Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I chased a MDer OFF MY BEACH....................

morrow01 said:
There is nothing that gets me upset quicker than some idiot leaving holes and trash in a park but as for him hunting the beach there is a lot of beach if every time i go to the beach and hunt and some one else showed up doing the same thing and i got pissed then cops would take me in first alot of the time my family gos with me to the beach 2nd you do not own it every one dos if you get that mad just turn and work the other way I'm in west Florida can not tell you how many out of state detectors there are should i tell them go home northerners no just move over or pack it up for the day just a few weeks ago i was in Naples 4 hrs south of me working a spot with my dfx then some one past me using a beach magnet soon he was heading back working very fast he got nothing then i past where he was just at and got a gold heart charm. if you get that upset then go at night are one week day because if you tried to chase me off then one or the two of us would in up getting hurt
rt

I think the point here is that the dude was being rude, and on top of it leaving trash he dug up. I don't think the point originally made had anything to do with territory at all, or ownership. But more a matter of whats the right thing to do. e.g. give the other guy a little space, take your trash you dig, and enjoy the hobby. Granted it's also the guys home territory, and he'd like to keep it nice which I tend to agree with.

Aurium said:
morrow01 said:
There is nothing that gets me upset quicker than some idiot leaving holes and trash in a park but as for him hunting the beach there is a lot of beach if every time i go to the beach and hunt and some one else showed up doing the same thing and i got pissed then cops would take me in first alot of the time my family gos with me to the beach 2nd you do not own it every one dos if you get that mad just turn and work the other way I'm in west Florida can not tell you how many out of state detectors there are should i tell them go home northerners no just move over or pack it up for the day just a few weeks ago i was in Naples 4 hrs south of me working a spot with my dfx then some one past me using a beach magnet soon he was heading back working very fast he got nothing then i past where he was just at and got a gold heart charm. if you get that upset then go at night are one week day because if you tried to chase me off then one or the two of us would in up getting hurt
rt

I think the point here is that the dude was being rude, and on top of it leaving trash he dug up. I don't think the point originally made had anything to do with territory at all, or ownership. But more a matter of whats the right thing to do. e.g. give the other guy a little space, take your trash you dig, and enjoy the hobby. Granted it's also the guys home territory, and he'd like to keep it nice which I tend to agree with.

"THANKYOU Aurium". Thats all I was trying to say.

ferdware said:
I am not being territorial. I have stopped to talk with other MDers before that were working the same beach as I was, But we both had respect for one another by working in opposite directions. I enjoy the company and comparing finds. But that guy this morning was a disgrace to MDing...

QUESTION. Was I wrong in how I reacted ???

Thank you for letting me VENT..

FERD

As far as trash goes, yeah, you can try and shame someone into doing the right thing, but they already know how they are "supposed" to be acting, and are making a conscious decision not to collect the trash, which means when out of sight (specifically your sight) they will go back to leaving the trash.

But I do think you are being a bit over protective of "your" beach. I have to drive 2-3 hours to visit the beaches in my state. They are typically narrow, tightly packed, and only a few hundred yards long (so all metal detectorists must cover the same area). I paid the same entrance fee (few free ones round here), and I drove MUCH farther than you, and unless I leave in the wee hours of the morning I will be working your leftovers as well. The least you can do is not give me the evil eye if I happen to wander into your "gridded" section (which happens to be the best 1000ft x 30ft stretch of the entire beach).

If I kept the same attitude that you have, I would never let anyone onto the 300+ year old homesteads and farms that in my area that I have permission to hunt (after all most of them aren't even 50 yards across, and I GOT THERE FIRST!).

And long ways from the 30ft by 1000 ft stretch, Quote:The least you can do is not give me the evil eye if I happen to wander into your "gridded" section (which happens to be the best 1000ft x 30ft stretch of the entire beach).
And what does how far you drove to hunt have to do with good manners and not cutting close in front of a fellow beach hunter.
Same thing applies to fishing.If you have good manners you do not go around a person working a shore line and start fishing a few yards in front of them .Being at a site first should carry a bit of weight so to speak.Let those same folks who blunder in front of you be in a line to check out and cut in front of them and see if they notice.
It all comes down to common courtesy that is not so common any more.Especially if cutting ahead of the other fellow may reward you with a nice find,Ray.

you came on way too strong for a first post........clean it up and try again. Also re-read all posts...........his problem was with the trash left on the beach even though he didn't like being crowded, he spoke to him only of the trash he left.

