Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

How's traveling with your detector on Cruise ships?

tippyhound

Have read a few horror stories about cruise lines not letting you board with your metal detector. In one case I read about they forced them to leave the detector on the dock till they returned from their cruise. Man would that mess up a perfect vacation. Can anyone fill me in on what to expect with his problem or is there really such a problem?

Question to you: Since when does any cruise line search through your luggage items, before you board the ship? I mean ..... does someone riffle through your underwear, personal effects, etc.... (like in the fashion of airline travel nowadays)?

I think the "horror story" you read about, in some past post, was borne out of someone who asked "can I take my metal detector?" and got the old psychology of "no one cares ..... till you ask" phenomenom. Ie.: as if their detector were a loaded gun or something, that "needed permission".

Keep it packed out of sight, and don't "helpfully" blurt out, "I have a metal detector in my luggage, is that ok?"
I think some people equate metal detectors with terrorists, bombs, etc.
Just keep it out of sight, carry it in a golf bag or something when you come and go.
If you are questioned, raise hell, demand a reason you can't have your "toy" with you. Mention your brother, the lawyer, and your close personal friend in the dept of transportation. Bet the ship personnel would back off then!!
(I love to raise hell with Barney Fifes).

THE STORY I READ ABOUT WAS ON ONE OF THE OTHER FORUMS AND YOU ARE CORRECT HE DID NOT HAVE IT PACKED AWAY AND THEY WOULDN'T LET IT ON BOARD BECAUSE THEY CONSIDERED IT A SECURITY RISK. I CAN'T SEE HOW ANYONE CAN SEE A METAL DETECTOR AS A SECURITY RISK SINCE MOST PEOPLE THESE DAYS KNOW WHAT A METAL DETECTOR IS USED FOR AND THE GUY JUST WANTED TO DO A LITTLE DETECTING ON THE NICE WHITE SANDS OF WHERE HE WAS GOING.

I HAD A LITTLE TROUBLE BELIEVING THAT AS WELL AND THAT'S WHY I ASKED THE QUESTION ON THIS FORUM TO SEE IF ANY ONE ELSE HAD ANY SUCH PROBLEMS.

ANOTHER GUY RAN INTO A SIMILAR PROBLEM ON A DIFFERENT CRUISE LINE, BUT HE EXPLAINED WHAT HE USED IT FOR AND THEY GAVE HIM NO FURTHER PROBLEMS.

FROM WHAT I'VE READ EVEN AIRLINES AS TIGHT AS SECURITY IS ON THEM, AS LONG AS YOU HAVE IT IN A CARRY ON BAG YOU MAY ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS BUT THEY ARE LETTING THEM TAKE IT ABOARD AIRCRAFT.

I GUESS I'M JUST GETTING TIRED OF ALL THIS TERRORISM BS EFFECTING ALMOST EVER ASPECT OF OUR LIVES. MIGHT AS WELL GET USED TO IT I DON'T THINK IT'S GOING TO GET ANY BETTER.

Norwegian is the only cruise line that won't allow metal detectors. They did confiscate a guy's detector and kept it locked up until the ship returned to U.S. port. You can do a search and find it. I took mine on Carnival but that was a few years back. Ask before you book because once you leave the United States you are under maritime law meaning the captain of the ship is the law. Never had a problem with taking my detectors on planes. Just a Pistol Probe the lady said it looked like something that would scare passengers and her boss agreed with her so I had to leave it luckily I had time to put it in the car. I guess they thought I was going to take it out and play with it on the plane. Take your detector manual with you just in case. They will ask you what it is if they have never seen one before.

Thanks that's the cruise line I read about. Poor memory wouldn't let me remember the source of the story. Wife and I are talking a cruise to Alaska next summer, that's why I'm checking. Thanks Rick"IL"

First off, YES the cruise line DO search your bags the same way the airlines do. My father-in-law had his small diving knife (smaller than the ones they give you in the dining room!) confiscated from his luggage until the cruise was over.

Now, I have talked to plenty of people who have taken thier detector in thier luggage and never had a problem. Just like the posts above, keep your mouth shut and hope for the best because you have no recourse on the ocean.

I would believe it would be the same as when you go on a plane. My last experience, I think the airlines were only worried that I might use the cord to strangle someone. I found it odd, but it was ok, they did let me board the plane with it in my hand so that it was not being crushed in a bag. Then again, a cruise may have different rules - I've never been on one, so I wouldn't know.

Howdy ! I thought I would post my $.02 since I have taken my detector with me on vacations now and then. My wife and I are annual cruisers, usually with RCCL. I have flown with the detector, both in checked luggage and carry on. I get a lot of looks with the carry on from the TSA folks, so I always pack a detecting magazine and the White's / Minelab brochure inside with the detector and gear (I use a White's DI 6000 Pro / or a Minelab Sovereign). I will assemble the detector for them and show them what it is and how it works (at the airport). I have not had too many problems with the unit on the ship, but getting on & off in certain ports does raise a suspicion. I also check to be certain that I am allowed to detect at the islands we are visiting BEFORE we leave. Bermuda is one of my favorite spots, but do NOT try detecting at Horseshoe bay. That is a "National" beach and I was forewarned by the lifeguards on duty.
Bottom line... Do your homework BEFORE going on the cruise to be certain your in the clear with both the cruiseline and the destination. And invest in a good, hard shell carry case if you decide to put it in checked luggage. Happy Hunting! - JHinPA

Three Princess cruises and NO PROBLEMS. One Norweign and all $%%&%$^$# broke loose. They were going to confiscated it and only give me a part of it until I raised a fuss and finally by 8 PM, they decided to let me keep it. Told them I wasn't happy about them holding on to part of my $1,000.00 machine.

Good luck!

I went on Norwiegn all 3 times...no issues! I hunted with "BDA HUNTER" he is a resident of the island. You can hunt Horseshoe bay it is allowed but you must stay in the water...and they do not want you hunting while beach is active. If you follow these rules your fine..we hunted Tabacco bay also and a few other beaches.