Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Hypocritical Oaf

cwilk

Are you tired of my stories yet? OK then.

Story 1. I got booted from the second site I went to. I will try to be succinct. I had the permission from a town official to treasure hunt in a park but the guy who gave it to me was fired awhile ago. So when I was asked today if I had permission to be there, and I said yes, and told the worker who had given me the go ahead, I was asked to stop detecting, which I did. Got it? The guy was nice, a bit condescending, and his dog was pretty cool. This is important. I put my gear in the car and sat on a bench having a drink and plotting out where I was going to go next when he drove up again. He asked me when I was leaving. I asked if he was kicking me out, and he said no, but that he wanted to be sure I didn't start doing it again. I told him not to worry and laughed, but he just sat there watching me. I was annoyed. As you enter this park there is a large sign with two park rules. ABSOLUTELY NO DOGS. NO TOBACCO USE. I pointed at his dog and then I pointed at the sign. He got upset with me and said his dog goes everywhere with him and besides everybody loves his dog. I replied that I don't love your dog. It offends me that he's here, and that he's unleashed, despite the park rules. He said well the kids love him. I thought for a second and replied that I had NEVER met a kid who didn't love treasure hunting even more than dogs. Could I continue detecting? I was joking but he didn't get it. I enjoyed arguing with the guy, who was a hypocrite. It's not a great site and I only stopped in because nobody was there which is rare.

Story 2 happened at site 3. That big NRA token had me fooled into thinking it was a silver dollar for about two minutes. Reeded edge. Eagle on it. Size. Weight. A real let down when I poured some water on it.

Same old loot for me as you can see. One of the wheats is from the 20s and was deep. Still no 90% silver though I was at the right kind of place.

Chris

Chris, I heard a good description recently of guys like that. They're called "Funsuckers" and that's what they like to do, suck the fun out of everything. I like Tom from California's advice: smile, say thank you, leave, then come back later when that fun-sucking SOB ain't there.
HH, mac

That's what I've always done. Mostly anyway. It was a mistake to go there on a weekday, I guess. Had I waitied until tomorrow he would not have been there. I still couldn't get over that he was breaking one of the two posted park rules so flagrantly.

So it was some random guy? I would have told him to buzz off. If theres one thing I have learned while doing customer service is that when you know you are right and someone tries to bully you into doing something that is not correct, u can beat them to death with intelligence, which you did:clapping:. Nice story Cwilk. HH and GL

There are some real bone-heads out there; It would have been interesting what would have happened if you had brought out a camera and snapped a picture of this guy with his unleashed dog.? On the other hand, you got some great finds, and had fun! :)

Too bad this guy spoiled your dirt fishing, but like John said; you have some good finds. I would call the parks and recreation department and talk to the people there.

always one bad in egg in the dozen , I had 1 negative run in with a guy cutting grass , he was arrogant as they all are , and I was very respectful through the entire conversation , needless to say when he told me to leave , I pointed to the rules and regulations and also told him I had been to the town hall . He didnt care , so I told him to call his boss and ask what the rules were , and I said either its a no dig policy or I can not be here , which neither was posted or in effect truth , he called his boss and got the reply a no dig policy , just surface scanning , so I steped back and said I have no desire to be here , but you should be considerate and know what your talking about , and maybe focus on cutting the grtass which all you get paid to do and smiled . best thing to do is kill people with kindness like him , do some charity work for the town or residents and sit on that bench and wait for him :angel:

Was hunting a well to do park one time. Two well kept gals came by walking dogs. Noticed one dog cut loose a bomb. Lady cleaned it up. When they got to me, one asked if I was picking up dirty coins? Not very nicely either. So I said, Some pick up dirty coins, some pick up dog do-do. And away she flew. Her friend laughed, said, got her, didn't you!

Must be something in the city water supply making people act up like some of them do. Bless their heart.

Sadly, the real lesson is to go when the guys aren't cutting the grass. I used to bribe them with pop, or beer. "Let's go have a cold drink and talk this over." That works sometimes.

Chris

I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago whilst I was looking for a very valuable French barons family ring lost on the beach. I had been down two days with a total of 10 hours but no ring.
As I was walking back to the car a man started talking to me asking what I had found, I said only a few £1 and £2 and some change, he then started off. The money is not yours and you have no right to it, I replied that anyone could come down and find it themself, he then got quite nasty and said, you should be careful who you talk too but he started to talk to me.
I got the impression that he was a jumped up copper, I would love to find out where he is based and when I next find 150 coins in a day I would take them in and say that I wanted them logged individually, that would please them no end

So funny. I have been asked that too. Are you going to return the money? I guess if somebody could identify the 1972 dime I found buried six inches down, three feet to the right of where the big oak tree used to be, then I'd return it.

Chris

The money found is usually donated to Help for Heroes by my wife when she is in town shopping as they can be found in the local supermarket at times.