Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How many still use a vintage classic detector from the 70's-80's?

just picked up a fisher 1280 x white 8 inch coil its working great the wife uses it for diving
ive owned a number of these over the years

Still taking out the Tek S/T,have two, one with modified power supply and the other original, both work well, love the tones. Both have 10” coils on them.

I use the Whites 6000 DI/pro, XLT get out as often as I can. New park regs does not allow metal detecting, usually find my targets at 5 to 6 inches, coins mostly clad, deepest was a brass nozzle at 7 to 8 inches,

I have the coinmaster precious metal locator. Here is a picture. I just remember that my father bought one the same back when I was like 8 years ago and it never worked. I'm going to look for it since I know for sure is in my father's house. Then I will try to turn it on and see if it works. I'll make a video just for fun. Imagine turning on after 35 years in my father's dusty attic.View attachment 6474
You will most likely have to replace capacitors.
And possibly some resistors.
Open it up before you turn it on.
Dirt and corrosion may have set in.
Look for swollen,cracked capacitors.
Most anyone with a little electronics knowledge and good soldering skills can re cap it.
Peavy Funk Out guitar cleaner is excellent.
Spray everything inside.
Especially the potentiometers. And switches
Let it soak a while
Gently using canned air or low pressure compressed air.
Blow it dry.
I would try not get it inside the meter housing
Difficult to get out.
Good Luck
Hope to see it running soon.

I have two detectors that are still made today but but have been in production for years.One is the c scope 1220xd which was first made in the late 80's/ early nineties.It's a non motion machine with audio and a needle type meter and being non motion you can swing it as slow as you like,great around hard stubble etc.It's not deep but its great in iron and sensitive on the small silver coins we have over here.
The other is a Saxon sm45 which are built to order.It has an on/off switch and a gain and sensitivity control.It has an all metal control box and knurled aluminium stem locking collars....built like a tank.It is run at full gain and no discrim as full gain is usually stable everywhere and minimum discrim cuts out most small annoying iron while remaining sensitive on small silver and low conductors.Again its not a massively deep machine but the discrim/sensitivity is one of the best ive ever used on any detector and it will embarass a lot of the latest machines on a site littered with iron.It also works extremely well at the beach,even on the wet sand,although not minelab type depths, and ive used it to search harbours where it excels on shallower targets in amongst big bits of iron.
I would'nt be embarassed to take either of these machines to a rally where most have the latest high tech machines.......they are still relevant today because they work well.

After using 4 or 5 different detectors in my days, age and an ailing heart have demanded a lighter machine. I tried to love the digital beasties as hard as I could, but was unable. My current ride is a White's Classic ID for which I paid the princely sum of $75.00.

I mainly hunt the shoreline of several nearby lakes. It cleans up on the vacant volleyball courts.

I just might go back and stick with an older detector for this year. Instead of using current new fangled digital processor type detectors which make you feel like your in a rat race all the time.
Have to get back to some basics and enjoy detecting instead of working at it. Most of my finds are located no more than 7" deep, plenty of older units that can fit the bill.
Amen!

I still enjoy my oll Grand Master Hunter CX 3 Power.
I believe it came out in the late 80's. Really not certain.
Purchased it used around the year 2000.
Excellent condition. With 2 coils.
Have the factory 8" coil. And the lil 4" Super Sniper which pretty much stays on it. Great in those trashy areas.
Wish I could find the 12" Crossfire Deepseaker coil.
Or the after market Hotshot coils I think their called.
Fun machine.
Accurate
When the lil blocks lock on. It's a good target.
Grandkids Love my lil oll sweet talking detector.

Detectors are kinda like fishing reels. The old Zebco 33's that were made way back in the 70's still work fine. I have several that I got as a kid, and they have been used extensively. Fishermen(including myself) like to have the most "hyped" new baitcasters out there. Nowadays I get more pleasure out of taking my old Zebcos down to the pond.

Well Sven, I sure had fun (back in the day) with my White's 5000-D. Alot of knobs, switches and meter. We went to places that are now considered off-limits by the gov't. Silver was more plentiful back then and I had my share of nice finds. I owned Garrett's too. The best Garrett's detector overall that I really liked was the GTI 2500. Dead accurate when PP; loved the treasure talk!

I presently use the Whites XL Pro, again knobs, switches and meter. The two most memorable finds with it were when I was detecting at a park and found a ladies small gold heart with a small pearl and the chain attached. The chain mostly deteriorated cuz it was thin. When I dug it out it measured, an incredible 8 inches!

Lastly, with XL Pro, I found a 1874 large cent. Dug it out at around 8 inches plus. Granted the new detectors can go deeper, have higher detecting freq. and lighter in weight. You still can't beat the XL Pro! ...Mines a keeper!

I still have my bounty hunter Red Baron 5. That thing kicked a— when it came out. No true ID, one sound, but it was deep. I found my first seated dime with it a 7 inches. I made it into a hip mount as it was so heavy. The machine needs work as the potentiometers no longer work.

What are you using?
How often do you use it?
Disc or All Metal mode?
Favorite coil size?
What are the depths you are finding coins and jewelry at with it? Please no inflated, imaginary depths.
Grand kid just out for the summer can you tell me where I can pick up a 1266 x or 1265x .Thank you cjm

the potentiometers no longer work.
This might be heresy to some but a potentiometer can sometimes be fixed by WD40. Spray a little on the shaft and work it in by turning the shaft back and forth. It has worked for me multiple times working as an over the road trucking mechanic. Sometimes a toggle switch can be revived the same way. I would't want it to seep into the internals but wiping the pot off and blowing out with air should keep that from happening. I had intermittent problems with my Tejon ground balance that was cured by this. I also bought a 10 turn potentiometer of the huge auction sight that when hooked up to my Fluke meter didn't work at all. A small amount of WD got it to working just fine. It is definitely worth a try.

don’t have anything that old . I have a tf-900 for cache hunting . Use it very little . Use pre set settings to play around with it here in the yard . I also have a Garrett cx111 master hunter . Use once in awhile. Stock settings coins mode . I like how it locks on coins solidly . Better than some of the detectors now a days that jump all over the place trying to figure out if it’s a penny or not. If it had a faster recovery speed , it would kick some butt against a lot of these newer detectors. They are getting hard to find , especially if you’re looking at the full package that includes both coils and the supreme carry case . Also the two box cache hunter for this is no where to be found but I happen to have one that’s in new condition . I keep it mostly for a collector piece . It was ahead of its time with all the features it had in my opinion

Still have my Whites Eagle Spectrum I bought when it first came out. I use it when I go to playgrounds with a 6" coil. Works great.