Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT - I got another bad coil!!!

au79

Got my Infinium back yesterday. Had sent it in to Garrett because the 8 mono was falsing so bad. I found it was the coil wire doing the noise when flexed near the control housing. When I set up the machine after receiving it (the box, 10x14 DD, 8 mono) yesterday it was a jaw dropper to start to hunt and have the same exact falsing with every swing. Again, I gently grasped the coil wire near the housing and gently flex the wire and.....bing bong bong.... This is a huge problem because I belt mount the box and when swung in each direction I get a false and at times in between swings. The more slack I leave in the coil wire the worse it gets. I have tried everything to get it quiet but the only thing that helps is to shaft mount the box so there is no flexing of the coil wire. My aging wrist and shoulder can't take the weight. I am going to call Garrett today to complain but I already know what the answer will be, " please, send it in and we'll check it out" - after all we only get to speak with customer service. This machine is going up for sale if Garrett does not bend over backwards to fix this problem.

If I wiggle my wires I tend to get some bing-bong also. I have a link which addresses some issues and has a great ground balancing article towards the end ov the article. I am not sure it will help, but from my experience, if I don't ground balance it probably, it falses constantly.

http://www.goldminingcentre.com.au/articles/Infinium%20Adrian%20Ross

Either way, I hope you get your issues resolved. I have been using the Infinium for several years and it has done an outstanding job of getting me gold rings.

Best of luck....

John

Thanks John -

I have read your article before. It was one of the factors that I based my decision on to buy the Infinium. A very well written article and written in real life use. Also, I agree with your approach and the process you use with ground balancing and the knob settings for achieving good results. After all I got that info from your article. Yes, I did the proper GB in both fast and slow and also, I was on familiar ground. The Infinium is exciting to hunt with and I found it exceptional for coin and relic hunting. Always exciting finding stuff that deep and that old. But, it is not going to work for me because of the falsing from the wire. I can't ignore that signal and have to swing over the spot several time and then decide it is nothing. I don't care for the 10x14DD altho it is much more quiet. Hope I have better luck with my next choice OR, Garrett comes out with Infinium II then I would have another look.

HI ray,
How many 8 inch mono's has Garrett given you?
Have you had the control box checked out?

If you hold the cable approx 12 inches from the plug and hold it steady against the control box and then move the cable just behind the plug, does it still create the same tones?
Do any of your other infinium coils produce the same random noises?

When you hip mount the box you must at all costs avoid leaving the cable hang loosely from the plug, the cable must be secured in such a way that there is no movement at the plug end. If the cable is allowed to hang freely from the plug you will eventually damage the cable where it enters the plug and ditto for the coil end of the cable. Run the cable straight up the shaft (secured in a couple of places) as far as the top of the plastic stem then wrap the remainder around the upper shaft as per the usual.
Also make sure that the plug is seated and connected correctly by aligning the pins with the control box receptical and pushing the plug in as far as you can and then tightent collar until it stops and then push the plug in a bit further and repeat this untill the plug is seated all the way in and is tight.
If you simply line the pins up and screw the plug all the way in in one go there is a chance that you will twist the rubber insulator surounding the pins which will then damage the pins and or the insulation enough to cause a bad/loose contact between the pins which will result in random tones whenever the cable is moved at a point close to the plug

Thanks for your reply Fishers Ghost and I want to apologize for giving John credit for your article. A great piece and written wonderfully.
Ok - I am very careful with connecting these plugs. Been doing it for a good many years with both underwater electronic gear and high pressure air connections for scuba and surface supply air. Altho I will agree these connectors for the Garrett detectors are quite delicate and need extra care when connecting so I take the extra care. I bought my Infinium in March 2012 - of course it came with the standard package with the 10x14DD on the S shaft. I swung that for about a month and decided it was a real wrist twister. By mid April I was ready to try the 8 mono for some relief from the weight so purchased the 8. I loved it and to my surprise discovered the 8 was very comparable to the 10x14DD in it's function so I was thrilled. The S shaft was still bothering my wrist however so by mid may I purchased an Anderson straight shaft and when I got it hooked up to the 8 I was very satisfied. Then the false signals started. Tried to put up with it for 4 - 5 weeks and realized it was a huge distraction and my hunting was becoming a frustration. So, in the middle of June sent the box and both coils to Garrett with detailed description of the problem and explained that to flex the coil wire near the housing caused false signals. I was told it would be running smooth and quiet when I got it back. They said the 10x14 was fine - the 8 mono was bad (whatever that means) and they checked the box.
I can't see a way to belt mount the box without having a loop from the shaft running to the box. I need some slack there to set the machine aside while digging. It is necessary to have some slack.
I can set the coil on the ground then gently grasp the wire by the box and make it false all day long by gently flexing it. The 10x14 does not do that.
Now, having the replacement coil come with the same problem (this new 8 started false signals immediately - with the first swing after ground balance) I am not in the mood to go through the packing and shipping and waiting another 3 wks. only to have the same results. When I called to speak to someone I was told to send it in! I feel Garrett has a problem with this and no matter what the solution I feel they should be the ones with this problem and not me. If the connections at the box are that delicate then it is not going to work for me. The machine is supposed to be hip mountable which requires some slack to work with. If it will damage the coil wire if all care is not taken then I need to move on. I can't put the box on my side - it's in the way when swinging - I wear it on the front of my right thigh so if this is going to damage the connection I have the wrong machine. To bad - the 8 mono with the straight shaft is "the bomb" I regret this has happened. PS - I just checked the pin connections on this new 8 and they look fine. I would consider any advice if you feel I have not taken the proper care in setting up the Infinium.

Thanks

Ray

Can we have a good clear close-up picture of the socket on the box and one of the coil plug.
What colour is the plug on the on the 14x10"DD and the 8"mono coils.

ivanll

Hi Ray, I'm sorry to hear about the 8" mono coil issue!!! I really like that coil but mostly use my 10x14 mono and have had it setup like yours in the past without issues.

I do run mine now on the Anderson but have it mounted to the rod. It sounds like to me a possible bad batch of coils as that's happened before (if I remember correctly)?
I WOULD definitely call Garrett and let them know how frustrated you are at this point..........even sending them a copy of this post and I believe they'll make it right for you!

Any issues I've had in the past (few) with repairs to Garrett were handled professionally and quickly! That 8" mono is deadly on DEEPER gold jewelry once mastered......don't give up on the Infinium!!! I run mine in some seriously bad black-sanded areas where my other water machines can't function as well!

I DO hope that everything works out to your satisfaction regarding this problem! Please keep us updated on the situation too!!!:thumbup:

diggindirt ~ I am Really Glad to hear this " Any issues I've had in the past (few) with repairs to Garrett were handled professionally and quickly! That 8" mono is deadly on DEEPER gold jewelry once mastered......don't give up on the Infinium!!! I run mine in some seriously bad black-sanded areas where my other water machines can't function as well! " as Mine will probably be here tomorrow or Saturday and I wont to use it on a 40mi. away Quartz/Gold Gulch in Central Oregon in Super-Iron hot turf.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ray (AU) , I agree with diggindirt Totally " don't give up on the Infinium!!! I run mine in some seriously bad black-sanded areas where my other water machines can't function as well ! I DO hope that everything works out to your satisfaction regarding this problem! Please keep us updated on the situation too !!! "

diggindirt would U take a look at new Post please ( [size=medium]Depth Difference ~ big mono & 8"[/size] )

Ok - I want to thank everyone for your encouragement. This has been a frustration for me and I may be running a bit on the discouraged side in my view. Almost sold the Infinium when I got an offer but decided to sleep on it and to let some time pass. Always take three deep breaths before acting. At least that's what Mom always told me.
I am going to try to get some close up photos of the pin connectors - the plug on my 10x14DD is black plastic - the plug on the 8 is chrome/metal - the wire on both coils looks the same - by the way, this new 8 Garrett sent to replace the first one is different in that the epoxy fill on the bottom is very smooth and black the returned coil had a ripple in the epoxy and was a greenish color. This replacement looks a lot nicer, at least the coil part of it. I am going to keep after Garrett on this to see what will happen. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.
Again, I would like to thank you all for your support

Ray from Vermont

I called Garrett today. Much to my surprise they were expecting me. I spoke to Myra in repair and she was on top of the whole story and knew about this forum and my post here. Well, I felt like the most important person in the world and with no further hassle there is a coil in the mail. I am grateful to all who helped me through the process and Myra made me feel like Kin. Thanks Garrett I'm looking forward to getting my Infinium back in the game.

Here are the photos of the plug for the coil wire and the box - visually they look as good as new to me.

[attachment 238207 coilwireplug.JPG]

[attachment 238208 boxplug.JPG]

Here's my experience. I initially tried using my 14" elliptical mono loop in a hip-mount configuration for use in a remote prospecting scenario. After a week or so I experienced the same problem with falsing as you've described. I anticipated this issue might well resurface even with a replacement coil because I was stressing the coil wire as a result of constantly bending and digging.

I decided to eliminate that likelihood by attaching the box to the stem. As with you, I found this configuration very heavy, unbalanced and uncomfortable...so I decided to place the box further behind my elbow. Yes... it still weighs the same but now feels much lighter and well-balanced on my arm. Perhaps you might be interested in doing something similar as illustrated in the photos below. Yes... its a PITA to have to reconfigure the unit, but the Infinium is well worth the effort. For my silver ore / nugget prospecting application the Garrett Infinium is without doubt the most capable unit I've used to date... thanks in large part to its ability to separate considerable high conductive iron trash from silver ores.

Jim H. (Canada)

[attachment 238272 iNFINIUMANDERSENSTEMMOUNT.JPG]​

[attachment 238273 INFINIUMMODIFIEDORIGINALMOUNT.JPG]​

Ok, I need to up-date my last post - after I had spoke to Mira/Myra at Garrett's I booted up and posted the info about the coil being in the mail. Little did I know that I had a message on my phone from Garrett stating that they are all out and back ordered on the 8 mono. Garrett is supposed to start the manufacture of more of these coils. Delivery date for these coils at this time (for me) is not known. So as the clock ticks along I am waiting.....

HumblePie - Thanks for your post. That shaft with the box mounted like that looks great! I can see the weight distribution of the box would be much easier to take being back under the elbow. Must be a great relief on the wrist and much better balance with the bigger coils. Would I have to be an engineer to set this up? How did you extend the shaft in the back like that? Well, after seeing your set-up at least I know I'm on the right track with switching to the straight shaft with this machine. Thanks much

Ray... I rummaged around in our camping gear and found an old aluminum tent pole that would slide into the Infinium's stem. I cut it to the proper length and attached it with quarter-inch bolts, nuts and washers. Crude but effective, took about an hour to do and well worth the effort...

The Andersen stem....I found it was easier to reverse everything on that stem... but as memory serves (don't have it handy to check)... I recollect having to drill a few holes to get it configured satisfactorily. Regular drill bits... quick and easy... and worthwhile.

I'm wondering if Garrett would be willing to arrange for an 8" mono to be sent out to you from a nearby dealer to avoid any further inconvenience...

Jim.

HumblePie - thanks for your description of that modification. That might work nearly as well as hip mounting. As far as getting a coil from a local dealer....I think I will wait to see what this new run of coils Garrett is making will look like - may be a week or two to wait but maybe worth it. I'm going to look around for parts for that extension. Thanks

au79 said:
Ok, I need to up-date my last post - after I had spoke to Mira/Myra at Garrett's I booted up and posted the info about the coil being in the mail. Little did I know that I had a message on my phone from Garrett stating that they are all out and back ordered on the 8 mono. Garrett is supposed to start the manufacture of more of these coils. Delivery date for these coils at this time (for me) is not known. So as the clock ticks along I am waiting.....

I've had an ongoing issue with the 8" falsing. See the post on "cant get the 8" to quiet down". I talked late last week to Sue and she to had been reading my post here and was familiar with the problem. Initially, she wanted me to send back the box and coil. I was not willing to do that as I have already sent the box back after they replaced the first 8". They replaced the box. The replacement coil did the same thing on the new box and both boxes run the 14mono with no issues. We agreed that they would just send a new 8". This will be the third one. I have not received the call stating they are out of stock and am hoping they got the new run in. I do not want to receive an old batch that will more than likely have the same issue as the previous 2. Have you received the new one or got any information from them on an expected ship date?
All that being said, I really like the Infinium. Once you get past the learning curve you have a good idea what you have before you dig. It goes much deeper than anything I have used in the past. It cuts through mineralized soil like butter. Myra and Sue are very helpful and it is obvious Garrett does stand behind their machines.

