Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hunting for gold in parks....

What are your preferred settings for finding gold while primarily looking for old coins?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm hunting in Park2 with 5 tone setting.

Funny you should ask, I just found some yesterday....actually my first gold ever with the Nox.

I use 50 tones here and there but mostly 5 tones.
Here in Birmingham Al. with mineralized red clay and massive trash and iron problems I have found Field 2 works a little better than the Park settings but different dirt may call for the Park settings instead so if Park is better for you, fine.

I use a version of DirtFishings settings in this vid...

Section 1 iron....-9-2 the the tones are set at 1 with low volume at 1...I don't hunt with the horseshoe on a lot but sometimes I do and I want to hear all iron but in low volume so it doesn't mentally fatigue me.
1 and 2 on the dial could be tiny gold or even a thin gold or silver chain but for now I choose to ignore them, however that might change one day.

Section 2 foil....3-10 my tones are set to 10 but I might raise that up a bit going forward I up the volume to 15 so I can hear them...I have found lots of gold in the foil area so I want a shot at recognizing them if I roll over them but there is so much junk foil out there again, it can be mentally fatigueing listening to it for long times at higher volume.

Section 3 is nickels at 11-13 with tones set to 25 and volume set to 25 also because nickel gold is usually bigger than foil gold and I want my best shot at that range because I have found an awful lot of gold at nickels.
Also I love finding V's, buffs, modern nickels and maybe someday a shield nickel if I am lucky and I have dug many nickels at 11-14 in the past and even some weird ones higher than that because my iron infested soil can up-average sometimes.
High tones I notice the most, I think most of us do, so this section is upfront and loud just in case lightning strikes in one of the more common gold regions.

Section 4 tabs and higher....14-18 with tones set to 11 with the volume at 18 and this is for a specific reason.
I have tons of tabs that come in at nickel numbers and of course up into the tab section but I found nickels are usually very stable and usually land on 13, (but not always), where tabs can be a bit jumpier...many tabs are also super stable but thank God the bulk of them jump a little.
I have found around here if I get a 13 and with coil movements a jump to 14 even once so far it has always been a tab.
This might not hold true forever but so far it has and just by listening if I hear a high loud tone in nickels and it jumps to 14 I can not only see it in the screen but it is very noticeable jumping back and forth between the the higher and lower tone.
I dug a ton of tabs learning this and now if I see this behavior I usually pass this by with a pretty high confidence level.
I might be passing up something good but I have to draw my line in the sand somewhere.

Section 5 is 19 and up on volume 25...The good stuff like Indians and all silver coins except war nickels.
I think I will lower that down to 18 because my dirt is weird and I might notice and capture a few more Indians that way.

The Nox hits unusually hard on nickels and it is usually super stable unlike all other detectors I have used where nickels are the iffiest coins out of all of them.
Also I have dug about 3 dozen gold targets with 3 other detectors and every signal has been in your face solid and stable.
Because of these things I hoped when I ran over my first gold with this thing it would also be super solid, stable and noticeable so my settings are set to highlight that precious metal.
Yesterday it all worked as planned with a loud high tone that was a 12 from all directions and solid as a block of granite.
Love it when a plan comes together like that.
You can tweak to suit your needs because we are all different but whatever settings you use the goal is to highlight the gold sections as much as possible so if you are lucky enough to come across some you will notice it and be urged to dig it.
I dig ALL solid signals no matter what and always have because I have been a dedicated jewelry hunter for most of my career so any relief I can get when scanning and avoiding trash is important to me....I only have so much time and energy to hunt.

BTW....these settings seem to find all coins extremely well, also....real well.

Attachments

• Gol.jpg
    Gol.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited: