Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hunting South Louisiana

kajunman

Living in Houston, Texas, I don't get the opportunity to hunt my home state very often. Last weekend though, was a dream hunt for me. I was afforded the opportunity to hunt two plantation homes and a CW battleground in south Louisiana. Many bucket listers for me on these hunts. My first 1800's coin. My first large cent. First silver spoon and most importantly for me, my first three ring bullet. It was three days of fantasy land.

The British 2 pence and large cent were found at plantation number 1. The silver spoon was found at plantation number 2. Both plantation homes had a significant role in the CW. For obvious reasons, I won't give the locations. Hunting the CW battleground was a very somber experience for me. The last pic is what I found on the battleground which is now mostly cane fields. The finds may not mean much to you but these are my very first CW finds. I have found 29 gold rings and 20 silver rings, along with gold necklaces and bracelets. None of that will ever compare with digging my first three ring bullet.
2 pence front.jpg
2 pence back.jpg
large cent 1.jpg
large cent 3.jpg
large cent 2.jpg

plantation 1.jpg
plantation 2.jpg
CW battle ground.jpg

Kajunman, Congrat's to you on some nice Saved CW History. All nice saves. You will never forget the find of your first lead bullet from the War of Northern Aggression. The knapsack I hook is a nice find too. Well Done. These will show well in your display.
Thank you, sir. Won't lie, I was excited when I dug the knapsack hook. First time I ever held one in my hand. I have to get me a few shadow boxes now.

edit; By chance would you happen to know what that hand looking thing is next to the broken stirrup ?

Kajunman ,I'm sorry that I can't help with the I'D of this piecd. I noticed this too, but I'm unfamiliar with this. Cool looking though. Hopefully someone will see it and help you out with the ID. Yes sir, you will be busy filling your boxes. I don't know if you'd be interested in doing this, but I keep my better relics catalogued as to when and where they were found and any interesting story that could go along with a certain artifact as to a description of the artifact as to what it was, what it may have been used for, or by what army CS or US. I have compiled a catalogue with box numbers, and a description of the artifact in each box. I can thumb through my catalogue and relive finding most of the relics I have., many from the 80's. Just a thought to throw out there. Also, you can display a lot of your finds that came from the same area in the same display with a story behind them such as if these were found from a battlefield or skirmish site, or a camp. Let your imagination guide you, and you will have a record to enjoy for years to come. Now go till those displays up.

Nice bunch of history. Wouldn't you like to spend a week or so on each of those sites? HH Jim tn
Here's the story, Jim. I have a cousin who was interested in detecting for 3 years but he never pulled the trigger on a purchase. He would just look at my pics on FB and ask me questions. Well about a week before Christmas he decided to go all in and bought a Nox 800. This is where it gets good. I dig a lot of jewelry because we don't have CW sites or plantations in Houston. We do live close to beaches though. I mentioned to him he should inquire about permission on the various plantations around him. Well, he asked on 2 plantations and was granted permission on both. He lives about 20 minutes from one plantation and about 25 from the other.

So he starts detecting those sites and sends me pics of things he's found. He dug (in his words) this lamp thingy. That lamp thingy turned out to be a rare CW stirrup. Unbroken. It's beautiful. Then he sends me pics of V nickels and shield nickels asking me what they are. Then he sends me a pic of a seated dime asking "what's this", lol. Then a pic of a large cent followed by the same question. He has permission to hunt whenever he wants. So in his first three months he's pulling all of these great finds and I'm drooling. I go to visit him as he had already asked if it was ok if he brought a visitor. I'm much more of a relic guy as opposed to a jewelry guy. He brought me and the pics show the results. Best three days hunting of my detecting life. It's crazy how fortunate he is. Not only that, the owner of one of the plantations is the mother to the owner of another plantation that he hasn't even pursued yet.

I really wish I could move back home.

Congratulations on some fantastic finds! Sounds like a hunt of a lifetime...

Here's the story, Jim. I have a cousin who was interested in detecting for 3 years but he never pulled the trigger on a purchase. He would just look at my pics on FB and ask me questions. Well about a week before Christmas he decided to go all in and bought a Nox 800. This is where it gets good. I dig a lot of jewelry because we don't have CW sites or plantations in Houston. We do live close to beaches though. I mentioned to him he should inquire about permission on the various plantations around him. Well, he asked on 2 plantations and was granted permission on both. He lives about 20 minutes from one plantation and about 25 from the other.

So he starts detecting those sites and sends me pics of things he's found. He dug (in his words) this lamp thingy. That lamp thingy turned out to be a rare CW stirrup. Unbroken. It's beautiful. Then he sends me pics of V nickels and shield nickels asking me what they are. Then he sends me a pic of a seated dime asking "what's this", lol. Then a pic of a large cent followed by the same question. He has permission to hunt whenever he wants. So in his first three months he's pulling all of these great finds and I'm drooling. I go to visit him as he had already asked if it was ok if he brought a visitor. I'm much more of a relic guy as opposed to a jewelry guy. He brought me and the pics show the results. Best three days hunting of my detecting life. It's crazy how fortunate he is. Not only that, the owner of one of the plantations is the mother to the owner of another plantation that he hasn't even pursued yet.

I really wish I could move back home.
You'll just have to be more of a Frequent Visitor with permissions and great Saved Relics such as these.