Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

HOW TO DIG TARGETS-AND NOT GET BANNED

shadowulf said:
I had a talk with one of the senior park managers in my area about plugging. For our area, he recommends to keep it as small as possible ajust press the plug in when done. No fertilizers or special treatment. This area has too many variables to contend with. But j did not get the third degree or a scowling look. He was friendly and even said good luck.
Yep all those variables! I also tend to agree with the no fertilizer thing. Depending on the fertilizer (and no after watering), that could even 'burn' the roots dead creating a permanently dry'd up plug.

The depth of the target will determine the dia. of the hole.
For a few inch deep target, i use a smoothed out screw driver to probe any pry out the target. Just about minimal to no damage to the turf.

On the other hand, the foot+ deep coins (and nails :angry:) i've dug up obviously required a large dia. hole. The trick here is to make it look like no hole was ever dug.
I typically spend more time re-plugging those deep holes than digging and retrieving the target.

wvrick said:
Glad to see post like this one! I was just watching Youtube videos and seen so many people digging in playgrounds and public parks with long handled tools (shovels). A sure way to get ban from public property! I spend some of my own detecting time fixing other peoples hole when I come across them, even some golf divots so they don't get mistaken for people hunting. I just wish everyone used a little common sense.
It'd be great if all detectorists would take the time to learn how to plug and re-plug properly. I also will fix a bad plug or in some cases an open hole where a shallow plug was sucked up and blown a few feet away by the park mower.

Far as no long handled shovels in public parks, its a real PITA digging a foot deep hole with a garden spade. Granted most parks do not have targets that deep but some of them around here do. They've been filled in and sodded over in the past.

My solution to that dilemma is sorta the best of both worlds.... a stealthy garden-spade / long-handled shovel.
I fabricated a 10 inch bladed shovel with a collapsible long handle. When walking around sweeping, the handle is collapsed looking like a large garden spade and its left that way until i detect a deep target. Then i extend the handle, lock it in place and start digging that really deep silver.
When i get time, maybe i'll post pics of it.