Well Ya'll ~ Just Received my New 8" Coil w/ Silver connector from txpremium (They just Sell stuff). took my Finny outside , unplugged 14", conn. the 8" then fired it up (at least i got 4 battery beeps) GB'ed it fast then slow then Lock all at 0 Disc. then i did one tiny Freak adjust - runs fairly Non-falsing. Tweeked on Cable near box , Does the same thing as Rays - Back & forth then I pinched it off as if Velcroed to shaft & it's OK . Actually if You Bend it enuf near Coil it will do the same thing (I Think that's where Bumping Coils Falses AS WELL) but not quite as Sensitive. I Wont Send My Finny Box Period ~ Because I NEED It For Prospecting (THE PROBLEM IS NOT IN THE CONTROL BOX CHARLIE GARRETT, MY 10X14 MONO OR DD DO NOT DO THIS PERIOD - PLEASE START QUALITY CONTROL ON THESE COILS , OK ?) I will wait & see when Ray & Others & Garret get them Resolved. Certainly Not a Big Enuf Prob. for me to Consider abanoning Finny. I Decided that I'm Only going to Nugget Shoot With the Big Mono for Gold after reading the Article of March 12 Gold Prospectors (GPAA) on Monster Nuggy Hunting , in Fact ~ Ghost Master or Ivanll or Others , DOES ANYONE MAKE A 16" OR LARGER MONO FOR FINNY ( That the Cable Doesn't False - HaHa) Someone ought to, Cause I Need to go Deep as Possible on some of the Big placer areas we Hunt . Thanks - Ken

Sue & Who else works in the Service Dept ? I Cant Remember the Name of the Dude I spoke to about Their Crappy Factory Battery Racks :(

[size=large]Oh & ps ~ This is Not a Loose Pin Problem (Connectors are Way Solid) This is Soley a Cable Problem[/size]

NathanW -

I have not heard anything more from the gals at Garrett. They are as helpful as they can be working with what they have to work with. I could call the number they gave me but I think I'll wait to see if they remember my needs and get this coil to me. I can only chase my tail for just so long. The 8 mono has a problem and it looks like, so far, the customer has had to reconfigure and "post production fabricate" different mounting options so as to live "quietly" with the 8 mono. - When are they going to come out with the 8 mono wireless coil??? My Infinium is in the closet - my AT Gold is sweet and deep and has a voice like an angel. I would follow the ATG anywhere - also, I'm talking with the people from Oz

NathanW - today is the 19th of July. It has only been 3-4 days since I heard Garrett is out of the 8 mono. I expect to wait a while and hope this problem with the 8 is solved for good or - erase the "hip mount" option from the list of ways to mount the box. I am going to modify my straight shaft for a rear mount for the box. Seems it will be the best route of all the mounting choices. Kind of like a Minelab except I won't need a back pack to carry the battery. Nathan did you receive your new 8?

au79 said:
NathanW - today is the 19th of July. It has only been 3-4 days since I heard Garrett is out of the 8 mono. I expect to wait a while and hope this problem with the 8 is solved for good or - erase the "hip mount" option from the list of ways to mount the box. I am going to modify my straight shaft for a rear mount for the box. Seems it will be the best route of all the mounting choices. Kind of like a Minelab except I won't need a back pack to carry the battery. Nathan did you receive your new 8?

Ray- I havent heard anything from Garrett and havent called them. I would hope they contact us in one way or the other and give us a status. They have both email addy and phone #'s. I quit hip mounting long ago only because I found it akward to have the box connected while kneeled down and digging targets. I dont really have an issue with the stock shaft but do think that a straight shaft might be the better way to go. I just want to make one myself. I can get the shaft but still am not sure how to do the handle portion. Any suggestions?