Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hunting in sand

I have a quick question about hunting in the sand. I was wondering if I need to put on the beach setting for hunting in sand on freshwater not near salt water. also should I use assault beach setting or just my normal coin and jewelry settings. any advice would be helpful thanks.

If you are not at a salt beach there is no need to run salt compensate. When in salt compensate VLF detectors eliminate the low foil range which is where salt registers. This also makes the detectors blind to small gold that also registers in this range. Even at salt beaches, if you can run without salt compensate in the dry sand, do it.

thank you so much that will really help I will post my fines when I get back later tonight if I have anything worth showing thank you

What effects show up it you are having salt interference?
The reason I ask it because we hunt an area that the river water is alkali/salty that deposited the sand bars we hunt.

You will likely get some false targets and chatter in the 0 to +10 range. Try the Salt Comp for stability, it sure will not hurt anything except you will lose the ability to detect very small gold/platinum/small foil targets in the rejected area.

yes I ended up having a lot of problems with falseing and being extremely chatterie so I did end up switching to salt comp. I did find one mens silver band I will try to get pictures later. I also found about four to five dollars in clad and about 60 beer caps. all and all the day was well worth it. I don't know if my sand is salty it is along the Columbia River in Portland Or. which is fresh water but I did have a lot of problems does anyone know a good program I might be able to use?

I am still exploring how to spot these problems using Ground Probe. I would expect the VDIs to be pushed more toward zero (less negative) if salt is involved. For example Normal -94 soil would be in the -80s if salty. Tell me if I am way off base.

It sounds like Salt Beach might be the program for you.

Explorer said:
I am still exploring how to spot these problems using Ground Probe. I would expect the VDIs to be pushed more toward zero (less negative) if salt is involved. For example Normal -94 soil would be in the -80s if salty. Tell me if I am way off base.

You are not off base but when you have to switch to salt compensate I cannot give you a specfic number. You have to see by trying which works best for you. In the 80's try salt soil first. If this isn't enough use salt compensate. Again I don't know if people have a VX3 or V3i when I give advice.

It is a V3i and I am just trying to learn all the new added capabilities.

I think you have to use salt compensate. I tried to use the beach preset in several occasions but it was falsing a lot. I use the coin and jewelery preset with salt compensate and tx boost on. It's a coin killer and not only. Bottle cups are giving vdis from 70s to 80s even higher but then they drop to the negative scale. So BCR OFF. I dig all the aluminum bottle cups. If you have a surface target and you have an overload raise a bit the coil to trigger the discrimination and see what it is and then you decide if you want to dig. Overload could happen but I prefer it instead to loose a deep coin.

G.papa.findsalot said:
yes I ended up having a lot of problems with falseing and being extremely chatterie so I did end up switching to salt comp. I did find one mens silver band I will try to get pictures later. I also found about four to five dollars in clad and about 60 beer caps. all and all the day was well worth it. I don't know if my sand is salty it is along the Columbia River in Portland Or. which is fresh water but I did have a lot of problems does anyone know a good program I might be able to use?

You are dealing with some mean mineralization and black sand up there. Keep that in consederation with those adjustments.

I'm not to sure about the high mineralization, all the ground away from the river is not at all bad.I do not really see much black sand. I have done a little fiddling with my programs and doing good now but not getting great depth but still picking up small items