Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How many still use a vintage classic detector from the 70's-80's?

Only detector I have from the 80's is the original Eldorado from Tesoro. Currently it won't power up...almost certain the on/off/sensitivity potentiometer has gone bad. I do remember the last few times I used it that potentiometer was real scratchy? I relocated the control box to the rear to give it a better balance and depending on trash would either use 6", 7" or 8" concentric coils. Still a fun detector to use though it doesn't get used near as much as when it was new. Ha! Discriminate mode is mainly used when searching but would also use all-metal mode to size up targets for more possible target information. May not be the deepest detector but Tesoro's were pretty good when it came to hunting trashier sites. I once dug a fairly deep (8-9") early 1800's large copper 1/2 Skilling at an old plantation site using the Troy 9" concentric coil. I need to look in to checking/changing that on/off/ sensitivity potentiometer and take some more walks down memory lane :>)
Before you take it apart.
You could try a good contact cleaner on that pot.
Pevey Funk Out. Made for quality guitars.
Spray Ito the pots. And anything else you want cleaned. Circuit board I'll use a soft tooth brush.
Let it soak awhile. Operate the pots.
Then blow dry.
Good Luck.

While I dont still use one . I once owned a Whites' coin master 6000D. I believe thats what it was. Had the big blue metalic box curved handle with a black button on the handle tip. Here is a pic of the last really good find I made with it. Almost 30 years ago. I gave the machine to my brother in law and dont know if he still has it. But I found this in Suffield , CT. in the front yard of a big colonial farm house . The property had been unused and uninhabited for many years before I got there. It was about 6" deep . I thought it was a toy at first . Until I held it and cleaned it up. It is a Smith Wesson revolver from the 1850's. Name and patent dates are on the sight guide on top of the barrel and very legible. Tried to get them in the photo but couldnt get my phone to focus in that close. It has a rosewood handle grip and still has a lot of the chrome plating left on it. Enjoy.
Awesome find
I'd have that restored.