Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hunting a pounded pathway with the X-5

cz70pro

Got out yesterday after we finally got some good rain storms. It was nice to finally dig in moist soil! I have been wanting to try one spot in particular ever since I got my X-5 coil. It is a 90 year old pathway that used to go from the old high school high up on the hill above downtown. Back in the day there was no way to easily get downtown from the school because it sat on a very steep hill. Back in the 1920's they put in a pathway down the side of the hill. It was heavily used until they eventually tore the school down and moved it to another location. The other day I noticed that the city had finally cut all the vegetation back from the sides of the walk so I grabbed the E-Trac and X-5 and headed out.

I have hunted this pathway four times in the past with a CZ70Pro with the 8" and 10 1/2" coils. The last time, I only came away with a WWII coat button and a Jefferson nickel. I have found one Merc, one 1953 Washington quarter, an IHP, a silver war nickel and some wheats in the past along the path. There is only about 2-3 feet on each side of the pathway that can be hunted. I started hunting with the X-5 and got about 2/3 of the way down the path with just a few good signals that turned out to be a couple Lincolns and a few pull tabs. I then got a very brief but crisp 12-45 signal and dug a 1951 Rosie at 5 inches. Right next to it I dug a 1946 Jefferson. Got to the bottom of the path and started back up on the other side. As I headed up I dug three wheats and then got a very nice 19-45 signal. Four inches down between two large roots and sitting on it's side, I found a 1942 Mercury dime! In total I ended up finding a total of 15 coins and several "good" trash signals. Definitely a pleasant surprise as I wasn't really expecting to find anything on that path. Love hunting with this small coil!

One other thing I wanted to mention is that, unfortunately, this path is primarily used by druggies now due to it's seclusion in the woods above town. Halfway down the path I found a metal crack pipe (in case you are wondering it rang up as a 12-43) :). Just want to stress how important it is nowadays to wear gloves while you are hunting. Last year I found a needle and syringe in a plug while digging in a town park. Stay safe and happy hunting!

I always watch your adventures with the X-5 CZ...this is an expected result as well. Many guys use different coils for different reasons but the one thing you are doing on a consistent basis is....putting yourself in an area where what you are after would be. It's a fun thing to use the tiny coil,supernatural separation. The precision...the weightlessness....targets actually being there...it even puts a smile on MY face! Well done...

Nice finds! What sits where the old high school use to be? Hopefully you could get permission? :)

earthlypotluck said:
Nice finds! What sits where the old high school use to be? Hopefully you could get permission? :)

A modern convalescent center and parking lot sits where it once stood. Everything has been moved around, built on or paved over.

Hey CZ,

Way to go! I love when thinking outside the box pays off.

Nice hunt

diggervance said:
Hey CZ,

Way to go! I love when thinking outside the box pays off.

Nice hunt

Thanks DV. Appreciate it. Can't wait until the weather turns cold so I can take the X-5 to my Civil War sites out in the woods.

Often a smaller coil makes teh difference - gets in tight areas and in fact can run at higher sensitivity levels due to seeing less ground and of course, separation,

I'd give it a shot when the ground gets a little more water and see what else turns up

Andy

Nice Finds CZ! I have used the X-5 a lot at fairgrounds over the years and it is a great coil and has great depth for its size.
it really helps isolates the signals.

Andy Sabisch said:
Often a smaller coil makes teh difference - gets in tight areas and in fact can run at higher sensitivity levels due to seeing less ground and of course, separation,

I'd give it a shot when the ground gets a little more water and see what else turns up

Andy

Yep, it was running at 27 in Auto +3. I will probably try that spot again later this fall.

floodplaindetector said:
Nice Finds CZ! I have used the X-5 a lot at fairgrounds over the years and it is a great coil and has great depth for its size.
it really helps isolates the signals.

Thanks FPD. I love using it in these heavy trash areas as well as the iron infested areas. It's like a laser pointer picking out the good signals. Feels like shooting fish in a barrel at times.

Ahh Now I see your dilemma :cry: