Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT - I got another bad coil!!!

Hi Nathan (& Ray and All) ~ The Handles are sometimes called "Bicycle Bar Ends" (7/8"o.d.) on eBay , I'm going out to Finish Epoxying the Cap on the Grip in 5 minutes. Ck Pic on Bare one. I'll upload Pic of Grip on it when I get back in from Shop. I would be Glad to help You Configure a simple Straight Shaf (This one was a Mop Handle My Gal was ready to Toss out ~ 1 length of Aluminum : ) . I only Drill the Holes I need for Pre-Determined Length (just me) I'll Post the completed Finny by 9:eek:opm Tonite - as I'm Leaving in the Morning to go Camping to the Quartz/Gold spot for 3 days (Central Oregon) So I've got to get Finny ready to Roll.

[size=medium]These Grips come in 14" length with caps - Both Ends (Flybikes Brand / Fino (7/8"id) Model, Apple Green ) Groovey huh ? They Feel way better than Foam ones & More solid . One seller on ebonk has them cheapest (if U likey) ,cycleclubsports. I use everything for 7/8" tube & Bar ends (handle) or 22.2 mm (inside Diam. of shaft & handle is 3/4") I.D. of Fino Grips is for 7/8" (22.2mm) handle Bars. Check Finny LS & Lobo ST Pic. Ken[/size]

NathanW -

I am new at this fabrication process myself. Working with metal and bolts and drills is more or less new to me. I am going to add an extension to my Anderson shaft. I have all the parts now and need to get to my friends house for a drill press. I don't quite trust my free hand abilities to get the holes straight. Ken~Digs seems to have the inventive mind around here. I mean, this guy can take a mop handle and come up with a MD shaft! Ha! Hope you find those nuggets Ken!! Let us know.

Well, just received the 8" in the mail today. Silver connectors and I can see the windings through the cable. Only mention this because I thought Garrett upgraded the cables long ago.
Getting ready to connect it to the box. I'll take it outside and play with it a while but live in the city where there is a lot of EI. Real test is this weekend when I am far away from any noise. I have learned though to bring the 10x14.
Wish me luck. This will be #3 and the second one on a new box.

Good luck with the new coil NathanW - I am very happy with my new setup. Let us know how it turns out for you.

NathanW said:
Well, just received the 8" in the mail today. Silver connectors and I can see the windings through the cable. Only mention this because I thought Garrett upgraded the cables long ago.
Getting ready to connect it to the box. I'll take it outside and play with it a while but live in the city where there is a lot of EI. Real test is this weekend when I am far away from any noise. I have learned though to bring the 10x14.
Wish me luck. This will be #3 and the second one on a new box.

This sounds like a very old coil (New but old stock maybe)
My DD has this cable fitted and it works fine. I find it strange that Garrett cannot supply you with a more rescent coil when they can be purchased on Ebay??

that's what I was thinking. Maybe because they are out of stock and just looked around for anything they had. Also, they wanted me to return the box but they have already replaced it once. the box works fine with the 10x14 so I was unwilling to return it. they said if the replacement 8 had the same issues, they would require I return the box before they would do anything else.

The new box had the black anodized coating on the connectors. When I asked them about it, they said the coating was new stock as they found out the silver was prone to corrosion from salt water and changed it to prevent this. The 10x14 that came with the new box had the same black connectors so I found it odd that the replacement 8 had the older version of silver connectors. Also, its my understanding the cable was redone for better shielding and you could tell the difference by weather you could see the windings on the coil. The 10x14 cable is heavy and smooth, no visible windings. The windings on the 8 stick out like a sore thumb. Really disheartening. I paid good money for the thing. Because of the issues, I wish I would have bought something a little more modern.

I dont like to bad mouth Garrett. I like the concept of the infinium, although somewhat outdated. Sometimes I am amazed at how deep it goes. The whole thing just gives me a bad taste in my mouth.

