Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to impress a 17 year old

Overvoltage

My 17 year old son was in the garage constructing a boom for an elevated mounting of his GoPro. After he attached the mount (no camera, just the mount) he took it out in the yard to show my wife what he was doing. While in the yard he lost the lock nut to the mount. Apparently, this is some special made nut made specifically for these mounts. In a panic he comes in the house and asked me if I thought I could use my metal detector to Find it. I said sure and for what I thought would be an easy find, I grabbed my Garrett GTA500. Two sweeps and I realized this was not the tool for the job. The discrimination was just not good enough with all of the construction junk that is just under the turf. So, I grab the CTX3030. I load Gone Hunting's program with an open screen. Had him wave a spare nut he had from another mount under the coil so I could see what to look for. It registered bottom right where nails hit but I noticed that it also would chirp a little at the 12:01. It was not a solid chirp and did not give a solid hit there. Hoping that was a characteristic and not just a coincidence, I started scanning listening for that slight 12:01 chirp amongst the trash and nails. about 5 feet into the grass I heard what I was listening for. My son eagerly started running his fingers through the grass looking and did not see anything. I told him to hold on and I grabbed my pin-pointer and ran it over the patch and it started chirping. He looked and there it was. My 17 year old looked at me and said "Wow dad, that was amazing." It was like angels singing in my ear. Best find I ever made with my detector, both technically and in emotional satisfaction in the find having impressed my son.

That's a great memory that your son will carry with him for a long time. Don't forget to take him for lunch after he finishes his mount.

What a great way to save the day! Glad he was impressed!

Two of the hardest things to do... Find a double eagle gold coin and impress a 17 year old boy, especially if he is your son.

You have done well.