Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to make Equinox fully submersible

Aquatic ( Fl )

Your choice, 1 of 2 options. Accessories - # 1 Water proof headphones with water proof connector, ( part no. 3011- 0372 ) This will give you & equinox the freedom to be '' FULLY SUBMERGED '' from your head to your toes. # 2 Headphone adaptor cable, ( part no. 3011-0369 ) with water proof connector at one end. The other end connector is not water proof, ( keep above water line ) This connection is for your headphone preference. ( WADING ONLY ) NOW !!! you can '' GO JUMP IN THE LAKE ''............... Amen / God bless you all !!!

This is the third post you've made on this subject. You could just keep all replies in the first thread. You're either unwell or just not competent with computers. Once again, you don't provide any links or sources, forcing us to do the homework.

Option 1 - this sounds similar to how other machines like the Equinox operates. The AT Pro, for example, can be fully submerged with waterproof headphones or you can use regular headphones on land. This is not strange at all.

Option 2 - for wading and using non-waterproof headphones. This is normal.

My guess is that there is also a waterproof seal for when you're wading but using wireless. Otherwise, how do you think it should work? Hardwired waterproof headphones? Wireless waterproof headphones that can transmit through water? A waterproof jack that can take a standard audio plug? Or do you think it's possible to have a normal headphone jack, for using regular headphones, but you can go underwater? Seriously, what are you suggesting as an alternative? Name me one machine that can be fully submerged without either hardwired headphones or a soecial adapter.

Odds are it is only water "resistant" without the waterproof jack. Probably safe in a quick downpour
or accidental dunk by a clumsy oaf like me. If I made it I would put a second O ring on the inside.
Just opinion so dont push your luck !

73 Tom N.H.
LFOD !

ive just seen this vid, was hoping this guy was going to dunk it in the water https://youtu.be/86P3j1NAJZ8

This is easy for me, just a copy and paste from his other post for the same topic. :D

Aquatic ( Fl )
Fully submersible '' OUT OF THE BOX '' Apparently, No. Needs accessory, 1 of 2 options. Shallow wading only, with caution. Please correct me if you think otherwise.

If I'm reading your post correctly, your statement is that in order to be submersible, the Equinox needs the optional waterproof headphones attached?

Hard to say. I observed in Minelabs' introductory video that Brandon dunked the Equinox in the river/pond without any headphones attached. Observe at the :40 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUz1xl-d-nE&list=PL-wOIlBb-BIdBuxZ3azWEmN3c16zsoo76

I'm hoping he was demonstrating that the detector is dunkable without a headphone attached. If I didn't understand your statement / question, perhaps you could clarify.

Rich

Greg,

You did look at the Official Minelab Video I referred to above? Brandon puts the Equinox underwater WITHOUT any accessories attached.

Rich -

Greg (E.Tn) said:

Greg, dont put any faith in the words of this troll.

Aquatic ( Fl ) said:
Your choice, 1 of 2 options. Accessories - # 1 Water proof headphones with water proof connector, ( part no. 3011- 0372 ) This will give you & equinox the freedom to be '' FULLY SUBMERGED '' from your head to your toes. # 2 Headphone adaptor cable, ( part no. 3011-0369 ) with water proof connector at one end. The other end connector is not water proof, ( keep above water line ) This connection is for your headphone preference. ( WADING ONLY ) NOW !!! you can '' GO JUMP IN THE LAKE ''............... Amen / God bless you all !!!

Your passing along some bad information my friend, there is a rubber or plastic plug attached to the coil cable connector that stays in place by being attached around the end of the coil cable connector where the coil attaches to the detector housing. Not only that, the headphone jack is made where water will not enter the headphone jack, although, it could corrode if you don't
use the provided plug. If you do a little research on a certain forum, there are pictures provided by a tester along with his explanation. You shall know the truth and the truth will set you free, as a very wise man once said!!!

I am really wanting this machine to be good in the water. I normally water detect in shallow rivers with a medium to heavy current, an freshwater lakes and swimming holes.

I am a bit antsy about how this detector will handle river current. I'm not so much concerned about depth, I'm worried that the effects of the current will somehow invade the integrity of seals.

Thanks again for your reminders, both of you.

I have my Equinox on order just like everyone else but I know I will have to buy the waterproof headphones to be able to use this unit underwater. I use my machines fully submerged and without the “accessory” headphones I will not be able to use it. What did this guy post that was incorrect?