When you say you can see the windings in the coil,;Are you seeing the wire through the cable insulation and the cable is rough and bumpy or can you actually see the coil windings through the potting epoxy on the bottom of the coil?
The bottom of the coil should be black glossy and smooth

Hang in there NathanW - remember, you got the Infinium for a reason. That reason is still there you just need to get over all the bumps with the Finny. I was distraught with frustration with mine (nearly to tears) but a little birdie, and lots of folks here, told me it would be worth it. They were right!! Nothing will run in the minerals like the Finny for this price, no other water machine will do as well as the Finny.
NathanW, start a new thread all your own, tell your story and express your frustration and highlight your attempts to solve this problem with Garrett. I wouldn't flame the Garrett team or the machine but you need to make some demands after what you've been thru. As a previously frustrated Finny owner I know how you feel and I will join your thread. The end of my story will be about how satisfied I was when I finally got past the falsing. I'll watch for your "new post" if you chose to make it. I think your story and your problem needs to be front and center after your "three strikes"

Hang in there

Fishers Ghost said:
When you say you can see the windings in the coil,;Are you seeing the wire through the cable insulation and the cable is rough and bumpy or can you actually see the coil windings through the potting epoxy on the bottom of the coil?
The bottom of the coil should be black glossy and smooth

I am seeing the wire through the cable insulation. The 8 that came with the original purchase and the first replacement were not that way. They were heavy, smooth and both had the black connectors leading me to believe they were the newer version.

au79 said:
Hang in there NathanW - remember, you got the Infinium for a reason. That reason is still there you just need to get over all the bumps with the Finny. I was distraught with frustration with mine (nearly to tears) but a little birdie, and lots of folks here, told me it would be worth it. They were right!! Nothing will run in the minerals like the Finny for this price, no other water machine will do as well as the Finny.
NathanW, start a new thread all your own, tell your story and express your frustration and highlight your attempts to solve this problem with Garrett. I wouldn't flame the Garrett team or the machine but you need to make some demands after what you've been thru. As a previously frustrated Finny owner I know how you feel and I will join your thread. The end of my story will be about how satisfied I was when I finally got past the falsing. I'll watch for your "new post" if you chose to make it. I think your story and your problem needs to be front and center after your "three strikes"

Hang in there

Your right on my own post. I actually did start one "still cant get the 8" to quiet down". I started posting on this one as we were experiencing similar problems. One post lead to another and before you know it, well here I am and there is where I should be.

OK you have an older coil pre the cable upgrade.
This should still work fine but because the cable has an foil screen only it can be bamaged more easily than the newer cable. These older cables were not noisy and my original 10 x 14 DD has this cable ; This coil has had a lot of use.
So even though the coil you have may be older it should still work perfectly.

Well FG - this is a question I have asked before and never got an answer. Suddenly the truth pops out! Garrett is sending people old refurbished equipment! Ha, my guess was right! As a Finny owner this worries me. I feel if I spend these large dollars on equipment in 2012 I should get "new" 2012 equipment not a 2005 refurbished part. "Oh, it has an old wire on it but it should work good" - FG, how long are you going to be trying to smooth all the ruffled feathers involved with the 8 mono???? I'm from the old school of thought around this. When someone puts their $$$$ down they should get what they paid for - and - it should do what is said it can do. This problem is Garrett's problem and should not be put onto the consumer and especially with refurbished equipment. NOW, my next question - recently Garrett told me they were starting up manufacture of the 8 mono because they were all "out of stock". Why did NathanW get a refurb if Garrett just finished a run of new coils two weeks ago??

I am not trying to Smooth Ruffled feathers re the 8 in mono, I am simply pointing out that the old model coil is fine and and works at leasst as well as the more recent model with the upgraded cabIe.I do agree that Garrett should not be shipping old and superseded stock.
It sounds like the Infinium is no longer being spares supported.

FG - Thanks for the reply. We can both agree on this in the end. Well, all this may have a silver lining then. Maybe Garrett will grace us with the Finny 2 - if so I hope they have been listening! I still go by the old school of thought where a mans word and a hand shake makes a solid contract. Good gosh man - if they came up with the 5x8 DD on the ATG (the blade runner) they should be able to nail down an awesome coil for the Finny on the next go around. I'm hoping -

Fishers Ghost said:
I am not trying to Smooth Ruffled feathers re the 8 in mono, I am simply pointing out that the old model coil is fine and and works at leasst as well as the more recent model with the upgraded cabIe.I do agree that Garrett should not be shipping old and superseded stock.
It sounds like the Infinium is no longer being spares supported.

If I had to guess...I would think the last production run of 8" mono coils had the noted issues and Garrett didn't want anymore out there until it was resolved?

Perhaps, Garrett is working on the issue (hence the delay) we can only hope......maybe a better improved coil???

I could also see them having old stock that has (hopefully) been tested ok to hold over any users until??? Now I don't really agree with that and Garrett should tell the user so you have the option.

I own both an older & newer 8" mono and both work fine. Now with that said, I actually think the older coil is a slight bit hotter on targets but needs to be tamed down a little more on the sensitivity. I've made plenty of excellent finds using all the Finny coils.

Thanks & happy hunting to all:cheers: