Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I’m going BACKWARD with my 800! SOS!

IDXMonster

I have never used anything but Park 1, always noise cancel, then Auto GB by accepting everything and finding a clean/clean-ish piece of ground and pumping the coil till it settles on a number...usually anywhere from 15-55. I’m always looking for deeper and older coins ONLY so I hate to limit the Sensitivity, normally keeping it between 18-22. Volume Gain is 25 in my 5 tone high bin, the lower stuff I keep low toned and low individual volumes. Main volume usually 20-22....I cannot find SH*T!! Can someone point me to a video or ten that shows successful deep coin hunting in a park, school or fairground environment? I’m talking coins that are 7”+, shallower than that does me no good anywhere I hunt. I only have the stock coil, but it is fairly rare(5-10% of targets) that the depth meter ever goes to 4 shovels deep, which is obviously 8”. EVERYTHING seems to indicate 3 shovels, but then it’s really 4-5” deep and always clad. I had a bit of success with it last fall but it’s gone straight in the tank. WHAT do I need to do to achieve depth with this thing?? If I just crank the sensitivity to the level of instability, it just lights up anything and everything, it’s completely incoherent. Its become just a bunch of high squeaks and essentially unintelligible noise, which inevitably leads to absolutely nothing productive. Please help me see what others are apparently seeing! Are ALL of my sites just that smoked?

I also would add that I’ve used Recovery at 7 and as low as 3....results seem to be about the same. Sweep speed is generally 3 feet per second or slightly slower if trashy and I’m using a higher Recovery speed.

Are all my sites just that smoked .I think you answered your own? . Your just to good with your ctx lot of people have the ctx most think they know how to use it very few really know how to read it right .I have had poor success where I have hunted with the ctx . 2 guys with 2 nox 6 hours fairground I have pounded for 4 to 5 years with the ctx 3 wheat pennys and a merc 12 hours total is this site smoked you bet .

Areas where I have not looked better results with the nox . Deep silver the ctx trash pits I will use the nox but well not dig nickels or indians impossible to many like targets trash I have better things to do than dig trash .
Now as to deep coins with the nox I have dug 3 a barber dime and 2 wheats all 9 plus deep .

The sound is not what you think it's like iron a flat monotone no ramping up or down like a coin but it is a series of high tones like 20 a shrill type sound where you go over and hear 20 high tones in a row hard to explain but not like a coin that ramps up and down also ID will dis[play 21 to 38 or 28 to 38 those #s stay consistent one way 28 the other 38 .

Next time your out locate a deep coin with the ctx then listen to it with the nox that sound you hear will be set in stone between your ears it's hard to explain but very easy to hear . Deep targets you should switch to recovery 1 to hear all you can makes the signal easier to understand user button .

Just read your other post get that F2 it's great compared to the F1 I hardy have problems with iron . I run F2 0 always recovery 5 or 6 Sube

Last edited:
I am going to download the update now...I’ve gotta run up there so you can show me how to run this thing properly! Thanks Sube!

Download complete! I will go test this weekend and play with it to see if I can get the falsing and iron to settle down while obtaining SOME depth. I will report back....

I run my recovery rate at 2 because the hire recovery rate the less depth you get. That’s in the manual.
you can’t find anything, yep that’s right. You have to have something under the coil.
I switch to Park 2 today and I am learning it because of the higher tone it gives on jewelry and coins and also runs at 50 tones.
Doug

This may sound strange, but I would try Park 2 or Field 2. From my experience they are slightly better for deeper coin sized targets. Park 2 is what I use for multi tone gold prospecting when I want to double check a target I found in Gold 1 or Gold 2. I use Park 2 for coin and jewelry a lot since it utilizes higher frequencies and low ones too that at least in my dirt give it a bit more punch even on small/deep high conductors. I have found 8"+ quality coin sized targets in Park 1, but I have found a whole lot more in Park 2. So, I use Park 1 to clear out the first 5 to 7" of a site at 16 to 20 sensitivity and then crank it up to 20 or more in Park 2 or Field 2 to go really deep. I have found 12 to 13" clad, mercury dimes, wheats, seated dimes, Indian heads, buffalo and V nickels in Park 2 and Field 2. Like others have said, say in 5 tones, the high conductor coins are going to jump a bit from like 20 to 38 depending on depth and the presence of iron. If I get bland, short, quiet, two directional hits with jumpy high conductor numbers with higher tones that are not fractured and are free of static, I'm digging. Those tones do not have hard edges like shallower coins. They are not whispers or super short, they are more like high pitched sighs........ If you have ground balanced well they will have much shorter pinpoint tones which are lower in pitch and again have a sighing, airy quality. For low to mid conductors like a V nickel the target ID, even at 12" will still be almost rock solid but a bit more spread out like 10 to 14 but the medium low tone will be there plain as day, just not loud and percussive like a shallower nickel. When I am hunting for the deep stuff or tiny stuff, I leave Park 2 or Field 2 in their default discrimination patterns for the most part and use the threshold tone to signal the presence of iron. I don't want to hear even low volume iron responses while I'm trying to hear the deep coin and jewelry responses. The threshold just lets me know there is something there when it nulls without wearing my ears out. I do still use the horseshoe button to check for iron on any target that sounds promising since many of the areas I hunt in are screwdriver/coin popping only sites with no shovels allowed. Coin popping a 12" rusty nail gets annoying so I won't dig unless the chances are good for a coin/jewelry target.

For me, Calabash has some excellent vids on deep targets with the Nox 800. I'm from the South big time and know lots of guys like him, but even I have to ignore all of his bravado and opinions and just listen to the sounds the Nox makes on his deep gold and silver targets while paying close attention to the numbers.

Jeff

Last edited:
Great info guys, thanks much!
Jeff...thanks for the detail, I’ll try some of this out and report results!

Don't take me wrong on this guys. I hunt with a couple of guys, one with a CTX, the other a Nox 600. Both have really good results on a southern beach we meet at every winter. Mr. Nox only fiddles with the sensitivity, around the wet sand. Does pretty good. Couple of us other guys , do pretty good with other brands also.
None of us go out and seek the older coins. So what we just don't understand is when we read something like Idx's opening question. Just seems like trying g to crack a safe to squeeze the best out of these machines. Than if everything is right and you come up zip, the doubt creeps in. It's a huge challenge hunting for old Silver and relics. Not for everyone. They just don't replenish. In the end, it's the site, the hunter than the machine. A personal example is 15 years ago or so I found more coins and Jewelry with a Ace 250 than with my two present world beaters. I have a analog that is way above that Ace and we have to struggle to scrape up a few bucks. Again it's the site. If it's ( Smoked ) well time to get back to research. Of course nothing above is written in stone. And again please don't take me as bashing. Just hunt for different stuff. Good luck to all you guys.

You’re absolutely right Dancer, you couldn’t BE more right. However, the “safe” I’m trying to crack is this....I have heard more people say that they have taken their EQX to their “empty site” and immediately started having all kinds of success than I can count. What I’m trying to do is to make sure that I can either verify the claims or write them off(in my specific case). In order to do that I have to make sure my setup is correct, or at least I have to have confidence that the setup for the site is correct. Eeking out the very last remaining old coins is my game, and they exist, albeit in drastically dwindling numbers. For the places around here to give anything further, I indeed need to be the safecracker!
I have considered looking downscale and will do some shallow water hunting when it gets warmer at some of the local beaches, I even bought a scoop! It is agreed that at SOME POINT...the search for old coins on public land will not be worth the effort.

You’re absolutely right Dancer, you couldn’t BE more right. However, the “safe” I’m trying to crack is this....I have heard more people say that they have taken their EQX to their “empty site” and immediately started having all kinds of success than I can count. What I’m trying to do is to make sure that I can either verify the claims or write them off(in my specific case). In order to do that I have to make sure my setup is correct, or at least I have to have confidence that the setup for the site is correct. Eeking out the very last remaining old coins is my game, and they exist, albeit in drastically dwindling numbers. For the places around here to give anything further, I indeed need to be the safecracker!
I have considered looking downscale and will do some shallow water hunting when it gets warmer at some of the local beaches, I even bought a scoop! It is agreed that at SOME POINT...the search for old coins on public land will not be worth the effort.

I can tell what you mean. Its the Challenge that gets us. Like when we're fishing it's always. "Gonna give it one more cast" Huh ha !

Also try field 2 I use it 95% of the time noise cancellation iron 0 recovery 4 and run my sensitivity as high as 25 and Find a ton of silver works well try it
Mark

IDX -- I have a video on my youtube channel where all coins we found (except maybe a 6" coin) were 7" deep or more. I have a 9 to 9 1/2" measured wheatie, live dig, among several other 8" plus coins. You are doing the right thing, with the right settings. But you need to be running hot, and I think F2 will help you. It's easier not to dig the iron, with F2. I always use Park 1. 50 tones, F2 = 0, recovery 3, and sensitivity as high as I can run it without major instability/EMI. NOTHING notched, everything accepted (horseshoe button on).

I think part of the issue is just what Sube said -- you are SO good with your CTX, that you cleaned things out to max depth! Others who are finding "more coins" at sites they hit with their CTX didn't NECESSARILY mean they were finding them deeper than with the CTX (though, I DO find coins slightly deeper than I could with FBS, in my dirt). It likely often just means finding ones that they missed with the CTX for WHATEVER reason (not necessarily depth). But I think if you are a highly skilled CTX user, and your site is not high in iron concentration, you MAY NOT find a ton more with the EQX. I have proven that to myself. It Is a great unit, and I make really nice finds with it. But my hardest-hit sites, that I literally DESTROYED with FBS, are NOT yielding any more coins than FBS did, in open (non-trashy) areas, for the most part. IF I was able to dig one or two deep wheats per trip, on average, with the CTX, in these types of spots, I'm still at one or two deep wheats, on average, with the EQX. It EXCELS in some sites, compared to FBS, but in others, performance is simply on-par with FBS (which is NOT a bad thing -- that is an INCREDIBLE accomplishment, IMO...to be called "equal with FBS").

Steve

Thanks a lot guys. Great thoughts Steve, can you link me up? I don’t know your channel info!

Jason
For first time nice video.
Two questions. What were your settings.
Both of you were using shovel diggers tso which on do you prefers

Doug, that was my video, so I think you were directing that question to me, and so I'll answer it with my thoughts. I prefer the Lesche 38D shovel (in places where a shovel-type digger is acceptable; it's not, obviously, in ALL places). The round blade on the 38D allows me to dig a nice round plug, especially in the clay-type dirt we have here (not so much at that spot, though), and then replace the plug very nicely. Otherwise, when a shovel is not preferable, I use the Lesche hand digger.

And, SORRY, Kevin! I don't know why I typed "Jason!" Brain fart! ;)

Steve

Sorry Steve I got it wrong. Must be the four walls.
what settings were you using. I’m sure those that want to go deep that would be useful to the.
your friend;
Doug