You were out of line. WAY out.

Ray-Mo. said:
If you have good manners you do not go around a person working a shore line and start fishing a few yards in front of them .Being at a site first should carry a bit of weight so to speak.Let those same folks who blunder in front of you be in a line to check out and cut in front of them and see if they notice.
It all comes down to common courtesy that is not so common any more.Especially if cutting ahead of the other fellow may reward you with a nice find,Ray.

I think most of us will agree that leaving behind trash is discourteous (including those who do it themselves). But somehow the rest of your manners seem oddly self serving. Apparently it is alright to disparage someone else because they are a "Weekend Warrior", or because they do not have the proper hunting technique. And of course, treating a guest (a non-local) better than you treat yourself is quite out of style (but my grandmother still saves the best china and the largest portions for guests, even un-invited ones).

Believe it or not, the beach and its contents (at any one point in time) are a finite resource, and even more so for those who have lesser access to it. Maybe what you deem to be a reasonable standoff distance seems like more than enough room to share to someone else, someone who doesn't have the advantage of being a local.

I think you may have used the wrong store analogy (someone cutting in front of the line). I think it is more like a store sale on meat. Since you live close to the store and can get there before everyone else, you buy all the best sale cuts. But not only that, you sit in front of the butcher and keep him busy cutting new steaks you intend to claim rather than let the guy who drove across town to get one steak have his chance. A bit long, but I think it illustrates the point.

But its late, and I am ranting, and I know I have little chance of changing your mind, so I will give up at this point and not try to further my argument should you choose to respond.

After all it is very unsporting of you to start early and try to hunt as much area as possible when you know others may wish to hunt as well.Detecting is a "hobby" to be enjoyed in ones leisure time and should not be competive at all. After all it is not about making a nice find but rather about enyoying the fresh air and getting your exercise.You might even consider leaving a nice gold sounding signal/target undug from time to time for your fellow enthusiasts.
What were you thinking :rofl:

Ray you may have been joking but I have to do it for Larry all the time. Rob

:rofl: I don't mind one bit Roy, he leaves some very nice targets for me to find. :beers:

Hello to all,

This will probably be my last post on this topic. Some people are misunderstanding me and I really dont want to rub anybody the wrong way on this site.

With that being said.
There has been quite a few people mentioning that I have the best spot or the only spot on the entire beach. NOW LISTEN. I will say it once more. I live in SC on the shore at Myrtle Beach (a tourist town). So there is plenty great beach areas to work. In fact I think it goes the whole coast. ALSO just an example to prove to some people that I am not being territorial. The other night I traveled about 15 minutes north of the beach I usually hunt. Well I had got out there about 11:30 pm by about 2:00 am I noticed another MDer then another. Within two minutes there were 7 other MDers out there. BUT, everyone was respecting the others space. The first guy walked by me, gave me a nod and proceeded to walk a good way down the beach before he began detecting. ( I wish I could have talked to him, he looked like he knew what he was doing ). The other guys had all kept a respectible space from me as well as I did with them.
I did however want to talk to them so I worked my way over to them. I kinda feel bad about that. I should have just turned off my machine and walked over instead of MDing right up to them. But I just wanted to meet them. Turns out they were actually all together and down here from TN to do some hunting. I thought that was pretty cool. We talked for a few minutes then all went our way.

This is just an example of what usually happens. The original story is just ONE story of a particular incident. Which I was a bit torn about. That was the whole reason I made this post. I wanted to know if I was in the right or not (about the trash).
I think a few people took it a little far or defensive. The majority understood exactly what I was asking.

Thankyou for your comments.
FERD

This topic has been run in the ground and has nothing to do with the V3 specifically. It should have been moved to the Beach and Water forum long ago.