Everything he posts is with a troll like attitude. While it's correct it's also like that with all waterproof machines. The other point he made on another thread whuch was incorrect was it's not submersible without phones which is incorrect the jack is designed to keep water out even without phones the cap prevents dirt from effect connection.

On the "dunking" any well built detector will be a little water "resistant". A quick dunking wont give water much
chance to invade. Go deeper & more PSI so water gets in faster. A little clean fresh water probably wont do
damage if it evaporates fast. Salt water will leave conductive crud behind & slowly eat away at things.
The river current question is interesting. In a fast current more PSI. A few yrs ago I was in the WMNF & saw
this cat MDing a swimming hole. He was in white water. Should have talked to him but I was on a mission to get
Brookies for diner. For that day he did fine in almost unswimmable water.
Keep in mind if it is safe at 10' it was designed to go deeper. Like your gas gauge says E but you have 2 gallons
left. ML guaranties 10 feet so you have to build in tolerance to combat human nature & aging.
BTW rough PSI at surface .43, 10' 4.7, 20' 9.

OH NO I have dunked my phone !!
Pull battery & shake out as much water as you can.
Take home as fast as you can & disassemble as far as you feel safe.
Vigorously wash with 91% isopropyl alcohol.
Shake out & put in very warm dry place like the sun.
Reassemble when DRY & test.
I have saved abt 5 phones, radios & HT's with 100% success including salt water once.

73 Tom N.H.
LFOD !

Have never taken my CTX in a high current area but have in the pounding surf and it has held up well. Have taken my Stingray II,CZ20 and 21 into the rapids of the rivers and have had no issues although these units are rated for much deeper water than the CTX and the Equinox. I like that the Equinox battery does not need to be removed to be charged like the CZ’s...which should prevent a lot of the issues that occur with the CTX.

I am not challenging the water proof integrity of the equinox, that is yet to be known. This is no more than a heads-up awareness to the '' OUT OF THE BOX '' operational aspect. I am called a troll and not trustworthy. What are these stone throwers trying to hide ? or is it a lack of knowledge ( ignorance ) If I am to be labelled a troll, to get my point across, so be it. '' READ MY LIPS '' The operational equinox '' OUT OF THE BOX '' needs wired water proof connection / connector accessory 1 of 2 options, to be fully submerged ( below water line ). With out the water proof accessory, shallow wading only ( control box / electronics ) above water line. I would like to think, that the equinox is highly water resistant, in this aspect. Only Minelab / field testers can make that call. '' MAKE MY DAY '' In a previous post / reply, a troll caller / stone thrower, enters the AT PRO into the equation, as an example. He states that water machines are equal / common, having a need for water proof accessories. From my experience, most water machines come water ready / submersible '' OUT OF THE BOX '' hardwired or changeable coil and headphones. He failed to mention the luxury of the AT PRO. The headphones supplied, with the AT PRO are not water proof, but the cable has a '' TRUE '' water proof connector. The AT PRO '' OUT OF THE BOX '' is operational from dry land to '' FULLY SUBMERGED '' ( CHIN DEEP ). Can the equinox do that, '' OUT OF THE BOX''? I think not. '' HERE IS THE RUB '' The equinox '' OUT OF THE BOX '' requirements, to be fully submersible is a first for me and other water hunters alike. I accept these facts, with no issue regarding performance. I am confident the equinox will excel in performance, over shadowing this matter.
I am looking forward to the delivery of my pre-ordered 600 and 800 from day one. I build my own water proof headphones and fabricate connectors, plus modification. I welcome the equinox and user to the fabulous aquatic world of metal detecting-----36 years, fresh and salt water detecting.------AMEN/GOD BLESS YOU ALL !!!

As I understand it. The Equinox is completely submersible out of the box. Obviously the plastic cap should be screwed on even though the plug inside is 100% waterproof, but this cap will keep debris out of plug. I am guessing that once the unit floods the speaker will stop working until drained (like the CTX). I am sorry if I am repeating what you just said, I was having some difficulty following along.

Aquatic --

First off, we've been somewhat overrun by trolls here, so some members are maybe making snap judgements when what looks like another "trolling" post shows up, from a user who has never posted before and thus we have no background/history to go off of. Maybe, occasionally, someone is jumped for being a troll who really was not trying to "troll," but whose post was instead genuine, and simply misunderstood.

