Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to make the Etrac detect only 4 to 5 inches deep.

nge

I am asking this for a friend. he wants to know how to make his new to him, Etrac detect only shallow targets. I told him to reduce sensitivity and set it at -3 in automatic, did I tell him right? I never want to dig only shallow targets, but to each his own. ........NGE

You provided excellent advise... I've tested this in my coin test bed... Have your friend bury two targets, one at 6 inches and one at the 4 to 5 inch level and adjust the sensitivity to where the 6" target stops being detected.

You can do it that way or swing 5” above the ground...

It'd be even better if he was to put it in Manual and reduce Sensitivity to 5 or just below: that will react to shallow stuff in the main.
He could also reduce the Gain as well and that also reduces the depth.

A lot of good stuff < 6 inches. In my neck of the woods, the soil profiles favor shallow targets at times. It would seem that recovery fast and reducing sensitivity would do it. Also, would you think a good disc pattern could come in to play very well with a moderate swing-speed? No reason to hunt deep when the targets are shallow. I think I will give this a go.

It took me and a friend too long (approx. 8 months) of tweaking, testing, and trying everything experimental to develope a "custom" program and screen pattern to make our Etracs detect as deeply as possible with the stock coil.

Can now hear all the sounds trash, nails, it IS NOT TTF! I can hear everything down to 14" on a silver dime, bone dry soil, rock hard clay. If there are no coin signals down deep mixed in with the trash, I don't dig it. If there is, I will get the coin or other item out, then remove all the trash..........NGE

NGE , I have a question.. Have you gained any knowledge from this forum to help
you develop your " custom " program and pattern ?

Yes and no. We knew what we wanted to achieve and we have been using the etrac since day one, couple of months after it first came out. Sure glad I had an EX II that I came from, so the learning curve wasn't that bad. I am still learning my etrac's quirks and idiosyncrasies. Every time I think I have it figured out "BAM!" It throws me for an unexpected loop. Like, why does a clad dime come in at 12/47 or 48? And sometimes silver comes in at as low as a 12/33? We are not heavily mineralized here in southeastern lower Michigan. Only in some well known parks that have been filled with "slag" from the many steel mills in the area. When I was using a "TR" high freq. Brand detector in the early to late 70's, When we would get into these slag filled areas, our machines would get their circuits overloaded and it would take several days for our machines to un-load again and start working normal. But with my Etrac, I have no problems in those areas, and have taken many nice prizes from the areas. To better answer your question, it was knowledge gleaned from all over the net, other forums, this forum and flying by the seat of our pants.........NGE

Question #2 , have you shared this custom program and pattern so that beginners like myself can dig 14" dimes ?

......I don't think I ever dug a single coin from 14" with an E Trac??? I really wouldn't want to! Too tiring.
However, many years ago I dug a 50pence coin from around 22"-24" from wet sand salt beach with an Explorer XS.

NGE , have you really found dimes at 14" surrounded by trash with the stock coil ? I can't wait until the day that I figure out your technique and I'm sure there are others that would have great interest as well.
So I would like to thank you in advance for any valuable information that you can share and we can call it the " NGE DEEP DIG " , you will be famous !

LIft the coil about a foot off the ground. :blink:

R

nge said:
It took me and a friend too long (approx. 8 months) of tweaking, testing, and trying everything experimental to develope a "custom" program and screen pattern to make our Etracs detect as deeply as possible with the stock coil.

Can now hear all the sounds trash, nails, it IS NOT TTF! [size=large]I can hear everything down to 14" on a silver dime,

size bone dry soil, rock hard clay. If there are no coin signals down deep mixed in with the trash, I don't dig it. If there is, I will get the coin or other item out, then remove all the trash..........NGE​

*****************************​

A siver Dime at 14 inches !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ????

You must be detecting in Disney land.