Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How often do you turn off / on your detector?

On an average day out hunting, how many times do you turn off / on your detector? Do you turn it off for a smoke / coffee break or to give your arm a little rest or to have a chat with somebody?
Does it happen to you to turn it off accidentally by pressing wrong button?

If I'm slamming totlots, probably 20...everytime I get in the truck to travel to some other spot, or when taking a smoke, or making a call. Avg daily probably 10.. I've never turned it off accidentally, but have had the headphone plug come loose, so now every once in a while especially beach hunting, I run the coil near the scoop just to make sure I'm not hunting for nothing! How about you?
Mud

On a typical evening out, I hit at least 2 parks. On a longer outing, I take several 10 minute breaks for which I turn the detector off. I'd guess, minimum twice but some days it may be 10 times.

Usually I turn it on once at the beginning of the hunt, and then again at the end of the hunt.

Once before I leave the house to check that all systems are go and usually only once per hunt . If the detector seems to be acting a little weird I'll turn it off/on then do a noise cancel or a ground balance depending on which detector I am using . My hunts usually range from 1 to 3 hrs. so I don't take breaks .

Unless I take a break or something out of the ordinary occurs, I leave mine on from the time I start hunting till I'm back at my vehicle. I always hunt my way back to the vehicle as I've often made some good finds on the way out.
BB

When I first started hunting seriously (almost a year ago) I would turn it off every time I set it down to dig. I thought I had to save power. But after 4 or 5 times scanning the ground for up to a minute at a time with the detector OFF, I stopped doing that. Backtracking sucks. Besides, with electronics these days, batts last a couple to a few hunts.

Now I do an on-off 'systems check' before heading away from my car, replace batts if necessary, then turn it on at the beginning of the hunt and off at the end.

Turn it on when I start, turn it off when it goes back in the car. Etrac battery lasts forever, so I dont find it real neccessary to keep turning off and on.