they will work fine until 2.0 v. Please let me know where the 2.6 to 3.2 v requirement is written. I've had them running fine and shut off with no indication of poor performance, checked the voltage and get 1.96 v.

It may be a little more work to use NIMH, charging etc., but they work fine.[attachment 161508 Reading.gif]... By the way, the 2500 energizers are 4 years old. Rob

They usually need about 5 full cycles before they start holding a decent charge.
HH
Mike

I was using alkaline batteries in the WHP. They were running fine, they popped once in the right ear and shut off. I turned them back on and they were reading 1.59 v. They started a 2.32 v and I had been hunting for 4 hours. I'll have to put a set of rechargables in and see how long they last next time.[attachment 161524 Reading.gif]..Rob

I wasted allot of time trying to analyze defective head phones.

My headphones do NOT work with nicads or Nimh. Tried the NiMh I use to power my V for 20 hours and they don't work either in the headphones.

Defective Headphones.

Defective V3 when I purchased it .

Whats Next?

teckpro said:
I wasted allot of time trying to analyze defective head phones.

My headphones do NOT work with nicads or Nimh. Tried the NiMh I use to power my V for 20 hours and they don't work either in the headphones.

Defective Headphones.

Defective V3 when I purchased it .

Whats Next?

That's too bad you've had to deal with that. I've had a first run "Vision", checked out a lot of machines for newbies, and only found a bad coil in one instance. (Any "birthing pains" seem to be over and smooth sailing now.) Now that I'm a little deeper into using this machine, going back into places that I had a tougher time with (at first).... completely different world!

How is the headphones doing, still only 2-4 hours on them with the 2700ma. cells?

Mine still power down in 2-3 hours with plenty of capacity left on the cells.

I'm thinking that it is due to either a bad set or having to cycle the charging process a few more times.
The batteries are top rated, charger of a different brand, and the initial 2 charges only did reach 70% capacity. (Wait and see.) Still so dang busy with work and mostly only able to detect in 45 min. to 1 hr. stints on the way home.

One thing....my job is in the process of changing into something that should give me more time! ('bout time!!!!!)

Oh yeah, Thanks Larry! Don't have to give a needless call to Todd. (Busy "git 'er done" guy!)

If the headphones work OK with the alkaline batteries, I think you can rule out defective headphones. Some low voltage electronics do not work well with rechargable batteries and the headphones might be one of them. Maybe a comment from White's on this?

Went a little more forward in possibly determining the cause. For my headphones, I've been using Sony 2700ma's. Popped a recently charged set in and.....quick headphone shut off! Swapped to a pair of Powerex 2700ma's.....showed no drain at end of an hour hunt. Those Sony's loose their charge.

Not 100% yet till I test out with the Powerex for a bit. (These batteries aren't mainstream but there ratings and reviews are excellent and may be proving to be accurate.) Still need to check my other "charged" Sony's. If they aren't holding....need to find that dang receipt!

It would be good to hear from Whites on rechargeable use though. Seems opinions here vary.

There isn't much to say. Fact, they work. Fact they don't last as long. It's pretty simple. Fact headphones ( Whites says) shutoff at 2Volts. Mine usually go out many times around 1.59v.

There just isn't as much room between 2.4 or so volts and 2v. For most guys they would last for their shorter hunts. Guys that hunt 8+ hours in one day need to have a spare set or need to run alkalines. I have used them since I got my V but I use alkaline also. It's just too much work for some guys and it is extra work. Remember, NIMH loss charge while they sit. For maximum time in the WHP and your detector have them on the charger before you go hunting. Charge your pack, wait 2 days and check the pack voltage. It will be less them 11V. If you use them in your WHP you can't let them sit before hunting. Guys find it easier to get a 48 pack of AA's at Costco_Or like someone I know, have a wife who finds them for next to nothing. :lmfao:........[attachment 161668 Reading.gif]....Rob

Rechargeables loosing there charge is way bad!!! I'll run them first and go to the pack second then. (For the detectors at least.) Not even going to bother trying to go green with the headphones then. Back to Home Depot or Costco batteries! Why is it that half the time I attempt to go green....I go red instead. Yeesh.

I have to send her back out battery hunting too....getting short. (Secret) She watches for sidewalk sales, primarily Dollar General stores. Last year they were dumping perfectly good name brand alkalines for 50 cents per 8 pack. Nancy brought them home by the sackfuls. My guess was Christmas overstock :shrug: