Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Huge First For Me: Quarter Cut Spanish 8 Reales!

Sooper Dave

Between being so busy and all of the other craziness of this world, I have not been out digging in two months. I was long over due for some dirt therapy. So Thursday evening I saw an opportunity to drop everything and get in a swing or two. So I headed down the road with my youngest daughter to a spot I have been researching to be a possible Civil War camp. There was part of the old road that runs through the property, but it's long gone and grown over with grass. I started on a small rise in the field and found a flat button right away. I thought this was a good sign and dug a fired bullet next. I worked the area slowly and found another flat button and two pewter spoon bowls. It's now getting dark and the bugs are in full force when I got a nice quarter signal on my Etrac. I was expecting a clad quarter as I pinpointed the target pretty shallow in the plug. I busted into the clod and out pops a cut piece of something that I was sure hoping to be my first cut piece of Spanish silver. The excitement grew as I was getting enough light from the full moon to verify I had just dug a huge first. I high five my little girl as I told her that this was a special find for me, and she knows those kind of finds means a stop for ice cream on the way home so she was just as excited as me. After trying to get a good picture of it in the dark, I looked around for just a little bit more and found another smashed piece of lead and a very old padlock. The bugs were telling us to leave and I was ready to get home right after the stop for ice cream. It wasn't until after cleaning it up and comparing it to a half dollar and a silver dollar that I realized I had a quarter cut piece of an 8 Reales! I never thought I would dig one of these. I've only found one Real back eight years ago and these just don't come up often around here. I still don't know if I found part of the Civil War camp or an old home site. Either way I will be back to look around soon. HH Dave

aUucah2.jpg
9JJSNoj.jpg

bYVCy1a.jpg
yCXsaTK.jpg

WCp0NxR.jpg

Well...I can't match that. As my old (now deceased) brother-n-law would have said..."You done good"! Congrats...but leave some for the rest of us.

Very nice on the 1/4 Reale !!

Well...I can't match that. As my old (now deceased) brother-n-law would have said..."You done good"! Congrats...but leave some for the rest of us.
Thanks! I'm sure there's plenty left out there. The big concern around here is getting to it before it's covered up by development.

Dave, just for interest sake, can you mic the thickness of your 1/4 piece. I would be interested.

Dave, just for interest sake, can you mic the thickness of your 1/4 piece. I would be interested.
Sooper Dave, I "jumped the gun" and replied before I saw the last pic. of your cut 8. I have found smaller denominations that were cut but much thinner. Great find !

Last edited: