Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How to run the LEAST filtering

KinTN

As I see it, there's the following boxes you can tick (or choices you can make) to add different filtering/processing in the CTX:

1) Recovery Fast
2) Recovery Deep
3) Seawater
4) Target Separation
5) Response
6) Tone ID Profile (?)
7) More/Less discrimination (?)
8.) anything else such as GPS that uses computing power

Each of these may cause the CTX processor to slow down its response, albeit to a very tiny degree in some cases.
How would you CTX experts set each of the above to achieve the least amount of filtering and hopefully the fastest operation of the CTX processor?

I'm thinking :
1-3 = off
4 = Low Trash
5 = Normal
6 = Combined
7 = open screen/no discrimination
8 = everything possible off, tho I wouldn't think that the other systems would draw much computer chip time.

I'm thinking about a baseline, lowest filtering, case here on which to build and experiment.

Those ARE my settings but I didn't do it for speed. It just runs well like this.

CT Todd said:
Those ARE my settings but I didn't do it for speed. It just runs well like this.

That in itself says a lot. Thanks, Todd.

KinTN said:
As I see it, there's the following boxes you can tick (or choices you can make) to add different filtering/processing in the CTX:

1) Recovery Fast
2) Recovery Deep
3) Seawater
4) Target Separation
5) Response
6) Tone ID Profile (?)

Each of these may cause the CTX processor to slow down its response, albeit to a very tiny degree in some cases.
How would you CTX experts set each of the above to achieve the least amount of filtering and hopefully the fastest operation of the CTX processor?

I'm thinking :
1-3 = off
4 = Low Trash
5 = Normal
6 = Combined
8 = everything possible off, tho I wouldn't think that the other systems would draw much computer chip time.

I'm thinking about a baseline, lowest filtering, case here on which to build and experiment.

I would agree with you on 1 - 3. The others have zero impact on "filters" or processor speed.
#4 changes which part of the signal it looks at, but it's looking at the signal anyway
#6 changes what tone it plays for a target, but it's already looking at the settings to make that tone regardless of the specific one you choose
#7 changes whether to sound or be silent, but it's already looking at settings for that regardless of where you put that block-out.

I don't know if GPS being on is taking away from processing speed, but I can see that it could be possible.

Deep ON turns ON filters to help smooth out the ID and GAIN set to 28-29 makes DEEP objects louder anyways so DEEP ON isn't necessary so I don't do it.
Fast ON turns OFF some filters so I do it. It helps with a slightly faster reset of the processor the same with the Etrac but it can slightly clip the response sound.
Now one not mentioned is Ground Difficult or Ground Normal. If your soil is as bad as mine is(85-90) on other detectors I own I would go with ground difficult if yours is not then stay at ground normal.
Trash High the machine sees both the good and bad targets but sounds off on the good targets supposedly not the bad. Trash Normal it will sound off on the bigger of the 2 targets or the one that elicits the larger response.
I use Trash High and Ground Difficult and GAIN at 28-29 and Fast ON on my CTX most all the time.
This summer I will try with Saltwater turned on to see what the numbers that it runs at in Auto +3 that I run at change any.

EtracTom-AdirondacksNY said:
Deep ON turns ON filters to help smooth out the ID and GAIN set to 28-29 makes DEEP objects louder anyways so DEEP ON isn't necessary so I don't do it.
Fast ON turns OFF some filters so I do it. It helps with a slightly faster reset of the processor the same with the Etrac but it can slightly clip the response sound.
Now one not mentioned is Ground Difficult or Ground Normal. If your soil is as bad as mine is(85-90) on other detectors I own I would go with ground difficult if yours is not then stay at ground normal.
Trash High the machine sees both the good and bad targets but sounds off on the good targets supposedly not the bad. Trash Normal it will sound off on the bigger of the 2 targets or the one that elicits the larger response.
I use Trash High and Ground Difficult and GAIN at 28-29 and Fast ON on my CTX most all the time.
This summer I will try with Saltwater turned on to see what the numbers that it runs at in Auto +3 that I run at change any.

Ground difficult does not exist

KinTN said:

1) Recovery Fast
2) Recovery Deep
3) Seawater
4) Target Separation
5) Response
6) Tone ID Profile (?)

I'm thinking :
1-3 = off
4 = Low Trash
5 = Normal
6 = Combined

KinTN,

ETA is right...Fast ON actually turns OFF some filtering, and speeds up the processing. (It's in the manual.)

As far as the discrim screen, ML recently told me the more cluttered the screen, the slower the processing, and the more likelihood of missing deep targets.
(I haven't had a change to test this personally, so it's hearsay until I see it for myself.)

And EtracTom...as far as Groud Difficult / Ground Normal...those are eTrac only settings. What the CTX has instead is manual ground balance.

I've never tried Saltwater on, but SUBE swears it lets his machine run with more gain. I'll try it if the snow ever melts.

The rest of your settings are probably no more that personal prefs, although turning off GPS, wireless, and lowerering the backlight will give you maximum battery life,
In turn, that could mean you find more because you could stay out detecting longer.

hh
:)
mike

Now one not mentioned is Ground Difficult or Ground Normal. .

?????????

Something on an Etrac? don't seem to remember seeing this on a CTX but then again, maybe I've just never found it???

Cliff

nagov said:

?????????

Something on an Etrac? don't seem to remember seeing this on a CTX but then again, maybe I've just never found it???

Cliff

nagov,

Don't bother looking for it. That's an eTrac ONLY setting.
Sometimes with all the options, and all the detectors to use, it's easy to get them confused.

What the eTrac has instead, is manual Ground Balance.

mike

trojdor said:
nagov said:

?????????

