Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hunted Out???????

Depends on what machine I am swinging. With the CTX..... If I can't find a single wheat penny there, then the site is probably toast.

I consider wheat to be worthy of a "not hunted out" area. Where there are wheat signals there are thin silver dimes often times.

depends on what you mean by "hunted out". Do you mean literally every single signal whatsoever ? Or just to-the-point where it's no longer "worth it". Eg.: who in their right mind wants to work for 8 hrs, for a potential single wheatie or clad dime ? And do you mean like, not even foil, nails, pinheads, etc... ? Or just not any more old coins? Do you include nickels in that definition ? Do you include the potential for jewelry (which can read down as low as foil, as you know).

Define hunted out, and then the question can be answered :)

That's what I'm asking. You see so many people posting that say they went to a supposedly hunted out park and they found this item. I guess it would be up to the person searching. Just thought I would see what others think. If I am finding just clad I think I really am not finding what is at that site or what should be at the site if it is an old site.
Ray.

Hunted Out .......what is one man's perception... becomes another man's treasure. Meaning, what is perceived as being hunted out , another detectorist will go in at a different direction then you, swing-speed, soil moisture conditions, maybe a different detector (pulse induction) and find coins and silver ! I believe very few places are totally cleaned out.IMO

REMEMBER!!
there are many thing that make or brake a detector hunt. you are not going to find every thing in the PARK 4-what ever reason!

Tom_in_CA said:
depends on what you mean by "hunted out". Do you mean literally every single signal whatsoever ? Or just to-the-point where it's no longer "worth it". Eg.: who in their right mind wants to work for 8 hrs, for a potential single wheatie or clad dime ? And do you mean like, not even foil, nails, pinheads, etc... ? Or just not any more old coins? Do you include nickels in that definition ? Do you include the potential for jewelry (which can read down as low as foil, as you know).

No. Yes. No. Yes. Yes. No.

THAT IS RITE MR MILBURINO

ok so there is not alot of things left to fnd, but maybe 1 GOOD ONE?? if there is some trees there ,beets swinging in the sun!

Is it that Bob that there are not a lot of things to find or that you would have to take the top 5in of soil off to reach them in some areas.

Back a week or two ago I posted a message on a similar topic about taking "hunted out" out of the lexicon. At some point you reach the point of diminishing returns. My example was: how many hours do you want to spend to find one 1958D wheat? Well, last Saturday I went out to a park that I've been hunting for a couple of years where the quantity and quality of finds has really fallen off (not even a wheat on some days). So what was my first find in this hunted out park? A 1958D wheat of course! The day wasn't a total loss; I also found a 1955D wheat and a 1946 Roosevelt dime. The dime was in a spot that I've gone over several times (next to a big tree) and it didn't give a real strong signal, but was only about 3" deep. The point is - no one ever finds all the coins, but you have to decide when it's just not worth your time and effort.

I GUESS
you must go with your gut feeling. i have a park were i hunt along with a few other guys & gals. now it is 5+acres in the beginning
finds were plentiful, now it is slim pic kins!! why do i stay hunting there you mite say! well every year for the pass 3+years i find silver.
so it seems that this place is not as bad as i think. now i dig allot of pull tab looking 4 gold rings. now and then i get a iffy and dig out
early wheat but the place is nothing like it was years ago.4 me just being out with my detector is pure enjoyment not finding many coins
does not bother me all that much. as i have found hundreds of coins over the pass 30+ years of detecting. yes i go to different places
and if there is a new spot to go i go! so to end this descussion again i will say YOUR GUT FEELING!!!!!! will tell you wen to move on.

bob

Hunted out is an expression we are hearing more and more lately. Most people are unaware that the public's interest in metal detecting has sky rocketed. And, there are hundreds more people hunting today than there were several years ago.

Example: One of our cities here in Wisconsin requires that you get a metal detector permit to hunt in the local parks. To get a permit, you go to city hall, spend a couple of dollars, and get your name added to a list of people who have permits. A couple of years ago, I went to city hall, got a permit, and went to the local parks to hunt. At the time I got my permit, I noticed that my name was number 107 on the list of permit holders. I'm not kidding! 106 people had gotten permits before I did. And, my name was number 107. When I went to the local parks to hunt, their parks were so swept out, I couldn't hardly find a pop tab.

WE NEED TO RENAME
HUNTED OUT TO SLIMPICKENS well we need to move on til gut feeling says give it a try and yes i do agree if you cant
find anything it time to say byby and look 4 greaner pastures

bob

I actually picked the term up from someone that took the time to introduce himself to me while I was out one day at the park in my very small home town. While the guy appears to have had ulterior motives for doing so he couldn't have been more wrong. I have pulled ten Merc's out so far this year and a boat load of Wheats among several other finds and several dollars in clad. I will give him and his buddies credit for one thing. I have not hit any silver other than the Merc's but there has to be some I just gotta find it.

Sometimes you go where they tell you to go. Some time back I was hunting a park and had two other guys show up with their detectors. After they detected for a while they came over and talked with me. They told me a man who lived around the park had told them he had found a Mercury dime laying on top of the ground near a tree they pointed out. They kind of acted like they thought the guy was just making it up to see if they would go over and check out the spot. Apparently they didn't. After they left I went over to the tree they pointed out and found a Mercury and a Roosevelt dime. Sometimes following tips pays off.