Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

"Hunted Out" Union camp nets keepers

ironman200081

I finally had the privilege to hunt the most-hunted CW site on private land in my area. Folks have been pounding this dirt since the late 1960's. It was a Union camp for the duration of the war, and there were two skirmishes nearby with Confederate regulars. The land owners are extremly nice, and let anyone detect. I was told by "old timers" that the site was hunted out in the 80's, and again in the 90's. Recently, a detectorist told me it was hunted out two years ago, and that the last bit of CW material had been found.

Well, I was undaunted, and suited up with the CTX and the big 13x17 coil. I hit the ground with two friends and managed to pull a respectable amount of relics. I found two .69 minies; four .69 round balls; a .44 Sharps pistol; and an odd .50 conical nose-poured bullet that I suspect is some type of early carbine. I also dug up a general services coat button, 2 cuff buttons that only had the shank and back remaining; some shots; a brass hook; harmonica part; and a TON of camp lead. One of my buddies pulled a .58 minie and a coat button, the other pulled some shot, a button, and a camp-made lead kepi letter. So much bor being "hunted out!" Just goes to show that even the hunted out sites still produce some keepers. Please enjoy the photo and video, and I would be interested to hear what you all think the .50 conical bullet may be. I will warn you in advance that I did not film the full hunt; my voice and phone battery failed after the first hour.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3QPRJurgC0&feature=share&list=UUu3zPHg-MGFmY70ZDo0II3A[/video]

That CTX is proving to be a very good Relic hunter, congrats.

Ironman take a picture of the bullet from the side and bottom and email it to me I will see if I can help. I can't tell from that angle what it is. Or post them here and I will check back

Good job. Love them buttons. I make my living on hunted out sites...... :drinking: Be sure and post a pic of the "odd" nose poured bullet. Good luck and enjoyed the post. cch

Here are some more photos of the mystery .50 cal, with a .58 minie for comparison.

Bryan,

Those are EXCELLENT FINDS... and from a "HUNTED OUT" site, too. I have a very, very close friend who is an MO attorney, but he doesn't have an interest in detecting. May I be your new "best friend?" :clapping:

Nice job of presenting your finds here, too.

Nestor,

Sure, we sould go hit the dirt some time!

Been scouting out Price's trail through Mid-MO and have been looking for sites. I like to scout in winter until the dirt gets hard; it is much easier to get permission and there is a lesser amount of cabbage on the ground.

Let me know if you travel to my neighborhood.