Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How old constitutes Vintage anyway?

gfatizzi

The reason I ask is because I just realized that the detector technology in my main detector (Minelab Sovereign XS) is now 30 years old! It was basically unchanged through all the Sovereign iterations from 1991-2005. The XS that I currently swing is about 25-27 yrs old but the technology it uses is 30 now! Amazing how well the Sovereigns have withstood the test of time. A proven detector for sure! Your thoughts? HH George Fatizzi

I’ve read that detectors made in the last 10 years are 10x better that units made prior. Just what I read……… but if it works dont mess with success!!!!! To answer your question tho, the antique and car folks consider 40 years as vintage.

40 yrs??? I'm almost 2X vintage. Time to "pop the cork" and pour me out.

ETA - Sadly...you'd probably get "dust" instead of fine wine. ;)

I'd say it is more the technology than just the age, there was a huge difference between the analog (or mostly analog) T/R machines and the digital detectors. Personally when I think of vintage detectors I think of analog units, mostly T/R and BFO. BTW I had a Sov XS2A pro and to date it is the only detector I regret selling (moved to the Explorer XS when it came out). The later Sovereigns had a really nice balance between response speed and ID accuracy, when I switched to the Explorer I noticed it seemed a little "laggy".

I’ve read that detectors made in the last 10 years are 10x better that units made prior. Just what I read……… but if it works dont mess with success!!!!! To answer your question tho, the antique and car folks consider 40 years as vintage.
That all depends on the detector.
I still use detectors made in the 90's when there is EMI. I then use a Fisher CZ series detector. When they made these detector they lined the inside of the control boxes with copper sheeting which keeps the EMI out
I have detected along the fence of a sub station with no interference/EMI don't know of any other detector that can do that.

Well I guess then that I am double & plus a few years vintage--as I am now 86! :rolleyes: How much is this ole Vintage Lady Worth?? I can say not much in the shape I am in at the present time! :rofl: Ma

I think we might all agree you are priceless…..🥰

No. That would be free and U Haul…….😂
And yes, the bass/baritone singer who sold his soul to the company store!!!

No. That would be free and U Haul…….😂
And yes, the bass/baritone singer who sold his soul to the company store!!!
& he said, ya load 16 tons (COAL) & what do I get, just another day older & deeper in debt--The Company store was like the Gov ya had to buy from them with the Script, as the money, paid by them to the workers that was only good for high priced purchases in their store! GREED & POWER by both! Communism is WORSE! Ya work without pay & only for a Concentration Camp to live in & barely enough food to keep a person alive! Too many do have to learn the hard way! SAD!! Ma

The reason I ask is because I just realized that the detector technology in my main detector (Minelab Sovereign XS) is now 30 years old! It was basically unchanged through all the Sovereign iterations from 1991-2005. The XS that I currently swing is about 25-27 yrs old but the technology it uses is 30 now! Amazing how well the Sovereigns have withstood the test of time. A proven detector for sure! Your thoughts? HH George Fatizzi
I believe anything beginning at 25 years old is considered vintage. Maybe antique even

Still have my Sovereign XS w. Sun Ray DTI 2 meter attached (bought it in '97). It has found more silver than any other detector I've owned. Of course those hot spots were 'virgin' sites. The newer detectors (Etrac, 800, and AT Gold) purchased over the years have recovered very little wherever i've gone over countless times with the Sovereign. They say that a site will never be "hunted out", but the Sovereign sure made that notion hard to believe. It's a keeper.

I've got early excals and CZs that still serve very well; earliest Excal is a Sword model; CZ is a 6a.

Vintage is really in the eye of the beholder. some wine taste better the older they get. some women look a lot better at 40 than at 20. some drivers prefer a manual shift or over an automatic. and some like the early cars over the modern ones. the vintage detectors are more sturdy. and will hold up decade to decade. and the electronic designs were more simple and more straight forward. not all of the bells and whistles. we should be having fun and just beep and go. not spending 15 minutes at the start deciding which computer programs to use. but that is me. so vintage detectors should include the Mine detectors ...the bfo's and the tr's and the VLF's and the VLF/TRs. and the early motion circuit detectors.