Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How many still use a vintage classic detector from the 70's-80's?

Sven

What are you using?
How often do you use it?
Disc or All Metal mode?
Favorite coil size?
What are the depths you are finding coins and jewelry at with it? Please no inflated, imaginary depths.

I have a 77b that I got on the used market. Don't hardly use it though. I've come to decide that various 2-filter Tesoros (eg.: Bandio, Sabre, etc...) can accomplish about the same thing, and are more user-friendly.

The depth , for a coin-sized target, on the 77b might have been 6" or so in an air test. But in the ground, more like 4 or 5" (depending on the minerals). No disc, other than to null over small iron.

Only detector I have from the 80's is the original Eldorado from Tesoro. Currently it won't power up...almost certain the on/off/sensitivity potentiometer has gone bad. I do remember the last few times I used it that potentiometer was real scratchy? I relocated the control box to the rear to give it a better balance and depending on trash would either use 6", 7" or 8" concentric coils. Still a fun detector to use though it doesn't get used near as much as when it was new. Ha! Discriminate mode is mainly used when searching but would also use all-metal mode to size up targets for more possible target information. May not be the deepest detector but Tesoro's were pretty good when it came to hunting trashier sites. I once dug a fairly deep (8-9") early 1800's large copper 1/2 Skilling at an old plantation site using the Troy 9" concentric coil. I need to look in to checking/changing that on/off/ sensitivity potentiometer and take some more walks down memory lane :>)

Love taking my old Mark 1 out several times a year still. I usually run disc wide open and just listen for the tone. It has dozens of different tones. Many old deep coins will sound in the iron range 3 out of 4 passes over the target. If you don't leave disc open you will not hear that iron bong sound and probably pass up a lot of those deep coins. I always check those deep iron signals with several passes from different directions.

Also love using my old Golden Sabre. Probably one of the best iron separation machines I have, but it's not very deep. 8 inches about tops on a quarter size coin in my ground.

Minty old Garrett A2B is used at least once a year, usually if I know other detectorists will be about. It is a great conversation starter since is has some 'status' in Australia. I run it in all metal VLF, auto tune with the standard coil that is just over seven inches. Depending on the ground coins come in easily at 8 inches. That Groundhog circuitry has a good reputation for hitting hard. Tune it right and it performs. Because it is so clean other detectorists are intrigued and give it a good going over. This old machines has opened the door to great memories and new friends. Best of all it still brings home some good finds.
All the best, Karelian

I still use my Garrett Gold Hunter. I use the 7.5 inch coil and get around 8 inches in depth. very good for hunting relics. I hunt in the all metal mode and switch to the discriminate mode while hunting.

I just might go back and stick with an older detector for this year. Instead of using current new fangled digital processor type detectors which make you feel like your in a rat race all the time.
Have to get back to some basics and enjoy detecting instead of working at it. Most of my finds are located no more than 7" deep, plenty of older units that can fit the bill.

not sure what year its from but I have a fisher 1212x which I love to bring out sometimes,,, always find something with this little machine!

I just purchased a new Mark One LTD. Just to remember my time spent in Delaware. Have several Treasure Barons.

Fisher 1235 for competiton hunting. Great machine but as I age I switched to xp orx

Wilson relic and coin, Teknetics Mark 1 LTD, original Big Bud.The Garrett's and the Whites are to heavy now. Hell I have used them all.

A Whites Eagle Spectrum , with the Rainbow coil . It was my Dads, inherited it when he passed . Used it just a few times,, It's a little heavy . But she still works .

What are you using?White's Coinmaster 6000/D
How often do you use it? Just got it
Disc or All Metal mode?
Favorite coil size?
What are the depths you are finding coins and jewelry at with it? Please no inflated, imaginary depths.
Can't wait to get started. I would like to know if the cable from the coil to the unit has to be a certain length-----mine is wrapped around the rod, but has a lot of excess. Thinking someone may have replaced it I

Can't wait to get started. I would like to know if the cable from the coil to the unit has to be a certain length-----mine is wrapped around the rod, but has a lot of excess. Thinking someone may have replaced it I

Nope. Since it's an AC signal, it's all about the cable impedance .... not DC resistance.
The cable could be just about any length, as long as the impedance matches, and the cable reaches your machine.

I have some Whites like the Eagle 11 Sl, 6000 Pro, a 5900, A Fisher CZ7a, . I just can't use them any more, I am 69 years young, broken back, so I have went to the Deus, and just got a Vanquish 440. I still hunt as much as I can. You guys stay safe out there. flintstone

I have some Whites like the Eagle 11 Sl, 6000 Pro, a 5900, A Fisher CZ7a, . I just can't use them any more, I am 69 years young, broken back, so I have went to the Deus, and just got a Vanquish 440. I still hunt as much as I can. You guys stay safe out there. flintstone
I've got a CZ7 as well. that thing can get really deep on the beach. I was surprised at the depth we were getting with that thing. Hang in there. I hope your back will heal up for you soon.

What are you using?
How often do you use it?
Disc or All Metal mode?
Favorite coil size?

‘I’m tempted to break out my old Mark one tha Scott Hughey modified from a 6000 do pro rod. Moved the trek meter into the new housing. He changed it to us 9 volt batteries which I didn’t care for.
the coolest thing he did was create his own meter background that combined the mark one and whites blue and grey. The original one faded but I recently ran across some spare ones he sent. Need to get off my duff and put a new meter face in, fix the batteries and go for a spin

Love taking my old Mark 1 out several times a year still. I usually run disc wide open and just listen for the tone. It has dozens of different tones. Many old deep coins will sound in the iron range 3 out of 4 passes over the target. If you don't leave disc open you will not hear that iron bong sound and probably pass up a lot of those deep coins. I always check those deep iron signals with several passes from different directions.

Also love using my old Golden Sabre. Probably one of the best iron separation machines I have, but it's not very deep. 8 inches about tops on a quarter size coin in my ground.

Arthur, glad you’re still kicking. Jerry in Virginia here. When the Mark one came out, our old relic sites came alive with bullets. It gave a squeech on really deep stuff. I swear it would hit a 12” bullet in good ground with the 7 1/4” coil.
you would be amazed what it did with the 3-4” Whites coil, especially in iron.