Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

HOW TO DIG TARGETS-AND NOT GET BANNED

GunnarMN

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv2BevPQfF0[/video]

n/t

Good video. I have been diggings plugs like that for years. Your dig is almost undetectable if done correctly. Deffinately need a bowl or towel. I personally use a towel and even hunted with guys that use a frisbee to hold the dirt. I especially like the idea of adding pulled grass to the hole. Never thought of that before. That is something I will start doing. Also I never hunt during a dry spell. Harder to dig and plugs don't do so well without moisture. Keep up the good job of your videos.
HH. Rick in Pa

I hadn't heard of or thought of the pulled up grass, either. Seems like a good idea - at least no harm. I often plug leaving one side connected as a hinge. Whether that's better or not, I'm not sure, but going over the same area a few days later all seems well.
BB

While I understand that large plugs are often better for the grass regrowing, I doubt that the general public feels the same way. Guys with shovels, even the smaller long handled 'trowels' in a public park make me cringe and wonder how long until metal detecting gets banned at this location.

Gunnar, outstanding video!:thumbup:

I was just thinking today that metal detecting clubs need to have some videos done like you just did and put them on CDs to pass out to government officials to show them that if done properly there is no harm done to the turf when removing targets. Most of this ban stuff is done out of complete ignorance. People think that digging is just bad, because they just don't know any better. Besides, we pay taxes to maintain the parks and do less harm detecting than kids do playing sports. It's all a mindset.:)

tabman

Nice video, thanks. I too leave a hinge because I was told it gives the plug a better chance of staying green. Like the idea of the grass in the hole.
I would add one precaution; never dig with bare hands especially in a public park.

Excelent vidio. I think it should be on a dvd and be required to be included as part of the package that comes with Every detector that is sold. I cut an oval plug for the same reason you cut a square plug. A "round" plug, if not cut exactly round, doesn't always fit back in the hole properly. Poorly aligned plugs leave an obvious outline. Every newby (and some old timers) needs to see your vidio. Thanks, Gene

Gunnar,
you are an asset to the hobby. Thank you for the demonstration video and precision in replacing the ground close as possible to its original condition. If everyone carried this procedure out, I feel there would be more places open to hunt.

Gunnar, loved the nonchalant way you said "It was a gold ring, about 8 inches deep" as if it were nothing more common than another pulltab. Then came the disclaimer, I buried this by the way. Lol, still good stuff and thanks for the tips about packing the soil before adding the plug and tossing in a little grass as well. I mainly "flap" but the same tips still apply. I like that Wilcox digger by the way, my Predator knife is great for cutting the flap or plug but forget about it if you actually want to scoop the dirt out.

Will not work at all here. Once the weather here gets past January/Febuary the ground is dry below 2 inches and the parks cannot use enough water to make it wet below that. So I stick to using a probe and hitting the coin.. There are very few old coins left in the parks here is any.

Great tutorial I have to agree though with Jim, being in AZ almost all of our ground is solid which makes it impossible for nice plugs like this, Most of my holes are minimal and undetectable when I leave regardless.

I will keep making mine with a flap. I just don't think the grass would make any difference.

Excellent video , there should be a copy with every new detector sold

I use the flap method too. I usually do a three sided square with the side nearest me cut at a slight angle. That way the plug flips out leaving the roots on the uncut side intact and also helps prevent the bottom of the plug from breaking off.

mrwilburino said:
I use the flap method too. I usually do a three sided square with the side nearest me cut at a slight angle. That way the plug flips out leaving the roots on the uncut side intact and also helps prevent the bottom of the plug from breaking off.

Square seems to blend better than a horseshoe for a nicer finish. Not sure why but it does.

Depends where your hunting and the soil. On turf, and if its got to be perfect, I like the hinge plug. I use one of those cloth place mats the wife uses under our plates at the dinner table. I took a couple that she doesn't use much, so far she hasn't noticed. They fold up real nice and last forever.

The only thing i don't like about the hinge plug is, it gets in the way for a swing back over the hole. Some soils don't plug, they just fall apart because not enough roots to hold them together or the soil is just loose and or sandy. In the woods, the soil is usually loose and it doesn't have to be as perfect as a lawn, but close.

Mrwilburino, are you a carpenter? that's the way a carpenter thinks...like the bevel on a door.... 'the slight angle'......good thinking!