Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to GB the Omega?

Can anyone give me a good explanation on how to GB the Omega in the most simple words. Sometimes, you guys use too many technical words only known by professional metal detectorists. I recently bought the Omega and I think it is a great machinne but even reading the manual is kind of confusing. Specially the section of Ground Balance. Thanks a lot and regards to all on this forum.

turn on machine

find a spot void of metal by sweeping around and low bars when pumping the coil up and down over an area. ( see the Fe2o4 ) graph in the upper right hand corner of the display...... you want this display to be have as low of bars as possible when pumping the coil.

crank up sensitivity to the point of a slight hum ( in all metal mode )

after you find that spot....... hold the ground grab button and pump that coil until the number to the right of the display settles down.

if you hunt the same type of soil, you can also just crank the ground balance down manually to the number that you typically see and if your ground error bars are high or low while sweeping , you can adjust accordingly.

hope that helps.... hope that's right.... that's how i do it.

I will record that on my next video if i get the chance this weekend

all iron said:
turn on machine

find a spot void of metal by sweeping around and low bars when pumping the coil up and down over an area. ( see the Fe2o4 ) graph in the upper right hand corner of the display...... you want this display to be have as low of bars as possible when pumping the coil.

crank up sensitivity to the point of a slight hum ( in all metal mode )

after you find that spot....... hold the ground grab button and pump that coil until the number to the right of the display settles down.

if you hunt the same type of soil, you can also just crank the ground balance down manually to the number that you typically see and if your ground error bars are high or low while sweeping , you can adjust accordingly.

hope that helps.... hope that's right.... that's how i do it.

I will record that on my next video if i get the chance this weekend

Good post and info here!

I do it a little different:

1. set unit to auto-tune mode
2. turn sensitivity to barely give a audible threshold sound. I like to have the coil at my preferred coil scanning height when doing step 2.
3. start scanning the ground until you find a patch of ground that has no metal. Once that is done:
4. elevate coil 6" above ground. Rapidly lower coil to ground (the coil needs to be lowered to height that you are actually going to be sweeping the coil. Could be flush to ground, 1/2", 1" etc.) This coil height step at ground level gives maximum depth to the machine after balancing.
5. As you are rapidily bobbing coil down and up to 6", press and hold either the up or down ground balance listening to the audio threshold for sound variation (increase/decrease). (See the bottom of pg. 17 in the Omega booklet to learn the audio sound variations to ensure proper manual ground balancing). Ultimately you want to achieve a audio threshhold that does not vary, whether the coil is being lowered to or raised up from the ground. A single smooth tone with no increase or decrease. Once that even audio threshold is obtained, the ground balancing is done.
6. Now you can switch to discriminate mode, as the ground balance setting from Autotune mode carries over to Discriminate mode.

If you really want max depth from the Omega, "you need to do manual audio based ground balancing (the above listed method) in the Autotune mode". You also need to Not to use the more automated Ground Grab as that is not the most efficent method. IMHO. Using the bars only, to gauge proper ground balance is misleading. They are no where's near as accurate as the ground balance of a non-varying audio tone.
Lots of really experienced Omega owners 'Do Not' use the simplified Ground Grab method in Autotune. Also, never use the GG button method when unit is in the discrimination mode. If you insist on using GG button method, always from the Autotune mode.
In most areas the ground will be fairly stable at a certain ground balance number range, so the next time you are there detecting you can quickly set the GB numbers during setup (do this after step 3 and before step 4) to what they were the last time you were there. Speeds up the GB process. Then its just a quick fine tune of the Up/Down GB buttons to find the audio sweet spot.
It may be a pain to initially learn this, but you shortchange yourself and the Omega's performance otherwise. Please do take the time to read & understand audio based ground balancing. Its the most important thing a detectorist can know, if their machine allows for it to be done that way. The Omega is a really awesome depth machine when GB'd correctly, and rather average, when not. I hope I didn't sound harsh or condescending. I want you to be successful.
mode over metal free ground, bob the coil, and listen for any changes in audio threshold. If its varying, then re-ground balance in Autotune.
Once you learn this audio based manual GB procedure, it takes all of about 30 seconds to perform.

Excellent, you know, i have read that but never tried it.
Looking forward to see how much of a difference it makes.
Really looking forward to see how different i will adjust in that fashion away from the auto ground grab setting.

You Know.... that's what i really like about this forum.... lots of useful advise and perspectives

Happy Holidays Everybody!

My last sentence above wasn't finished...whoops...should read as:

Every so often switch to the pinpoint mode, sweep to find metal free ground, bob the coil, and listen for any changes in audio threshold. If its varying, then re-ground balance in Autotune.
Once you learn this audio based manual GB procedure, it takes all of about 30 seconds to perform.

Excellent tips all the way. I thought Monte was the only one to give a professional advice and tip. I really appreciate all the info. from you guys. You are really helpfull for all of us beginners.

I was excited to see this info, and ran outside to learn the process. It was quick and easy.
I then compared it to the GB #s I got using the GG feature, and they were the same.
Repeated the process several times, always with the same result.
Am I missing something here in the process? Does GB with the audio in AT achieve something that GG in Disc does not?

Not trying to argue or question the advice, just want to make sure I am doing it correctly.

Thanks
Tony

You know i to get the same result both ways but with a very minor adjustment.
You have to hit the up or down arrow keys 10 times to make the number change 1 full number and i think the fine tuned manual adjustment is about that far off, nothing major just a few clicks up or down to get the audio response to completely disappear.

Auto ground grab will get you real close

OK, that makes sense. The AT audio GB just gets you a little bit closer than the Disc GG feature does alone.

Thanks all iron.