Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to carry notes with you in the field.

harryhh

For us newbie's, there is a pretty easy way to take some notes with you in the field without having to carry the manual.

I used Microsoft Word, but you should be able to do just about the same with anything you can type something up with.

I opened a new document, and set the margins all the way around, top, bottom, left , right, to as close to the edge as my printer would print. You may need to test print something to see how close you can get. I set the font to 10, which is a little smaller than usual. I chose Format - Columns and set columns to two. I selected 'Line between.' Two columns with a line between the columns makes it a little neater and easier to read.

While you can then copy and paste information directly from the pdf manual, directly to your note paper, I suggest you don't do so unless you are pretty familiar with Word, or whatever you are using to make the note paper. Copying and pasting directly into your note paper can keep messing up your fonts, spacing, bold setting, etc. Unless you know how to keep that all straightened out, I suggest that you copy and paste first to a separate document and let it make whatever mess it wants to. You can then print that out, and use it as your guide to hand type your note paper. To highlight areas of a pdf document for copy and paste, you need to use the select tool. The little arrow looking thing, not the hand. With the select tool you can drag over and highlight what you want to copy.

You can type up as many pages of notes as you want, but I suggest only two. That way you can print the two pages of notes on one paper, front and back. You can then fold that paper to whatever size is convenient for you, and take it with you in a pocket or pouch.

On my notes, the first part of the paper are notes that I took directly from the manual. A couple of places I added a little from what the manual said for my own needs. Towards the end of the paper is where I will add bits of information I found elsewhere, or thought of myself.

My note paper is still a work in progress, but I will try to attach it here so that you can see how I did mine. I suppose you will need Word to see my note paper, and if this doesn't work out, I will ask how to get it posted here properly.

If you have a smart phone, you can download the minelab app. Open the app, select CTX 3030, then open the manual. Much easier.

Yes, I was recommending such a thing to my sister after she bought the CTX. But, no smartphone, no cellphone for me. Don't like the things.

harryhh, not trying to be rude here but just get out and use the machine. If you wish in the field bring a pocket note book. Record what is meaningful to you as you hunt. Charts and numbers rarely repeat in the field as in books. Hell they rarely repeat from day to day due to rain temp ect...
The more time spent digging and taken the time to learn in the field is priceless! I took several months of testing in the field for me to grasp the 3030's nuances. This was at the loss of many hours of prime hunting. I stood swinging over a target and just seeing what was happening rather that just digging. Then change the program one click and see what happens now. this will be time well spent. I say it takes about 200 hours to just get to know the machine that the rest of your life tweaking it. LOL!
BCNJ

I've noticed much of what you say here, and spent a lot of time just swinging trying to figure out what I've got. But, I don't do enough changing setting on a target to see the differences. Should do more of that.

I get out about every day I can since the ground thawed. Even hit some frozen ground that had been shaded. The CTX seemed to pick up the ice sometimes. Too many rainy days lately. Probably won't be able to get out for two or three more days. Water standing in the fields right now.

The best thing I could tell you is exactly what others have said use the machine but I would add one thing. Pick a program or settings and learn them first then start bouncing around changing things. If you are confident with one you will understand more quickly what a different one is telling you in the field over the same target.

That is how I have been learning the differences. A lot of folks like 50 tones, I for one never owned a Etrac so I had no experience with it. I mostly use gonehuntings settings and a TTF, but 50 tones is audio overload for me at this time. When the fields get grown up this summer and I mess around at the schools I will try the 50 tones more

Hello jtram,

You mentioned going to fields in the summer when they are grown. I've been wondering if it was possible to hunt and swing the coil in a field with weeds about one to two feet. Is that the kind of field you are talking about?

JamesM said:
If you have a smart phone, you can download the minelab app. Open the app, select CTX 3030, then open the manual. Much easier.

Don't know if anyone might be interested, but for those who are, check out CARBONITE for your computer. It is an off-site automatic backup
service (60 bucks per year) and they also have an app for Iphone. You can access any file that is backed up from your hard-drive. I have all
my detector manuals and notes (conductivity readings, stuff in general that i copy and paste to microsoft word organized in files etc.) available
in the field or anywhere. For me its worth the price just for this alone. You can also email any of those files at the touch of a button.