I will presume you were not "trolling," as it seems at this point to me that you were not. It's hard to tell for sure, as I still can't totally understand your point, or what you are trying to say. But, as far as I can tell, you seem to have been truly trying to gather information. So based on that assumption, I'll try to give you the information I think you seek, as I understand it, and hopefully can clarify the whole "waterproof right out of the box" issue.

Your first post stated that the Equinox is not able to be submerged "right out of the box." That's not true. IF you were trying to say that the Equinox is "not submersible out of the box," from the perspective that it doesn't have waterproof headphones IN THE BOX, included with the purchase, then I guess one could say it is not "able to be HUNTED WITH, UNDERWATER, straight out of the box." If you want to hunt with the unit underwater, and use headphones, then yes, you need waterproof headphones that must be purchased separately. BUT -- on the other hand, you DO have everything necessary, IN THE BOX, to toss your Equinox in the lake, or hold it underwater, AND HAVE IT REMAIN FULLY WATERPROOF. As long as you don't have corded headphones attached to the Equinox control box itself (you can still attach corded headphones to the WM08 module supplied with the 800 and have the unit remain waterproof), then the machine remains FULLY WATERPROOF, right out of the box. In fact, it could be said for the 800 model, which DOES NOT COME WITH wired headphones at all (only wireless ones), that there is no way to make the Equinox 800 NOT FULLY WATERPROOF "right out of the box."

Again, you do NOT need anything that is not supplied in the box, to safely submerge the Equinox. The waterproof headphone connector is waterproof WITH NO HEADPHONES ATTACHED, as I understand it, and it also comes with a screw-on cap for the headphone connection so as to offer a second layer of waterproofing protection (and also to keep out dust, and -- in the case of salt water, keep out salt -- from the headphone port). SO -- if you are shallow-wading a lake, hunting with wireless headphones, and you fall and your detector goes completely underwater, NO PROBLEM. It's waterproof. If you are hunting the wet sand, and using corded headphones attached to the WM08 module in your pocket, and you lay the Equinox down to retrieve a target, and a huge wave comes crashing in and fully submerges the Equinox, NO PROBLEM. It's waterproof. The ONLY time the Equinox becomes UN-waterproof, is if you plug in a set of NON-waterproof headphones directly to the unit -- i.e. phones without the screw-on, waterproof connector.

Now, you might say, "well fine, maybe I can submerge it 'right out of the box,' but I can't HUNT with it underwater 'right out of the box,' since there are no waterproof headphones included and I can't use wireless phones because you can't transmit wireless signal underwater." And yes, that would be true; if you want to HUNT underwater, you need to buy separate, waterproof headphones. BUT -- that's a different argument from what you said, which is -- "the Equinox, out of the box, needs waterproof headphones to be fully submerged." NO, it does not. The headphone connector is waterproof WITHOUT ANY headphones attached, and even has the "extra" layer of protection with the screw-on cap. So, your statement was incorrect. Hopefully, this clears up the issue, and helps to explain why folks may have thought you were just "trolling."

Steve

EDITED TO ADD -- GKMan beat me to the punch a little bit, so this post is a tad redundant now, but hopefully makes everything clear.

Here is a Minelab available headphone adapter. One can use any pair of headphones with a correct size
audio plug for land use. Headphones with 1/4" plugs can be used with this adapter.
The 1/4" jack as far as I have found out is NOT waterproof and if the detector end does not have an ORing,
it also will not be waterproof.

To be waterproof the headphone cable must be terminated with the shown connector and an ORing.

Without hard wired headphones all wireless headphones will loose audio connection when the control box
is submerged by as little as 1/4" of water. Going by the above information I have I would not call the Equinox
as "waterproof out of the box"

Cable Part No. 3011-0369 .................................................... headphone Part No. 3011-0372

Problem is ML to my knowledge has NOT answered the question. Also NOBODY has a complete consumer ready EQ yet, not even
the testers. Also no manual yet that would HAVE to give the correct answer. The quick start guide is probably a
prelim also I wouldnt trust that.
Try writing ML. Maybe now that its close they will say. & keep it super simple to avoid the language barrier or a Clintonesque
response.

Tom N.H.
LFOD !