Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hunting like the old days

I am new to the Equanox 600. My problem is I am used to running a Fisher 1265. Turn up the discrimination for your hunting area and hunt. Every thing that sounds good DIG. With the 600 and 50 tones after a while my brain hurts. After even 5 tones it's just too much. What would I be missing with only 2 tones? Set it up to get nickles. Skip zinc pennys and detect Indian Head pennys. And all silver. Am I waisting my time because I have scrap books full of coins from the Fisher.

Your not going to miss anything with two tones. Your just gonna have less in your ears for different tones. You can’t tell what a target is based on the tone anyway. You just need to know that there’s a positive target there. I actually hunt my Nox close to what you’re suggesting. I have my unit set to 5 tones but I have adjusted it so that there are only three tones. Grunt, middle and high tones. You will still get all the target nuances of sounds but they will only come at you based on the tones you have set. You will be fine.
Get out there

Hopefully somebody would validate my assumption that has more time on the 600 than me. After all 68 year o!d ears are not very sharp. My Grandpa used to say if he thought he would live this long he would have taken more care of his body. Thank you so much for your responce.

Stick & a pie pan: said:
I am new to the Equanox 600. My problem is I am used to running a Fisher 1265. Turn up the discrimination for your hunting area and hunt. Every thing that sounds good DIG. With the 600 and 50 tones after a while my brain hurts. After even 5 tones it's just too much. What would I be missing with only 2 tones? Set it up to get nickles. Skip zinc pennys and detect Indian Head pennys. And all silver. Am I waisting my time because I have scrap books full of coins from the Fisher.
I'll be 71 a month from today, and remember those 'early days' quite well. I got started in this great sport 17 years before the first Fisher 1260 was introduced, and while the 1200's were not great at rejecting Iron Nails and similar problem Iron trash, they did a very good job on nonferrous targets. A lot of those early-era detectors made very good Coin Hunting models, but those were the earlier days when the coins were plentiful. By the mid-'90s and on to the present, most of those popular hunting locations had been well worked and thinned out. Not as much human-use activity to generate frequent coin loss, but we have seen a lot of build-up of discarded trash to challenge our patience.

Usually, I do not reject the modern Zinc Cents because most Indian Head and early-era Wheat-Back Cents from 1909 to about 1920 also have a similar conductivity level.

On an Equinox I liked both the 2-Tone and 5-Tone functions, and my two Vanquish 540's only offer 5-Tone audio. I find it quite pleasant and functional. On my other detectors they offer, and I use, either a 3-Tone or 2-Tone audio based on the type of site I am searching. You are not "wasting your time" using either a 2-Tone or 5-Tone mode, but you do have to accept the reality that we just are not going to make the quantity of 'good-target' recoveries like we did in that long-ago era.

Monte

Agreed Todd Pie Pan won't lose any performance as number of tones is basically a personal choice. I like 5 myself it gives just the right amount of information.
HH Jeff