Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How many have the same problem?

Salivating over this new machine, knowing that it is the absolute best out there, knowing that you WILL find more old coins at your hunted out spots, but just can't justify spending what amounts to a good used car or boat on a metal detector? With taxes, waterproof head phones and large coil option it is well over $3k!
I have an Expl 2, Excalibur and XT505. If I sell them all I am only about 1/2 way there.
For those of you who had the same problem but ended up buying one anyway, how did you justify it for yourself (and the wife)?
I tell myself I will find enough to pay it back. I tell myself that cars and boats only continue to cost more money every time you use them, while the detector only needs a charge on the batteries, but I still can't do it!
The wife says I should go and buy it, and with Father's day coming, it would be a great gift, but MAN! I just can't do it!
I know eventually I will break down and buy one, but for now will have to watch the forum and wish I had one.
I didn't detect at all last year from January till Christmas. It was only between Christmas and New Years that I was able to get out. And to have such a machine sitting not being used is a crime. Work has been crazy busy this year too and I have only had one weekend off in the last 6 so I don't know how much I will get to use it.
Someone talk me into buying one!
HH
MM

I guess there are many other hobbies out there that cost much more. I'm kind of going through the same thing as you. But I dont gamble, dont drink, dont have expensive toys like boats, quads etc..........so I guess the ctx is fair game. Besides, sure it may take awhile for the return on your investment but your going to have a ball along the way. Plus you never know......pay day can be from day one. A little more money and I'll have one. YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!!!!!! You cant take your money to the grave. So enjoy your life and do the things you want to do. BUT.....yes theres a but.......you may have some monetary obligations for the wife lol. She may have a list of wants just waiting for ya. LOL My trouble is the time I spend detecting. My Etrac is great for what little I get out but why not have the best machine for the little time you have to maximize your finds. At least thats what Im trying to tell myself. HH and I hope to see some posts from you soon of all the great things you found with your new CTX. Joe

@Minelab Marcus. Your solution is real easy. You work hard to have what you want. Stress will kill ya eventually and for me metal detecting is a great way to have fun outdoors. I don't know about you but I have never seen any other machine come close to separating two targets? The posts have only begun on people finding targets laying under bolts, rusty nails, next to pop tabs etc. If it is only the beginning of people having a blast with their 3030, I think Minelab has hit one out of the park with it. BTW, mine will be here tomorrow!

Man, if your better half says "go for it", you've got 3/4 the battle won!! :)----Even getting past that tough, tough obstacle"--the wife's "consent":tongue: --I'd have to convince myself on the purchase (like I guess you are doing), IF I was just going to use it VERY little.----I think most of us guys that are getting one plan on wearing the thing out.----Not a whole lot of help in your decision making am I? ;)-----Bottom line: in the end, the decision (and the bucks in your wallet) is yours.---You just have to figure out if you feel the CTX will justify the outlay for the use (and enjoyment) you will get out of it.-------Del

You know if everyone gets a CTX all those parks that you thought were hunted out a long
time ago but are brining back to life with the CTX will really be hunted out and then what
will we all do with our CTX's? LOL Gary

My justification was that I will be 52 in July, my back is getting really bad and I don't know how much longer I will be able to enjoy the hobby that I have had on and off since 1973. I too only get out once in a while but hope this will renew my interest.

It helps that I have accumulated enough detectors over the years to sell 5 of them and pay for the 3030 give or take a few dollars and I have so many coils, headphones, pinpointers bags etc that a few of them thrown in and I am covered.

If you buy thru the Internet, as long as the seller is in a different state, I don't think you have to mess with sales tax. That would be a savings there. Here is my justification process for myself. It works for me, but I don't know how it will work in others thinking. (I'm divorced, kids are grown, so that factor is out of my equation also.) The longer you keep the machine, the cheaper it is. The resale value, on used Explorer Series and E-tracs, has always been good, as long as you take proper care of the machine. Here is my thought on cost, it all depends on ones logic. I had an XS for 10 years & 9 months. It was used as a primary and then a backup machine, after I bought the E-Trac, which is now a backup machine. I had a total of $1350, including the in-line pin-pointer, invested in the XS. I sold the XS w/pin-pointer for $500. So $500 off of $1350, I'm down to an $850 investment. Owned it for 129 months. That's a $6.59 per month. (And that does not take into account the value of things found during that time) How many hobbies are that inexpensive on a monthly basis?? That's one less stop per month at a fast food joint. How's that for justifying a new machine, and I only had to justify to myself....I am heading out right now to finally check this new 3030 out.

and concentrate on finding some gold jewelry that will pay for it....That's what I did with my Excal.....

I like your way of thinking C&R :thumbup:

n/t

I like this. I can find $6 in change per month if I get out on weekends for a couple hours.
Thanks,
MM

:starwars:
This IS the detector I am looking for!!

Love it.
Thanks,
MM

You guys are convincing me.
And I think this machine, from what I have seen is comparing horse and buggy to fully loaded corvette when compared to most detectors out there.
I do work hard. Yes, the 'stress' thing - the Dr. says stress can kill you and I don't want to die! I have so much to live for! My oldest just turned 17. He doesn't need a car yet, and he can save his own money.
HH
MM

I like your thinking Joe.
If I can only get out once in a while, make the most of it!
I think this therapy is working.
MM

Gary
Then Minelab needs to perfect the discrimination on the pulse induction machine, with all the displays and technology in the CTX, with waterproof business, wireless, and anything else they can think of.
US quarter at 32" with the Nokta Gold Sense, but from talking to a guy, it picks out rusty iron like non-ferrous.
The next thing for ML is a CTX with PI.
Until then, the CTX is the best.
MM

I called local dealers and they have a few in stock.
IN STOCK!!!!
No waiting. I could be out detecting tonight!!!!
:rage:

They aren't near as cool as a Seated Dime. Add any 14D pennies you find since they are just Lincoln cents. Just keep religiously on track till you make a dent. I just got an 1894 O dime a few weeks back that should get near a $100 with my old Etrac. What's left in the ground should be deeper and I'm betting a touch more valuable. And if you break it down to a 5 year loan to yourself you're at $42 per month. You hand that to honey and this is important. In paper money because the change you find won't be acceptable. Maybe tip her the extra $8.

G..

called local dealers and they have a few in stock.
IN STOCK!!!!
No waiting. I could be out detecting tonight!!!!

Better jump on one.....They may be sold out the next time you call....;o)