Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hunting yards in dry conditions

I've hunted a ton of yards this year and have done very well but now that the ground is getting pretty dry I am hesitant about digging in someones yard. When the soil is moist the horseshoe shaped plug goes down just the way it came up but when it is dry I get the feeling if someone mows it shortly after it may just pull the plug back up. Am I being too cautious?

Robert,

You are doing the right thing. If the ground is moist the digging is easier and a half/horseshoe plug packs down well and the grass almost never dies. In dry conditions the sod is more brittle and likely to break and leave a dead spot even after the next rain. I rely a lot on word of mouth for people to give me permission to do their yards, so I want to be careful not to cause damage to anyone's lawn.

Better to wait for rain than ruin you detecting cred. Plus I always find way more coins in moister conditions.

Chris

I totally agree, and am glad you bring this up so others can perhaps understand about the importance of extreme respect for lawns. You are correct thinking that digging dry soil will possibly or likely cause damage to a well manicured lawn. I always wait for a good soaking rain and moister soil before digging on a private lawn, even if the wait can be a month or more in a drought season. I have received permission to hunt some very nice historical private properties and I believe that my reputation for neatness and respect for the property helps me gain access to more of these places. Not only is it better for the sod, but it maximizes your hunting time because you will be getting more depth in the moist soil than you would when the soil is dry. Find em' deep!!

I have to agree with the above posts. You do take a chance in hot, dry, humid weather of leaving a brown spot. I have heard of people taking water bottles and watering the plug when done retrieving their target but it seems like that would be a lot of work. I think creating a game plan and hunting fields, woods, abandoned houses or maybe beaches when its hot might be better. Good luck and HH.