Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to deal with nulling and so forth

Kevin B.

I am presently hunting a yard of an old home. The Etac found me two Mercury (same plug) there yesterday. Half of the yard will let me use my Minelab Coins pattern without nulling. When the Etrac is nulling, will it still pick up items that have not been discriminated out??? I know that the nulling sound happens when a Disc'ed out object passes through the field of detection. But .....what happens if a silver dime is present in the ground while the Etrac nulls??? Does the silver get nulled out too?? I realize that whatever is causing the Etrac to null could possibly MASK a silver coin. But what if the Etrac is nulling over a nail that is 13 inches deep and there is a Merc dime 6 inches deep directly over the 13 inch deep nail??? Will the Etrac pick it up??
I am starting to get concerned that the only place that the Etrac is useful is in areas where it won't null. And I don't won't that to happen, because most places that contain old silver are in places where other old trash is present. I mean.....with the exception of a ball field or somewhere like that. But I hunt old yards. There ARE no old parks in my town. I don't know what the founding fathers of this town (1820) did for fun on weekends, but I have read all five history books of my region. No mention of parks intil the 1970's. And I'm just not a clad hunter. I'm not too good for it......but just don't prefer it. Thanks. (and I hope that this topic belongs here)

My understanding, and correct me if im wrong, when blanking you'll miss good target.

This is where 2-tone ferrous comes in. You run an open pattern anything that is ferrous is a low tone, anything non-ferrous is a high tone....there is no nulling therefore you accept all targets.

This mode is ideal around old homes or anywhere there is lots of iron in the ground. It will sould like a machine gun of low tones with the odd high coming through, my advice is keep your swing slow and run a small coil if you have one.

The high tone (non-ferrous) can be anywhere on the conductive scale so you will need to have a look at the IDs to decide to dig or not. The IDs will typically be off due to the targets proximity to iron, so just take it as a 'ball park' figure.

Personally I added a little blanking where large iron will fulse, the entire CO 50 line and small strip of FE across the top where large iron fulses often (leaving opening for large silver). With these iron fulsing locations out the only blanking is when you go over really large iron and is more 'stable/cleaner' to use.

I use AndyS's coin conductive multi tone out in open parkes etc, and two-tone ferrous in the iron. The only two modes I use now, fantastic combination.

Preface by saying I'm no E-Trac expert by any stretch. I am a newbie. But I did read Andy's book, and have worked with the E in the field for a while. So what I would suggest is that when you are over ground that constantly nulls the threshold, you re-ground balance (noise cancel) the detector, with the coil on the ground. Set Trash Density to High, so that you will hear the strongest acceptable target, not just the strongest target.

Kevin, If you are getting a constant null in areas try switching to 2TF with an open screen in the areas that are nulling. If you hear the low tone grunt then you know the nulling is from an iron object if not then the nulling could be caused by just alot of Iron dust or flakes in the soil. I'd would try Goes4ever web site and use 2TF,it works for me.Read my post above yours Jeff63 Good luck

When I get into a constant null, I switch to TTF and I am good to go. I personally have never got a good signal while in a null, therefore always switch to TTF when I get into heavy iron