Cliff

nagov,

Sometimes with all the options, and all the detectors to use, it's easy to get them confused.

mike

Uh oh, now what you meant to say is the CTX instead, has manual ground balance. Haha :thumbup:

trojdor said:
nagov said:

?????????

Cliff

nagov,

mike

I do understand!!!!

Duh...yes...Nolan, you are correct, sir.
Sometimes the fingers type faster than the brain. (especially today)

to clarify:
The CTX has manual ground balance. The e-Trac does not.
The e-Trac has ground difficult/normal. The CTX does not.

Thanks for catching that...good thing I don't work in bomb disposal.
"It's the red wire...no, wait - I meant the....'BOOM' "

:rolleyes:
mike

Quote How would you CTX experts set each of the above to achieve the least amount of filtering and hopefully the fastest operation of the CTX processor?
If you want a fast detector buy one deus , Here's the thing about the ctx it sends and receives signals at a rate of 2000 per second I don't think you will notice any difference in speed
if it's faster in fast or deep because it is still going to send those same 2000 signals a second regardless if your in fast or deep.
The only thing that changes is the quality of the signal ID if you whip it fast like the old 6000s whites you will loose signals and depth because it can't keep up ( processor speed ) But the reason why it's slower than fast machines is because it gives you more (information about the target ) Which is why you bought it in the first place .
So if you look at what minelab said about fast that it will clip signals well that right there tells me your not using the machine to it's full advantage receiving only some of the signal however I always use fast I work junk , the way to get a better signal in fast is to slow down your sweep speed let the processor catch up if your working heavy trash 12 to 15 hits a sweep there is no way to here them all and make a accurate picture of what you just went over . You get much better separation and ID by just going slower ( What"s the rush ) the coins are not going anywhere , Just remember the faster you go the more you leave for the next guy . So yes if you speed up the processor it will give you less accurate audio and ID but just by going slower it will give you what your looking for and why you bought this detector in the first place .
This machine as of now has the best ID and depth together out of all the rest . So if you want speed get a deus but don't expect it to be as accurate as the ctx .
As far as ctx experts is there one the only expert out there is the guy with the most hours behind it .LOL :thumbup: sube

sube said:
As far as ctx experts is there one the only expert out there is the guy with the most hours behind it .LOL :thumbup: sube

That's not true. A person who puts it in a stock mode and never changes or experiments, never truly learns the detector.

Guys, thank you all for your comments. Everyone of them is appreciated.

I do want to say again, that my intent is to understand how the CTX works enough to establish a 'baseline' of settings that removes the most filtering. From there I want to experiment with various filters/settings for myself, in my locations, and determine for myself what works best for me. What got me started thinking about this was watching someone on Youtube (was it you, JasoninEnid?) getting a strong clear signal in Combined but no signal at all in 50Conductive (I think it was). And I hunt in 50C.

I've been very productive (well, by my standards anyway) with the CTX but I want to squeeze the most out of it. I feel that I know it well enough that its time to do some experimenting and try some 'stupid' settings. 'Cause you just never know what is going to work at a given site on a given day. Whats that old saying..."If its Stupid and it works, its not Stupid".

Thanks for correcting me as I was going off the top of my head. I have bot the Etrac and a CTX only used the CTX one year so far the Etrac for several so far. Also have quite a few other common detectors so I tend to mix up once in a while on settings but meant well. Hope I helped some to someone.

Also try SOUNDS LONG in heavy trash as someone I think from Australia had videos of using it in the Etrac forum it made those good high tones J-U-M-P out at you on high coins like silver like they were shouting at you amongst all the other tone sounds you hear at the same time. I tried it a few times and did find a fairly deep hidden mercury dime amoungst a plethora of sounds using 50 conductive.

Maybe the difference in finding that target was that in COMBINED mode he set the FERROUS range lower like maybe 25-32 for that box and unless you made your own discrimination pattern with a FERROUS line set LOWER like maybe a blacked out pattern from 25-32 on the bottom of the screen to match his FERROUS ZONE SETTING in YOUR COMBINED MODE instead of the factory 12 FERROUS line set in the COINS pattern that could be why he gets a signal and you didn't in COMBINED MODE it may have been your DISCRIMINATION PATTERN used with that mode.

I guess that could have been it, Tom, but he said the only diff was the Combined v 50C. Wish I could rem who it was- it was someone who has a good rep.

The Combined vs 50 Condictive is just the amount of tones you'll hear. The Combined pattern uses a quite different setup (discrimination without making a blacked out pattern) than the stock COINS Discrimination which does have blacked out area pattern.

One would have to use the RELIC pattern to have very little discrimination and a mostly opened screen with just some blacked area out at the bottom of the screen in the lower FERROUS zone.

Combined your leaving the screen wide open then boxing off the lower section of the complete left to right of the screen with a low tone then setting 4-5 sections vertically across the screen on top of that for the different tones for the targets that fall into each box instead of 50 tones from left to right on the screen where the cursor lands.

Whatever targets fall into the blacked out area generally you will see the cursor but not hear any sound or maybe just some iron sounds, chirps etc.

In this case sounds 4 vs 50 and discrimination pattern in Conductive vs none or very very little in Combined 2 different things hence different results.

First I hunt in 50 conductive then I used to go back over the area in two tone ferrous with my Etrac and see what I missed.

Now with my CTX you can also go back yet again or skip TTF and instead go hunt in the Combined mode and see if there is still anything further that was missed.

Yeah, I know. That's what made it so bizarre.
Solid signal in combined, then change only to 50C and nothing. He may be scamming his viewers, but I didn't think so.